7800X3D will be an utter failure of a CPU

So, most of the content in that video posted above went over my head.

I bought the ROG Strix B650E-E gaming wifi for the 7800X3D and am going to try assembling the build this weekend (my first time building a pc).

What do I need to know? I’m already apprehensive because I’ve never done this before. Seeing a burnt up motherboard and CPU doesn’t… alleviate my… apprehension. LOL.

Cliffs Notes version - Asus was putting out bios that was causing too much voltage on their motherboards for the x3d chips and causing high temps to destroy the cpu and motherboard and then when they either got called out on it or realized it through a combination of investigations (Gamers Nexus), they accepted no blame and even went as far as to attempt to quiet the consumers via a form of bribery.

Long version but still short: There appears to be a few different factors at play.

1. There is poor communication or a lack of understanding between AMD and their board partners on basically everything regarding the AM5 platform and it looks like the x3d cpus are very delicate and extra care is necessary on the bios front that these board partners provide because Gamers Nexus did notice some voltage fluctuations that were over spec on Gigabyte and AsRock boards however, it wasn't as catastrophic as ASUS because the ASUS bios appeared to be substandard compared to the other board partners even after multiple revisions.

2. ASUS has proven to be extremely unethical and anti consumer in their practices which isn't a surprise on this message board.

3. finally because I don't want to type out a wall of text, recommendation for ASUS motherboard owners is to check the voltage settings and keep your bios updated and if possible avoid ASUS motherboards and its looking like a bunch of tech youtubers and general word of mouth is going to be very bad for ASUS as a company going forward.

my own opinion: I'm currently on a 5800x3d with a gigabyte aorus master and the whole AM5 platform even though appears to be awesome is something I'm going to skip entirely because I don't want to deal with these issues. I'm gonna ride my system out for quite a few years and see how the dust clears but this is likely my last foray into the AMD cpu world and will probably go back to Intel for my primary gaming rig whenever that happens if I don't get killed by some worldwide pandemic or world war or crazy health issue or just the flat out violence that affects us poor schmucks trying to mind our own business and live our lives in America these days.

Oh and ASUS is on my NONO list.

Can anyone recommend a motherboard for the 7800X3D. I think I should return the unopened ASUS Strix B650E.

This is for a gaming-only build.

I bought CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 5600 (PC5 44800) memory. And I’ll be running a 4090 on a 1200 watt psu (the Corsair shift).

And if you didn’t see from my posts above (sorry if you did), this will be my first build.

Thank you. I love you all.
I've been very happy with my MSI B650 tomahawk.

Also if your ram is unopened, 6000 CL30 is recognized as the sweet spot ram for the 7800x3d.

Also if your ram is unopened, 6000 CL30 is recognized as the sweet spot ram for the 7800x3d.
True it doesn't want or need much. It is the budget champ and no experience needed platform (in most ways :ROFLMAO: . Does Intel beat it? Ya in a lot of situations but better buy $$top RAM and know how to OC it and the CPU to get there. Oh and buy a bigger PS and HS/F to allow that performance/$$$.
It is [H]Ocp so not tying to sway the good guys here, but if you want close to top with minimal in, don't get much sweeter then the 7800X3D.

Last edited:

Be aware that the MSI board is not a B650E like the ASUS board. The difference is that the PCI-E x16 slot is version 4.0 instead of 5.0, and only one of the M.2 slots supports PCI-E 4.0 bandwidth. MSI currently doesn't make any B650E boards.

I'm gonna get killed here for what I'm about to say, but it seems to me that those new 7000 x3D processors are lemons. I'd never get one. There's so much bad news about them. So much complication about dual ccd's AND core affinity issues AND the stupid overvolting from Asus frying stuff AND now we get to know that the 7800x3D is a costly and puny weakling compared to its own siblings... I don't know, red team needs to put their stuff together or it's all gonna be a humongous failure.

Can anyone recommend a motherboard for the 7800X3D. I think I should return the unopened ASUS Strix B650E.

I bought CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 5600 (PC5 44800) memory. And I’ll be running a 4090 on a 1200 watt psu (the Corsair shift).

And if you didn’t see from my posts above (sorry if you did), this will be my first build.

If Asus is off the list and I’m a buyer today for an ATX board I like the AsRock B650e Taichi or the 650e Steel Legend right now. The B650e Riptide wifi looks decent as well. May be worth a look.

Load EXPO! profile then set Vsoc, Vcore, vddio/mc and monitor. Not really that tough.
You guys put the soft in HARDOCP.
Could you unpack that for me? I’d appreciate it.

I’m beginning to think that this whole Asus is evil thing might be a bit overblown? I see the Strix B650e reviewing well, and it’s certainly sold well - wouldn’t we be hearing from all these people with damaged PCs?

What percentage of people, I wonder, are having major issues? I’m just wondering if going through the fuss and bother of returning this board is actually something I need to do? Truth be told, I’d like to begin my build tomorrow (Saturday being my day off).

Really not sure about this?

Last edited:
I'm gonna get killed here for what I'm about to say, but it seems to me that those new 7000 x3D processors are lemons. I'd never get one. There's so much bad news about them. So much complication about dual ccd's AND core affinity issues AND the stupid overvolting from Asus frying stuff AND now we get to know that the 7800x3D is a costly and puny weakling compared to its own siblings... I don't know, red team needs to put their stuff together or it's all gonna be a humongous failure.
I’m certain it won’t be seen as a failure but some teething issues are certainly a thing. This is AMD’s first gen DDR5 platform and it feels similar to first gen Ryzen in some ways. We have bad bios versions and sometimes it’s being pissy with ram and now a few popped CPUs.. My 7700x system has been pretty much gravy though. Maybe it’s luck or maybe it’s because I have no issue getting my hands dirty in the bios and making things work? I can see how frustrating it could be and even as an experienced hand if I had (or have) any serious hassles with my AM5 build it’s back to Lga1700. I sold that setup and it was absolutely fine once dialed in.

I’m wondering if there’s maybe too much

Could you unpack that for me? I’d appreciate it.
Keep 1.3v or lower by offset or pinning the voltage for those exept Vcore. I'm still dialing in that one.

There's just too many non-enthusiasts buying it too early.

Last edited:
If you are going to build a 7800x3d based system, don't use EXPO settings. Manually enter in the timing information from the box. Secondary timings are for people that want to push the edge, but slap the 7800x3d in amd pbo eco 65w, set voltage on soc, vdd, ram, cl timings off the box and you will be within 95% of the potential of the system. Because of the failures that have occurred on other boards, I would just not trust any of them to be honest with implementing expo correctly. It's just that ASUS also is doubling down on their bottom line protection rather than owning up to they being the biggest offender.

Reactions: DocNo
like this

I’ve had positive results with my Gigabyte B650 DS3H. Performance has matched my expectations and perhaps more importantly hwmonitor says my voltages are within specs.

I don't know if I'd call them lemons, but they definitely took the wonderful idea of 5800X3D and ran it into the ground in true AMD fashion. Someday we'll find out why they really slapped 3D cache on 3 SKUs when 1 when would have been fine without most of the headaches.

I don't blame AMD for the mobo incompetence. That's where the early-adopter tax is paid. Also, being scared that the BIOS readouts are not actually reflecting true voltages is not "soft". It's called being pragmatic with expensive hardware. You all can piss off with that "Hard" narrative. Unless you're whipping out the multimeter and checking, your manual settings don't impress me. It's figuratively in the video.

Guys, don’t get crazy. I’ve seen tons of antagonistic, or just plain belligerent posts, at other forums, and ultimately you just shake your head and leave.

This is a good forum, with lots of friendly, helpful people. It seems like a more mature group here - am I wrong about this?

Anyway, I’ve gotten good advice here personally!

Guys, don’t get crazy. I’ve seen tons of antagonistic, or just plain belligerent posts, at other forums, and ultimately you just shake your head and leave.

This is a good forum, with lots of friendly, helpful people. It seems like a more mature group here - am I wrong about this?

Anyway, I’ve gotten good advice here personally!
Yes, a lot of us are old-timer's that have "been there, done that" and don't feel a need to get aggressive or show off. If you don't like/want our advice, it's no skin off our backs... so to speak. I've actually been here since 1999 but had to create a new account because back in the day you couldn't use free email accounts (like gmail, yahoo, etc) for your profile, and I lost my info when I came back from an overseas military tour. Never thought back then how cool I'd be now if I had a joined date from last century, heh.

Yes, a lot of us are old-timer's that have "been there, done that" and don't feel a need to get aggressive or show off. If you don't like/want our advice, it's no skin off our backs... so to speak. I've actually been here since 1999 but had to create a new account because back in the day you couldn't use free email accounts (like gmail, yahoo, etc) for your profile, and I lost my info when I came back from an overseas military tour. Never thought back then how cool I'd be now if I had a joined date from last century, heh.
Not that you probably care any more with your 3,000 post count, but I had a mod locate my old account under an earthlink email that wasn't active any more and update the e-mail for me!

So to be certain:

I bought an Asus Strix B650E-E motherboard (I decided not to return this board for one made by a different manufacturer) and the 7800X3D.

What should I do before turning on the PC for the first time…

A) Do nothing, and just update the bios afterwards.
B) With the CPU uninstalled flash the bios.

Which bios version should I be using?

So to be certain:

I bought an Asus Strix B650E-E motherboard (I decided not to return this board for one made by a different manufacturer) and the 7800X3D.

What should I do before turning on the PC for the first time…

A) Do nothing, and just update the bios afterwards.
B) With the CPU uninstalled flash the bios.

Which bios version should I be using?
if it has flash back or whatever its called, use it, or just update the bios asap
the new one.
if this is you first build call an experience friend to come help.

Reactions: Mega6
like this
if it has flash back or whatever its called, use it, or just update the bios asap
the new one.
if this is you first build call an experience friend to come help.
Which bios version should I update to?

The latest beta, or the latest non-beta, or perhaps something even earlier?

Anybody?

Which bios version should I update to?

The latest beta, or the latest non-beta, or perhaps something even earlier?

Anybody?
id do the non and then make sure to manual soc voltage of 1.2-1.25v

Reactions: noko
like this
id do the non and then make sure to manual soc voltage of 1.2-1.25v
Thank you, pendragon.

I’ll let you know how it goes. I’m expecting this whole process - from the build through to the installation of Windows 11 - to be… um, a learning experience.

LOL.

I already have a 3090/9900k that runs okay-ish, so my attitude going into this is to go slow, and also with an expectation that something is going to go terribly wrong, at which time I’ll have to try and ‘work the problem’. Unfortunately, I’m the type of person who gets easily frustrated.

Hopefully I won’t be on the floor weeping with self pity, or wishing that I had bitten the bullet and ordered the pc from the outrageously expensive Origin PC (I basically purchased all Corsair parts, so I know how much money I’m saving by building this pc myself: $1,600 CAD, actually… an absurd markup).

Thanks again. Wish me luck everyone. I love you all!

Thank you, pendragon.

I’ll let you know how it goes. I’m expecting this whole process - from the build through to the installation of Windows 11 - to be… um, a learning experience.

LOL.

I already have a 3090/9900k that runs okay-ish, so my attitude going into this is to go slow, and also with an expectation that something is going to go terribly wrong, at which time I’ll have to try and ‘work the problem’. Unfortunately, I’m the type of person who gets easily frustrated.

Hopefully I won’t be on the floor weeping with self pity, or wishing that I had bitten the bullet and ordered the pc from the outrageously expensive Origin PC (I basically purchased all Corsair parts, so I know how much money I’m saving by building this pc myself: $1,600 CAD, actually… an absurd markup).

Thanks again. Wish me luck everyone. I love you all!
You'll be fine. Just ask for help if you get stuck. Building a computer is just a process that takes time and repetition is the best learning tool. Eventually you make enough mistakes to know what not to do and suddenly it's easy. Everyone has been there.

...what are you talking about? This makes literally zero sense. Puny? This sounds like the guy who was trying to say the 5800x3d was a "slow" processor. lmao
Puny if compared to its own siblings, as I said. Unless you're a CS:GO player, where the 7800x3D is king, it won't be very wise to get that chip just to have about the same performance level of other AMD chips and even Intel cheaper chips, without paying 3D premium price. If I were to upgrade now, I'd get a 13600k, a cheap mobo, keep my DDR4 sticks and just be happy for years to come without the multiple issues that AM5 has been showing. Just my two cents.

Frustrating? LOL
Build 286/386/486 PC and then build your 3090/9900K again and tell me then it was frustrating 😋

Puny if compared to its own siblings, as I said. Unless you're a CS:GO player, where the 7800x3D is king, it won't be very wise to get that chip just to have about the same performance level of other AMD chips and even Intel cheaper chips, without paying 3D premium price. If I were to upgrade now, I'd get a 13600k, a cheap mobo, keep my DDR4 sticks and just be happy for years to come without the multiple issues that AM5 has been showing. Just my two cents.
Or even 13600KF to not have to ever see anything related to iGPU in either BIOS or OS and to save few bucks.
Really the only beef I have with this CPU is typical Intel socket change shenanigans. Would be nice to be able to change it to 15600K or something like that in the future.
Unless maybe these 151 pins do something super cool and meaningful other than being there for "improved power delivery" on these supposedly more power efficient CPUs 🫣

Intel is king in CS:GO. Or AMD non X3D CPUs. Wrong example :p
In my mind Intel is king but not because of CS:GO performance or anything like that but because if your cooler falls of your CPU while you play it won't blow up

Apparently insight into differences between Intel vs AMD from all these years ago is somehow still relevant. Just when I started to get over this video...

Today you do not even need CPU cooler failing. AMD improved their chips so they can now blow up spontaneously... any moment now 😵
If I had AMD CPU right now I would not joke about these things but rather worry that if leave my room for longer while eg. go to shop to buy milk then when I return there could be fire fighters trying to save neighbors because someone stuff blew up and got whole building on fire 🫣

Last edited:
LOL.

Growing up, it became evident early on that my friends were all mechanically inclined and that I absolutely was not.

I think it’s difficult for normal people to understand how much of a struggle it can be for people like myself to do very basic mechanical things. This morning, beginning my build, I was watching the YouTube video of the Scottish guy doing a demonstration build using the Corsair 5000D Airflow (which is the case I’m using). The video ran for roughly one hour. In about one minute, he shows us how to setup the case for building in it by removing panels and unscrewing inner brackets.

What he accomplished in one minute literally took me two hours.

At one point he says we need to undo the hand screws of an inside bracket by reaching in and… well, undoing the screws. He makes it look like cake, but my hand simply wouldn’t fit inside the case. I had a screwdriver but I couldn’t get the angle right. After 30 minutes of trying (by this time I was drenched in sweat) I switched to a vice grip and after about twenty attempts somehow managed to undo the hand screws.

I then decided to screw my case fans into the fan cages, because that looked like it would be dead easy - nope.

The Scottish guy, in his video, puts down three case fans, lines them up, and screws them in to the fan cage - he even fast-forwards the video because it’s so boring to watch. When I tried to do the exact same thing the screws wouldn’t go in straight. I tried re-aligning the fans, but it was still a major struggle. Another half hour went by. I was sweating profusely by this time and getting more and more frustrated. All I could do was get each of the screws roughly halfway in. The fans actually rattle when I shake the cage a little because the fans aren’t set properly. I tried to start over, but it was a struggle to get even one screw out, so I forced it back in and just left the cage as it was.

This how it’s been my entire life. People will watch me over my shoulder while I’m doing this stuff like this, and they themselves will become so frustrated that, typically, they’ll just reach over and take the tools out of my hands and do the job themselves (usually shaking their heads and mumbling a lot).

Anyway, it will be a miracle if I get this up and running.

f I had AMD CPU right now I would not joke about these things but rather worry that if leave my room for longer while eg. go to shop to buy milk then when I return there could be fire fighters trying to save neighbors because someone stuff blew up and got whole building on fire
Lmao.

This how it’s been my entire life. People will watch me over my shoulder while I’m doing this stuff like this, and they themselves will become so frustrated that, typically, they’ll just reach over and take the tools out of my hands and do the job themselves (usually shaking their heads and mumbling a lot).
Maybe your manual skills are so bad because you try to do all the things yourself, make each hand movement, etc.
You have to let your brain handle this stuff.

Doing things consciously is usually first step in learning anything. I noticed especially with things which we think we are not good at (especially when comparing to others) we might not ever loose this conscious effort thing and this will always keep given skill underdeveloped. Rather transitioning to things doing itself effortlessly we consider ourselves not ready to let go control.

To illustrate how it works take any skill you have which you know you are great at - do you really do it when you do it? It just happens without any conscious effort. Was it always like that?
I remember playing FPS games with all my attention in to movements which were terrible if I had to make them not-slow. Years later and its something I know play itself, computer games. Still at times I see how there subtle conscious effort to control how I play which removed improve performance drastically. Enjoyment is higher when I can play the game but can also focus on something entirely different and my brain plays the game.

Have to put less consciousness in to how you handle tools with hands. If performance of movement decrease do not get discouraged. Its something your brain needs to learn without whole consciousness behind it - performance will improve a lot.

Maybe not with thousand dollar and rather delicate equipment but some hobby requiring similar skillset which if you break it won't be end of the world and practice without conscious supervision until if feels natural. You would be surprised how quick it can improve your skills doing it that way.

LOL.

Growing up, it became evident early on that my friends were all mechanically inclined and that I absolutely was not.

I think it’s difficult for normal people to understand how much of a struggle it can be for people like myself to do very basic mechanical things. This morning, beginning my build, I was watching the YouTube video of the Scottish guy doing a demonstration build using the Corsair 5000D Airflow (which is the case I’m using). The video ran for roughly one hour. In about one minute, he shows us how to setup the case for building in it by removing panels and unscrewing inner brackets.

What he accomplished in one minute literally took me two hours.

At one point he says we need to undo the hand screws of an inside bracket by reaching in and… well, undoing the screws. He makes it look like cake, but my hand simply wouldn’t fit inside the case. I had a screwdriver but I couldn’t get the angle right. After 30 minutes of trying (by this time I was drenched in sweat) I switched to a vice grip and after about twenty attempts somehow managed to undo the hand screws.

I then decided to screw my case fans into the fan cages, because that looked like it would be dead easy - nope.

The Scottish guy, in his video, puts down three case fans, lines them up, and screws them in to the fan cage - he even fast-forwards the video because it’s so boring to watch. When I tried to do the exact same thing the screws wouldn’t go in straight. I tried re-aligning the fans, but it was still a major struggle. Another half hour went by. I was sweating profusely by this time and getting more and more frustrated. All I could do was get each of the screws roughly halfway in. The fans actually rattle when I shake the cage a little because the fans aren’t set properly. I tried to start over, but it was a struggle to get even one screw out, so I forced it back in and just left the cage as it was.

Anyway, it will be a miracle if I get this up and running.
I'd practice if I were recording an explanatory video, perhaps he did the same. The screws are probably a manufacturing tolerance issue. The screwdriver trouble in the case sounds like a tool problem in that it's not quite right for the job (too fat, long, whatever).

I think you should take the time to try and remove the fans and their screws. I've had to thread screws in and out a few times with particularly stubborn fans before.

Looks like Asus updated the bios again for many of its boards, and this time made it clear that your warranty is not void if you either download a beta version, or if you use expo.

Back