6800/6900 Overclock Results

I haven't tried, I read some reviews on it and it seemed like turning it off was a wash, helping in some things and hurting in others so I didn't bother. My temps are relatively high though so I've been meaning to repaste the CPU and see if that helps.

I checked the power plan and I had it on high performance still, but now there's a Ryzen High Performance mode listed so I'll switch to that and retry.
As I posted above:

Ryzen power plan was removed for the 5000 series in the chipset drivers. Windows is able to handle the power plan for the 5000 series as intended. Quoted from AMD support forum

"Ryzen 5000 series CPUs do not require a special Ryzen Power Profile, so it is not installed with Chipset driver package. Please use the Windows Balanced Power Profile for these procesors. Previous generation Ryzen processors will continue to use the Ryzen Balanced Power Profile for optimal performance and this is included in the Chipset driver package.

Starting with AMD Chipset Driver 02.10.13.408, the processor power can be adjusted via Performance and Energy slider on systems running Windows 10 2004 and later."

That is pretty strange, are you running the latest chipset driver with the Windows power plan set to balanced? My 5800X on a Noctua NH-U12A with all default BIOS settings on a B550 Taichi scores ~12000 in CPU.

I haven't tried, I read some reviews on it and it seemed like turning it off was a wash, helping in some things and hurting in others so I didn't bother. My temps are relatively high though so I've been meaning to repaste the CPU and see if that helps.

I checked the power plan and I had it on high performance still, but now there's a Ryzen High Performance mode listed so I'll switch to that and retry.
what voltage is the 5800x at in bios?
im at 1.31v at 4.4 all core on the 3600 so your stock voltage may be well over the needed voltage to boost with PBO. that could be why temps are high.

Swapped out the Asrock Phantom 6900XT for a Red Devil 6800XT because I can get a waterblock for the Red Devil. After some quick tweaking with the stock cooler, the 6800XT hit 19,400. The block will arrive next week, hopefully will break 20K on water.

Attachments

• 19400.JPG
    19400.JPG
    306.8 KB · Views: 0
I'm a little slow. I re-read the instructions for MPT and noticed I'd missed the "select your card from the drop-down menu" step. I finally figured it out and tried setting the power limit on the 6800XT Red Devil to 325W. I fired up 3DMark with the power limit slider at 0% and saw the usage go right to 325W. I set the slider to +15% for a max of 373W and saw the card spike to exactly that in the Time Spy demo. During the graphics tests I saw a max of 351W and the TJ hit 91C very briefly. Clock speed min/max 2550/2650 with voltage at 1110 had the chip almost locked at 2600MHz - I saw fluctuations within +/- 10MHz in the graphics tests. Good for 19,630.

Now that I have that figured out, I can't resist putting the Phantom 6900XT with the triple power plugs back in. Why, oh why, will somebody not make a waterblock for the Phantom?
19630.JPG

Attachments

• 19630WM.JPG
    19630WM.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 0
Alright, well I got slightly higher on my GPU score at least by using VRAM tuning set to 2150MHz max. No luck raising my CPU above around 8,800 though. So far I've tried:

Disabling SMT
Balanced power plan and multiple other power plans
Manual overclock to 4.6GHz and 1.325V on CPU (was unstable at higher clocks and lower voltage). This lowered my temps so now I'm seeing a max temp of 64C in 3D Mark instead of the 74C previously.
PBO set to +200MHz overclock, -10 on CPU voltage modifier

These things only seem to cause the CPU score to fluctuate between 8,400 and 8,800 or so. Last thing I might try is another BIOS update since it looks like there's a newer BIOS out with better AGESA support.

3d mark high score 6900xt.png
3d mark high score 19800 6900xt.png

1612641824626.png
1612641852950.png

Cinebench r23 single core benchmark score is 1518 which seems relatively close to normal (looks like 1580-1600 is the norm).

Last edited:
Got MPT applied to the 6900XT and went for 375W. Set clocks to 2675/2550 where I've had good luck before, set the mem to 2150 and left the voltage at default 1175. Beat my prior best by 205 points.
375W_20470.JPG

Got MPT applied to the 6900XT and went for 375W. Set clocks to 2675/2550 where I've had good luck before, set the mem to 2150 and left the voltage at default 1175. Beat my prior best by 205 points.
Are you still on air with your 6900xt or did you put a waterblock on yet?

Are you still on air with your 6900xt or did you put a waterblock on yet?
There is no waterblock for the Asrock Phantom 6900XT available☹️. I'm working with the Asrock heatsink (which is pretty damn good) and an open case. I'm about to point a room fan at it and try for higher than 375. The card could theoretically pull 525W with the 3 power plugs, but I'm not that daring with air cooling.

Once you get your BIOS updated, you might try the new Clock Tuner Ryzen that was released a few days ago.

Edit:

With MPT at 395W and the slider at +15% for 454W I was able to get through a run with the clocks at 2750/2550. Closing in on 21K.
395W+15_20908.JPG

Attachments

• 20908Graph.JPG
    20908Graph.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
There is no waterblock for the Asrock Phantom 6900XT available☹️. I'm working with the Asrock heatsink (which is pretty damn good) and an open case. I'm about to point a room fan at it and try for higher than 375. The card could theoretically pull 525W with the 3 power plugs, but I'm not that daring with air cooling.

Once you get your BIOS updated, you might try the new Clock Tuner Ryzen that was released a few days ago.
Ok, just tried CTR after a BIOS update and got these results 😞
1612651273886.png

Setting my profile to 1300mV and a 4350MHz overclock with boosting to 4800-4900MHz still gets me only 8787 CPU points in time spy. :mad:

Temps on GPU and CPU look normal. Doesn't look like I'm going to push this 6900xt much farther unless I start using MPT or upping the voltage.

Last edited:
Ok, just tried CTR after a BIOS update and got these results 😞
View attachment 326808

Setting my profile to 1300mV and a 4350MHz overclock with boosting to 4800-4900MHz still gets me only 8787 CPU points in time spy. :mad:

Temps on GPU and CPU look normal. Doesn't look like I'm going to push this 6900xt much farther unless I start using MPT or upping the voltage.
I reviewed the thread and I didn't see what you have for cooling on the 5800X. Mine is on a loop with 2x360mm radiators all to itself for now. CTR called it a "silver sample", so I guess I got fairly lucky.

I reviewed the thread and I didn't see what you have for cooling on the 5800X. Mine is on a loop with 2x360mm radiators all to itself for now. CTR called it a "silver sample", so I guess I got fairly lucky.
I've had it so long I forgot the name, but I believe it's this: https://www.thermaltake.com/contac-silent-12.html

Temps seem fine now that it's colder and I've undervolted it. I saw some spikes up to 83-84C but mostly it was staying around 60 to 70C during testing.

Ok, I give up. I'm trying to figure out this CPUZ and MPT and I keep getting unknown file thing when trying to apply the saved file. Someone please help my old dumb ass out before I have a damn aneurysm! My goal is a 20k TimeSpy score and my current cpu score is right where it needs to be, so if can get this MPT working and tweak the card just a little bit higher, I think I can reach my goal :)
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Ok, I give up. I'm trying to figure out this CPUZ and MPT and I keep getting unknown file thing when trying to apply the saved file. Someone please help my old dumb ass out before I have a damn aneurysm! My goal is a 20k TimeSpy score and my current cpu score is right where it needs to be, so if can get this MPT working and tweak the card just a little bit higher, I think I can reach my goal :)
View attachment 326887
I see all the checkboxes are blank, so it doesn't look like MPT has any settings loaded.

I saved my VGA BIOS with GPUZ, which is an unlabeled button on the main screen that looks like a square with an arrow jumping out of it. This should create a .ROM file. Then in MPT, open the BIOS file and the checkboxes and values should be populated.

Select your card at the top of the MPT window (which you have already figured out - I missed that step). Go to the "Power and Voltage" tab. Make your changes and hit "Save" to create your .MPT file. Click "Write SPPT" and you should get a confirmation box. Then restart.

I see all the checkboxes are blank, so it doesn't look like MPT has any settings loaded.

I saved my VGA BIOS with GPUZ, which is an unlabeled button on the main screen that looks like a square with an arrow jumping out of it. This should create a .ROM file. Then in MPT, open the BIOS file and the checkboxes and values should be populated.

Select your card at the top of the MPT window (which you have already figured out - I missed that step). Go to the "Power and Voltage" tab. Make your changes and hit "Save" to create your .MPT file. Click "Write SPPT" and you should get a confirmation box. Then restart.
Thanks man, I will try again as soon as I get off work.

I got my 20k score. Now I can rest....lol. Thanks for the help jfreund :)

Attachments

• TimeSpy 5950x.PNG
    TimeSpy 5950x.PNG
    808.4 KB · Views: 0
I've had it so long I forgot the name, but I believe it's this: https://www.thermaltake.com/contac-silent-12.html

Temps seem fine now that it's colder and I've undervolted it. I saw some spikes up to 83-84C but mostly it was staying around 60 to 70C during testing.
Have you monitored background apps? Is something using up some of your CPU in the background? From the info you've provided, it doesn't seem you should be getting the scores you're getting for CPU unless something is running in the background that's eating up some of the CPU; other than that, maybe a reinstall of Windows, or at the very least, installing a fresh copy on an extra drive solely to test and see if it's an OS issue.

I'm late to the game, but here's my best 6900xt non-MPT score. Seems to be in the window of most other results posted. Core clock at 2650 mhz, voltage at 1080 mV (can't reduce further), memory clock at 2150, +15% power (taps out at 304W). Junction temps in the mid/high 80s.

Best_score.png

I cranked up MPT, and can't enable 'Fast Timing' for memory. Best MPT score below.

Card is stable up to core clock at 2660 mhz, voltage at or above 1120 mV, memory clock up to 2144, power at 365W. Was nervously eyeing junction temps at 100* on air, so can't increase power further. So, enabling MPT, I'm unable to increase over non-MPT clocks without stability issues. So, the extra 60W and 40mV is getting me a 2.5% gain for +10-15* in temps.

Given this result, I'll prob just fo back to my non-MPT settings. Still happy with the score overall.

Best_score_2.png

MPT settings:
1613108893377.png

Last edited:
Man! The 6900XT OC well. Just started to play around with this and for a 3960x system, single 6900 XT, I ended up on top overall score. Will play around with it more.

6900xTS.jpg

Hi all, new member here. I thought I'd add my Timespy results to the growing database here.

This score with my Powercolor Reference 6800XT was achieved with a 2705Mhz clock and 2120Mhz Fast Timing Memory setting. It's been "under volted" on Wattman to 1085mv. It's also been put under water with an EK-Quantum Vector which keeps it at a cool 47-48 degrees under load with a Hotspot Temp of 65-67.

I've used MPT to bump up the wattage to 340w and give it a little more juice.

I realise I've seriously lucked out with this chip as well. I was a little apprehensive paying £100 over MSRP for this last month, but after benching it, I realise it's cash well-spent. :)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    901.3 KB · Views: 0
Hi all, new member here. I thought I'd add my Timespy results to the growing database here.

This score with my Powercolor Reference 6800XT was achieved with a 2705Mhz clock and 2120Mhz Fast Timing Memory setting. It's been "under volted" on Wattman to 1085mv. It's also been put under water with an EK-Quantum Vector which keeps it at a cool 47-48 degrees under load with a Hotspot Temp of 65-67.

I realise I've seriously lucked out with this chip as well. I was a little apprehensive paying £100 over MSRP for this last month, but after benching it, I realise it's cash well-spent. :)
Nice! I received the waterblock for my 6800XT Red Devil, but I haven't installed it yet. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a block for the Phantom 6900XT.

Edit: Red Devil is a 6800XT.

Last edited:
Between 2500 min-2600 max on the core using the Radeon software.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

You sir have one golden card.

Hey,
You all get good results with your cards.
My 6900xt randomly crashes in time spy gpu test 2.
Sometimes it works, next run with same settings it crashes.
Crash means: 90 percent the test stops and 20% driver crash. No black screen or reboot.
Running on a 8700k 4.8 and
Bought a new 1000w be quiet straight power.
Do you have any ideas whats the problem?
Thx

Hey,
You all get good results with your cards.
My 6900xt randomly crashes in time spy gpu test 2.
Sometimes it works, next run with same settings it crashes.
Crash means: 90 percent the test stops and 20% driver crash. No black screen or reboot.
Running on a 8700k 4.8 and
Bought a new 1000w be quiet straight power.
Do you have any ideas whats the problem?
Thx
If I was pushing the card too far it would crash the drivers (radeon adrenaline software) and interrupt the testing. Backing the card off (either upping voltage, decreasing max clocks) helped. Later on I stress tested the card and had to drop the card about 100MHz below what was stable in Time Spy and raise the voltage about 20mV.

Reactions: S999x
like this
If I was pushing the card too far it would crash the drivers (radeon adrenaline software) and interrupt the testing. Backing the card off (either upping voltage, decreasing max clocks) helped. Later on I stress tested the card and had to drop the card about 100MHz below what was stable in Time Spy and raise the voltage about 20mV.
What are your settings?

Have a Stock Gigabyte RX 6800 paired with my 5900x on a MSI X570 Unify mb. Both are custom wc (Optimus block for the cpu and EK block for the gpu). Not much headroom for the 5900x so I keep it stock. Just installed the EK block on the RX 6800. In Timespy and Firestrike noticed up to a 8% OC. Runs very cool.

I'll keep it stock but I bet the boost stays longer with the cool temps.

What are your settings?

Voltage: 1100mV
Max frequency: 2600MHz ish
Min frequency: 2400MHz ish
Power limit: +15%
VRAM Tuning: 2150MHz
Fan profile: I ramped it up pretty aggressively starting around 60C.

This was perfectly fine for gaming, but for mining I set the max frequency to 2500MHz, dropped min frequency back to defaults, and upped the voltage to about 1117mV or so. That's been mostly stable. I've only had one driver crash since then and I think it was unrelated.

Voltage: 1100mV
Max frequency: 2600MHz ish
Min frequency: 2400MHz ish
Power limit: +15%
VRAM Tuning: 2150MHz
Fan profile: I ramped it up pretty aggressively starting around 60C.

This was perfectly fine for gaming, but for mining I set the max frequency to 2500MHz, dropped min frequency back to defaults, and upped the voltage to about 1117mV or so. That's been mostly stable. I've only had one driver crash since then and I think it was unrelated.
Can you pass the timespy gt2?
I will try this but I don't think it will work.
1100 is impossible I think. Everything under 1.160 seems to be impossible.
1.750 with 2600 won't pass this bench too.
I think my card has a problem or my pc.
2 days left for rma..

Is it necessary to put min voltage high for passing timespy?

Can you pass the timespy gt2?
I will try this but I don't think it will work.
1100 is impossible I think. Everything under 1.160 seems to be impossible.
1.750 with 2600 won't pass this bench too.
I think my card has a problem or my pc.
2 days left for rma..

Is it necessary to put min voltage high for passing timespy?
Mine passes timespy with undervolting, but your card may not undervolt as well.

Reference 6800:
2500mhz@975mv
2150mhz vram/fast timing
PL %115

3DMark Time Spy Graphics score: 16,585

Is there a benefit to setting a high min frequency? Why not stay with 500mhz?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reference 6800:
2500mhz@975mv
2150mhz vram/fast timing
PL %115

3DMark Time Spy Graphics score: 16,585

Is there a benefit to setting a high min frequency? Why not stay with 500mhz?
I got my highest score with the minimum set 150MHz below the max on a 6900 XT. I also tried the default 500MHz and -100MHz from max. In games, I just leave the min at 500MHz.

This is completely unofficial, of course, based on Reddit and email inquiry, but EK is supposedly working on a block for the Asrock Taichi 6800XT, which is said to use the same PCB as the Phantom 6900XT.

Also, Bykski may be making a block for the Phantom 6900XT.

It appears some of the blocks for the reference PCB can be modded to fit the Phantom 6900XT.

https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooli...uid_cooling_the_asrock_phantom_rx_6900_xt_oc/

Edit: Bykski has made their block. I ordered from FormulaMod - I didn't see it listed anywhere else. Shippped from China, should be here by the end of next week.

https://www.formulamod.com/bykski-a...phics-card-liquid-cooler-system-p3569065.html

Last edited:
So as I have posted in it's own thread, I got the new badass XFX Speedster Zero WB Radeon RX 6900 XT that ships with an EK Waterblock preinstalled.

So, I haven't started overclocking yet, but I already but I figured I'd post my baseline runs here.

I flashed my BIOS to allow for Resizeable BAR / SAM support, and decided to run a Timespy with everything at stock settings, and well, it was BAD.

timespy_baseline.png

Then I remembered what some people said above about how Timespy REALLY doesn't like SMT on the Zen2 Threadrippers, so I tried disabling SMT and trying again.

timespy_no_SMT.png

Now, keep in mind. These are out of box numbers. No overclocking, no tweaking, no lowering voltage, no increasing power limit.

I feel like an over 22k graphics score out of the box without overclocking is almost too good to be true?

So, a few questions.

1.) Is this too good to be true? Could something be off? it is suspicious that my out of box results are above some of your max ovcerclock scores, especially since the core clock seems to be running at about the same ~2500mhz. I appreciate any thoughts.

2.) This thing runs hot. Like not "air cooler" hot, but much hotter than my old Pascal Titan X under water. For these runs I set the fan profiles to keep the coolant at ~33C. On my Pascal Titan X this resulted in in game temps of about 38C core temp. This beast is hovering at about 50C to 51C. Part of this is not unexpected. The Pascal Titan was a 250W TDP card. The 6900XT stock is 300W, but who knows how high they set it stock at XFX? The specs do not say does not say. I'll have to upgrade the monitoring software and measure during a run to see what it registers.

I'm wondering if they did a shitty mounting/pasting job at the XFX factory, and if I should take off the block, and give it some Kryonaut goodness. (Really not looking forward to that...) Appreciate thoughts.

3.) What do you guys recommend I do next? I had a pretty good idea which steps to take with a reference card (set 2600mhz, find minimum stable voltage max out power limit), but now that I've already hit 22k graphics score, maybe I should shoot for more? I'd appreciate any suggestions. I don't have enough experience with AMD GPU overclocking to really know where to start.

4.) Is this Threadripper SMT problem mostly a 3DMark thing, or is it better to leave it off in games as well?

Back