6700K in stock (US)

How did you guys come to the conclusion to get the 6700k over the 5820k? I keep going back and forth.

Newer platform for me, DDR4 novelty, also the potential for 4.7+ overclocks. M.2? That might be cool. I tend to keep my motherboards a very long time, so it made sense to go to the new kid on the block.

How did you guys come to the conclusion to get the 6700k over the 5820k? I keep going back and forth.

less heat
less issues with RAM running at rated speeds
didn't need SLI
Z170 reviews seemed really good
I do not use apps that benefit from 6 cores often enough to care about the small increase in speed it would give.

In the end I don't think it matters, if you had two mostly identical systems where one is the x99 and the other is Z170 system I doubt you could pinpoint much of a difference. They would both work really well.

Most games depend on your GPU and most apps are only a small bit faster.

I wanted to get the newest thing and had no valid reason to get anything else instead.

Stable 4.7 @ 1.38, 4.8 needs more than 1.4v. Adaptive vcore unstable at bench, needs manual vcore

i order from TD on the 21st. i finally got it Monday. also never got a tracking number and showed in processing yesterday. today i get a new tracking number so it looks like i might get 2. :confused: also the first package came from syx distribution

If you guys don't mind post how well you like your setup as I would be doing nearly the same upgrade but from a 2500k.

Okay, some benchmark comparisons.

TLDR
Firestrike Normal - 6700k 29% faster
Firestrike Ultra - 6700k 3% faster
Cinebench R15 - 6700k 21% faster

2600k @ 4.7, 980Ti SLI @ 1475 core, stock memory speed

vs

6700k @ 4.7, 980Ti SLI @ 1475 core, stock memory speed

6700k, Firestrike Normal http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5889545

2600k, Firestrike Normal http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5315588

6700k, Firestrike Ultra, http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5889059

2600k, Firestrike Ultra, http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5365581

6700k, Cinebench R15 - 1028

2600k, Cinebench R15 - 822

And now try it with an AVX benchmark like the Prime95 Torture Test (FFTs with AVX). :D

Last edited:
Going on a vacation road trip tomorrow, was hoping any of the microcenters along the way had one, no dice.

Did email amazon about the delay, the upgraded me to next day, (big whup), but still had no time frame.

Oh well I guess. Ill be gone for 10 days and won't be able to finish my build anyhow if it ships. Our house sitter will just have to pick it up for me if it does.

Did email amazon about the delay, the upgraded me to next day, (big whup), but still had no time frame.

Oh well I guess. Ill be gone for 10 days and won't be able to finish my build anyhow if it ships. Our house sitter will just have to pick it up for me if it does.

Probably not what you want to hear.....

Amazon updated my order this morning around 1:15am CST

Your new estimated delivery date is: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 - Wednesday, September 9, 2015

:D:D:D:D:D

Just treated myself to one-day shipping:

Arriving Monday by 8pm

:D:D:D:D:D

All in all, glad I waited for Amazon. Got the board I wanted and the cpu. Total $353.99. DIdn't have to wait too much longer.

Last edited:
Going on a vacation road trip tomorrow, was hoping any of the microcenters along the way had one, no dice.

Keep checking. New inventory doesn't show up on their website until the next day. It will also depend on when they get their trucks in.
You will probably need some luck, last Friday the St. Louis store got thier first small number of 6700k that were all sold before 3:00 so they never showed up in stock on the website.

Okay, some benchmark comparisons.

TLDR
Firestrike Normal - 6700k 29% faster
Firestrike Ultra - 6700k 3% faster
Cinebench R15 - 6700k 21% faster

2600k @ 4.7, 980Ti SLI @ 1475 core, stock memory speed

vs

6700k @ 4.7, 980Ti SLI @ 1475 core, stock memory speed

6700k, Firestrike Normal http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5889545

2600k, Firestrike Normal http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5315588

6700k, Firestrike Ultra, http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5889059

2600k, Firestrike Ultra, http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5365581

6700k, Cinebench R15 - 1028

2600k, Cinebench R15 - 822

Nice analysis

Thank you!

Dang. I'm really hoping MC pulls through and gets some combo deals in fast. The price difference from about a year ago of the Z97 & Devils Canyon vs Z170 & Skylake is pretty big. I can't remember the last time Intel's most current 2 gens (Skylake & Broadwell) were so scarce.

What is the rough overall performance different between 4790K system and 6700K system? 10-20% or more?
i.e. 4790K, Z97 mobo, 16GB DDR3 2400 vs 6700K, Z170 mobo, 16GB DDR4 2400
cos it sucks if you bought 4790K system in past 2-3 weeks considering the price on 4790K setup and 6700K setup is very similar. :mad:

well hurry up and put it together, I am interested to see if your install is smoother than mine since I had exact same stuff.

I had to up the VCCIO and agent voltage to get RAM solid at 3000

Got her together this morning and it was kind of a shaky start.... the BIOS that came on the board seemed flaky as heck and all sorts of options worked either unpredictably or not at all.

Updated to 0801 (released yesterday) and everything is working much better, but like you I cannot get this G'Skill DDR4 3000 rated RAM to run at 3000 - not using the XMP1 profile anyway. I even tried setting the speed and memory voltage manually and it wasn't having it. It would freeze and after power cycling manually it would come back with a general overclocking failure. I set it to 2800mhz and it seems to be OK there, at least I got Windows installed and ran some Prime95 to test temperatures.

Still running the CPU stock for now, this weekend I'll start OCing... it will be interesting to see how far my trusty old Thermalright TRUE 120 gets me.

Mind sharing the VCCIO and System Agent voltage you used to get 3000mhz on the RAM?

Just got the heads up from Amazon, set for delivery Mon or Tues, overnighted. Guess when I get home next Sunday I have some fun in front of me.

Got her together this morning and it was kind of a shaky start.... the BIOS that came on the board seemed flaky as heck and all sorts of options worked either unpredictably or not at all.

Updated to 0801 (released yesterday) and everything is working much better, but like you I cannot get this G'Skill DDR4 3000 rated RAM to run at 3000 - not using the XMP1 profile anyway. I even tried setting the speed and memory voltage manually and it wasn't having it. It would freeze and after power cycling manually it would come back with a general overclocking failure. I set it to 2800mhz and it seems to be OK there, at least I got Windows installed and ran some Prime95 to test temperatures.

Still running the CPU stock for now, this weekend I'll start OCing... it will be interesting to see how far my trusty old Thermalright TRUE 120 gets me.

Mind sharing the VCCIO and System Agent voltage you used to get 3000mhz on the RAM?

I saw that new bios but mine is stable so far and that said beta so I will wait

I set Dram to 3000
1.35v
VCCIO 1.2V
system agent 1.23V

that might be a bit higher than is needed, but it was slightly lower than what I read was needed for 3200

I also noticed I have some left over settings from the ASUS automatic overclock. I probably need to just clear the CMOS and start over once I get a new stable BIOS to use
My LLC was set to 6 and I know I didnt do that

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue with the 8GB Ripjaw V DDR4 3000 RAM.

Let me preface this with: I am attempting to run 4 sticks, 32GB TOTAL.

I have been scouring forums all over the internet, not just for the ASUS boards but for all Z170 boards and this particular problem is universal. If you have 32GB working at 3000 or better, you have a lucky good memory controller in your CPU, nothing more.

If you have gotten one of the current BIOS release from the last couple of days, for any brand board, you PROBABLY will be able to get 16GB in TWO sticks working at 3000 either with XMP or by manually increasing VCCIO and System Agent voltages.

Even with the BIOS releases currently on the market, 32GB with 4 sticks at 3000 is still a NO-GO. Raja at ASUS or the other board vendors will tell you to try the voltage tweaks but they won't work.

With manual settings I can get them working 100% fine at 2666, maybe 2700, but that's it for now.

Earlier today, I went ahead and contacted G-Skill about it. Here is the response. It's pretty cut and dry that the problems are BIOS related:

-----------------

Sent: ‎9/‎3/‎2015 5:40 PM
To: ***
Subject: Re: 4 sticks 8GB Ripjaw V in ASUS RANGER

Hi ***

Contact Asus for a UEFI update, there are still some kinks that need to be worked out. I don't think it's worth it for you to spend a lot of time tweaking it now, only to have to retweak it later with a revised UEFI. Run it at some stable settings for now, once the improved UEFI is released you should notice an enhanced memory capability. Of course if you have any other issues at that time, we can still help and take care of it. There is no time frame with G.Skill, we'll always help you to the best of our ability.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

----------------

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Thursday, September 3, 2015, *** wrote:

Motherboard: Maximus VIII Ranger
CPU: i7-6700k
Bios: 801 beta
RAM: 4x of F4-3000C15D-16GVR

Ok, so I have several kits of this RAM due to various combo deals. I know it’s not the Quad kit... but at the time had no idea it might be an issue.

Are there any known settings I can try for manual timing or voltage that will get 4 of these working on this motherboard at the rated 3000mhz? I’ve played around on my own quite a bit with VCCIO and System Agent voltage per ASUS request but I’m just not getting anywhere. I’ve tried XMP mode, and I’ve tried manually entering the basic timings. As of now I havn’t been able to get the system to POST beyond 2700.

Ideas? Settings?

Thanks,

Just got the heads up from Amazon, set for delivery Mon or Tues, overnighted. Guess when I get home next Sunday I have some fun in front of me.

Just got my delivery date from Amazon. Chip will be here Tuesday. Guess I've got to decide on a motherboard now & get it ordered today😄.

It figures, Amazon starts doling out ETAs just under a week after I cancel my order there and place my Newegg combo order (with the intention of returning a mobo). :rolleyes: :p

Oh well, at least I have the 6700K on hand already, got to gawk at a Hero for a few minutes, and got to spend a Newegg store credit I might've wasted otherwise.

I noticed the difference in PCB thickness that Dan alludes to between my Z170-A and the Hero, didn't seem that bad tho... We'll see how it looks after I strap a cooler on it.

It has been discussed at length elsewhere but for me some of the practical differences factored in as much as the obvious ones...

6600/6700K will have an OC and IPC advantage, however mild, 5820K gets you two more cores... That's the obvious. The Skylake IMC seems friendlier towards higher memory OC & the Z170 boards I was looking at seemed more mature than a lot of X99 boards, but neither was a major factor in my decision.

The price difference can be negligible if you have a Microcenter nearby, or it can be over $130 between mobo & CPU. In the same vein, even tho the 5820K/X99 doesn't have any more lanes than a 6700/Z170, there's always the possibility of upgrading to a 40 lane CPU on X99 (5830 or future SKU).

The lane layout of the 5820K does favor tri-SLI/CF since there's more lanes coming from the CPU tho, even tho there's less 3.0 lanes overall. But again, none of of those things mattered a ton to me personally, price might've factored in a little at best. The layout and feature set of Z170 boards did seem more attractive to me tho.

On the feature front you've got slightly more modern accoutrements like USB Type C and/or 3.1 on cheaper boards, as well as Intel RAID/RST integration for M.2/PCI-E storage. Layout wise, having that extra slot above the first x16 (under CPU) allows me to use my Xonar STX and run Crossfire/SLI without sandwiching the former

I also still have the bottom-most slot (an x4) free for an SSD. On many X99 boards something would end up getting sandwiched between GPUs, or might not fit at all. A hexa core will run hotter and for my main usage won't make a lick of difference, that includes gaming, stressful photography work, and programming.

For video editing which I mess around with occasionally the extra two cores would make a big difference, but I weighed the other factors already mentioned more heavily. It's possible the 5820K is slightly more future proof, but we've been banging that drum for years and most things aren't really getting any more multi threaded.

I was also upgrading from a 2500K so I was content enough just to gain HT, not sure if coming from a 2600K would've changed my logic...

$386 6700K + IR thermometer combo on page 2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tField=0&PageSize=10&fromcs=0&bcmTag=0&Page=2

Newegg has added a lot more combos btw, there's even some silly ones like that $386 one w/thermometer... The page of combos you get when adding the 6700K to cart doesn't even have a third of them btw.

Might be their way of throwing enthusiasts a bone while still steering most people towards the big 3-way combos in order to move some boards. Some CPU + RAM only combos as well. They should've done this from the start...

Might've saved themselves some grief, shoot, that IR thermometer combo is almost like a mild $36 price gouge that I'm betting a lot of people would've easily swallowed.

Last edited:
$386 6700K + IR thermometer combo on page 2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tField=0&PageSize=10&fromcs=0&bcmTag=0&Page=2

Newegg has added a lot more combos btw, there's even some silly ones like that $386 one w/thermometer... The page of combos you get when adding the 6700K to cart doesn't even have a third of them btw.

Might be their way of throwing enthusiasts a bone while still steering most people towards the big 3-way combos in order to move some boards. Some CPU + RAM only combos as well. They should've done this from the start...

Might've saved themselves some grief, shoot, that IR thermometer combo is almost like a mild $36 price gouge that I'm betting a lot of people would've easily swallowed.

Wait, so couldn't you sign up for the 12-month Newegg Premier membership, order this bundle, return the thermometer (with no re-stocking fee because of the premier membership) and then just cancel the membership before the 30-day trial is up for a refund on that too?

Wait, so couldn't you sign up for the 12-month Newegg Premier membership, order this bundle, return the thermometer (with no re-stocking fee because of the premier membership) and then just cancel the membership before the 30-day trial is up for a refund on that too?

Sure you could. Newegg is just banking that you don't. Most people won't do this. Even if someone plans to, there is still at least a 50/50 chance that they will just get lazy and keep the bundle item.

We all need to remember how these retailers are handling the 6700k launch and factor that into our future purchases. This has really turned me off of Newegg. Amazon has the price gouging going on, but at least those are just 3rd party sellers. I haven't seen Amazon offering it themselves for anything significantly over MSRP. I'm just wishing I had pre-ordered/back-ordered one when they had the option.

Sure, that's what I did, only with a motherboard because there was no thermometer combo last week AFAIK. Those IR thermometers are useful if you don't have one but anyway... I had no trouble getting an RMA issued for the mobo, pretty sure others used a Premier trial in the same way as well.

You aren't even charged for membership until after the 30 days, and I think you can cancel the renewal immediately after signing up and still retain benefits for 30 days. I cancelled mine the day before yesterday and it stated I could still enjoy Prime benefits thru today when the trial was set to end and auto charge me for a year.

This didn't really turn me off Newegg per se, I think the blame lies mostly with Intel here... Other things have made me favor Amazon tho, like no restocking fees ever, or Prime... Newegg made a mess of things with Premier IMO, Shoprunner was/is great but not all items have it now.

Premier is borderline worthless here since they only ship two day to Puerto Rico and Premier only offers free three day shipping. It still gives me like a 50% discount on two day but wtfever. Not paying $50 for that...

Last edited:
Anyone know when the 6700 (non-k) comes out? Planning to put one in a HTPC case so I don't want to overclock it due to heat concerns.

Anyone know when the 6700 (non-k) comes out? Planning to put one in a HTPC case so I don't want to overclock it due to heat concerns.

no, but you could always just under clock the 6700k if you wanted, though I would agree the smarter thing is to buy a cheaper non-overclocker board

I saw that new bios but mine is stable so far and that said beta so I will wait

I set Dram to 3000
1.35v
VCCIO 1.2V
system agent 1.23V

that might be a bit higher than is needed, but it was slightly lower than what I read was needed for 3200

I also noticed I have some left over settings from the ASUS automatic overclock. I probably need to just clear the CMOS and start over once I get a new stable BIOS to use
My LLC was set to 6 and I know I didnt do that

Thanks for the values... unfortunately they didn't work out for me. I was able to get the board to boot with 1.2v VCCIO and 1.23V System Agent voltage, but any sort of stress (benchmarks, etc) would result in a spontaneous reboot.

As Advil says above G'Skill are maintaining that this is a BIOS problem and should be solved eventually, but there are some people with the same combo who have no problems running it at the rated XMP profile speed and timings with zero issues....

For now it's running 2800mhz and I guess that's OK, just nagging... lol.

Thanks for the values... unfortunately they didn't work out for me. I was able to get the board to boot with 1.2v VCCIO and 1.23V System Agent voltage, but any sort of stress (benchmarks, etc) would result in a spontaneous reboot.

As Advil says above G'Skill are maintaining that this is a BIOS problem and should be solved eventually, but there are some people with the same combo who have no problems running it at the rated XMP profile speed and timings with zero issues....

For now it's running 2800mhz and I guess that's OK, just nagging... lol.

what benchmark gave you trouble? I ran realbench and prime95 without issue and I have not had any game crashes

3000 isnt going to make your PC noticeably faster than 2800, it would still bug me though. If not for the combo deal I might have just bought some 2666 and called it a day. I guess these are just bleeding edge issues and they should sort themselves out in time with some new Bios updates.

I bought some 2666 and called it a day; well, I bought a whole bunch of 2666, in blue cause that's how I roll, and called it a day. :cool:

I'll probably try bumping it up to 2800 just for the sake of it, specially since it's a C16 kit rather than C15... But reading about your experiences I'll probably give up on it quickly if it's not working out, particularly as I'll be running 4 DIMMs, at least initially.

Well, because the best performance gains with Skylake vs. Devil's Canyon happens when you overclock AND push the memory speeds up. From what I've seen you need to be at or above 2666, prefereably 3000+ to see a decent size performance win against a 4790k.

If you are ok with a tie, then 2100 to 2666 and stock clocks will do it.

I'm having the same issue with the 8GB Ripjaw V DDR4 3000 RAM.

Let me preface this with: I am attempting to run 4 sticks, 32GB TOTAL.

I have been scouring forums all over the internet, not just for the ASUS boards but for all Z170 boards and this particular problem is universal. If you have 32GB working at 3000 or better, you have a lucky good memory controller in your CPU, nothing more.

If you have gotten one of the current BIOS release from the last couple of days, for any brand board, you PROBABLY will be able to get 16GB in TWO sticks working at 3000 either with XMP or by manually increasing VCCIO and System Agent voltages.

Even with the BIOS releases currently on the market, 32GB with 4 sticks at 3000 is still a NO-GO. Raja at ASUS or the other board vendors will tell you to try the voltage tweaks but they won't work.

With manual settings I can get them working 100% fine at 2666, maybe 2700, but that's it for now.

I must have got lucky then. all i did to get mine rock steady was increase VCCIO to 1.25 and enable XMP. and i got the Ripjaws V 3200 now if i try to speed it up or change the timings at all. it wont even boot. I've got the evga 170 FTW. which is getting ripped out of my case. when my new ASUS deluxe gets here. plus in tigerdirect infinite wisdom they sent me two 6700k when i ordered one

So I finally have everything...

P2B5f2G.jpg

.... and I don't have the mounting hardware to switch x79 to z170. :mad:

Looks like i'm waiting until Tuesday to put this system together.

Last edited:
If you are ok with a tie, then 2100 to 2666 and stock clocks will do it.

Not sure if that was aimed at me, but I'll definitely be OC'ing the CPU as far as it'll go, stress testing it, all that good stuff... And I'm moving up from a 2500K, if I was on aHaswell part I wouldn't have bothered.

I just meant I might not push the RAM OC very far because it seems Z170 BIOS have some maturing to do and real world gains from highly clocked RAM aren't very significant.

So I finally have everything...

http://i.imgur.com/P2B5f2G.jpg

.... and I don't have the mounting hardware to switch x79 to z170. :mad:

Looks like i'm waiting until Tuesday to put this system together.

NICE!!!

I was thankful that the LGA 1155 mounting kit for my trusty old Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (TRUE) switched over just fine to LGA 1151. I've had this cooler for like ten years now and it continues to kick tons of ass. :D

Back