6870m performance with Battlefield 3

Does anyone else own a laptop with a 6870m? At 1680x1050 on low settings I get about 25-27 FPS. This is terrible. Anyone else running into the same issue? If I upgrades to a 6970m would that solve most of my problems?

Thanks guys!

You should be getting better than that, what CPU are you running with? Also, are disabling background processes (like steam) when playing?

Sadly thats about right. The 6870m is based around the 5770 Desktop core which is 128bit memory interface. It also comes in 2 flavors, GDDR3 or GDDR5. If its GDDR3 its really going to bottle neck your card.

The 6970m is based on the desktop 6870 card. More Cores, 256Bit memory Bus and GDDR5.

Last edited:
You should be getting better than that. My 6770m is getting better frames mid 30's. You might want to alt-tab out and alt-tab back in to the game. Sometimes frames jumped 10+ fps for me by doing that.

Get a 6990m, i think you can upgrade the M17x R3 to it, it should be your best bet to play a game like BF3 (check if you going to need a higher power brick).

You should be getting better than that, what CPU are you running with? Also, are disabling background processes (like steam) when playing?

I've got the 2630QM on here -- and I'll give that a try and see what happens.

You should be getting better than that. My 6770m is getting better frames mid 30's. You might want to alt-tab out and alt-tab back in to the game. Sometimes frames jumped 10+ fps for me by doing that.

What laptop are you using? (what specs as well)

Can you let me know what settings you're using? I'll try alt-tabing as well.

Get a 6990m, i think you can upgrade the M17x R3 to it, it should be your best bet to play a game like BF3 (check if you going to need a higher power brick).

Do you know where I can find one at a decent price? eBay seems to be pretty barren.

Do you know where I can find one at a decent price? eBay seems to be pretty barren.
I would go with Dell, as in laptops, a lot of the GPUs are proprietary in some cases with custom bios, so to ensure it will work i would buy it direct from them, and asking them if you will need a bios update or how to ensure that you will be able to install it successfully.

What laptop are you using? (what specs as well)

Can you let me know what settings you're using? I'll try alt-tabing as well.

I'm using HP 6195 US

I7 2630 and a 6770m 8gb of ram

Sometimes it would crawl when I changed my vid settings from auto to whatever settings. Alt-tab or restarting the game fixed the issue for me.

Sadly thats about right. The 6870m is based around the 5770 Desktop core which is 128bit memory interface. It also comes in 2 flavors, GDDR3 or GDDR5. If its GDDR3 its really going to bottle neck your card.

The 6970m is based on the desktop 6870 card. More Cores, 256Bit memory Bus and GDDR5.

I hate this practice of making the mobile parts having the same name as the desktop parts with an -m tacked on (when in reality they are an inferior part).

I hate this practice of making the mobile parts having the same name as the desktop parts with an -m tacked on (when in reality they are an inferior part).
they have been doing this for years with mobile parts :p

I'm using HP 6195 US

I7 2630 and a 6770m 8gb of ram

Sometimes it would crawl when I changed my vid settings from auto to whatever settings. Alt-tab or restarting the game fixed the issue for me.

Amazingly -- everything is working fine now!

1920x1080

Medium Settings
H:60FPS M: 45 L:40

High Settings:
H:40FPS M:32 L:25

Thanks for everyone suggesting the alt-tab and closing Steam etc.

Back