6950x 4 Channels DDR4 2400; one DIMM per Channel?

Jbort1984

[H]ard|Gawd
Ordered my 6950x looking at a new lga 2011v3 motherboard and noticed this on the cpu spec page. So my board has 8 rams slots im only able to utilize 4 of them now? whats the point of quad channel ram?

If you want to make use of the maximum bandwidth (68GB/s), you need to install at least 4 sticks of ram. A single channel's bandwidth is (68/4) 17GB/s, all the channels combine in parallel for a total of 68GB/s.

ok so i can stll install 64gbs 8x8gb sticks and it will see it all? The way i read it was that its only going to read and use 4 sticks total.

ok so i can stll install 64gbs 8x8gb sticks and it will see it all? The way i read it was that its only going to read and use 4 sticks total.

You need 4 sticks at a time to support quad channel. You're good having all 8 slots filled, two banks, quad channel. I'm building an 6950x system myself, plan on doing that this Friday, need a few more parts that are on the way.

You need 4 sticks at a time to support quad channel. You're good having all 8 slots filled, two banks, quad channel. I'm building an 6950x system myself, plan on doing that this Friday, need a few more parts that are on the way.

can i ask what mobo you chose to go with? Im looking at the msi godlike carbon or the Rampage V Edition 10. Also looking at the corsair dominator 8x 8gb platinum series with the cooling fans. Gonna be using my 3x gtx titans form the time being as i dont see a real performanmce jump to make it worth my while to get the new 1080's

can i ask what mobo you chose to go with? Im looking at the msi godlike carbon or the Rampage V Edition 10. Also looking at the corsair dominator 8x 8gb platinum series with the cooling fans. Gonna be using my 3x gtx titans form the time being as i dont see a real performanmce jump to make it worth my while to get the new 1080's

Unless you are heavily overclocking your ram, the dominators are massive overkill. Can get same performance from some gskills for half the price. And I personally always use only 1 stick per channel.

the ram was more of a looks thing lol i hate empty ram slot and like the look of the ram cooler

Back