650W just not big enough?

Westwood

[H]F Junkie
three monitors, 1080, 1080, 1440

Monitors some times just shit right off. I get a No Signal thing blipping on the screen. I have to hard reboot the PC to get everything back. Just happened mid game. Another thing too, after waking in sleep mode, the monitors kick on, then ten seconds later kick off, then back on again. Not sure why the ten second dealio. Not sure what going on.

PSU is a 650 and its....wow, its old. ten years maybe? Could that be a culprit?

There's no software program that can tell you what the wattage is on your pc, right?

You can use software like NVIDIA's Frameview and GPU-Z to determine how much power your card is drawing. However, if that 650w is ten years old it's doubtful it's capable of outputting that anymore due to capacitor aging. Dependong on the system's configuration, 650w may not be enough even if that were new.

Yeah def get a new PSU. RTX 3000 cards are known to hit 1.3x TDP in 20-40ms spikes and even higher for shorter durations. That can be real hard on PSUs whose output capacitance has dropped off because even if it's not enough to cause an OCP reset on the PSU, the current spike can drag voltage the 12V rail down to the point that something else will crash/reset. Theoretically, replacing all the caps and through-hole diodes & resistors with high-quality new equivalents and thoroughly cleaning/repasting the unit would bring it back to good operation but that's a lot of work and liability.

TL;DR problem is PSU age/ quality, not precisely a lack of wattage. Just replace it with a new, high-quality (check reviews and PSU tier lists) 650W unit, or a 750W if you want more headroom to upgrade CPU later.

mmk. I'll scope something out probably in the 850 flavor. stay ahead of the game a bit.

Hopefully there isn't a shortage of those...

You can't look at Corsair's PSU line and make assumptions from one model to the next. One model may be fantastic, while others may be trash. Corsair doesn't make anything. Corsair's units are made by different companies. So the RM850 may be from a different OEM than their AX1200. One being good doesn't mean the other is.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
II would look into a Superflower 850w. II picked up a 1300w unit back black Friday and cables were better made than the 2 Corsair units I just bought the week before.

You can't look at Corsair's PSU line and make assumptions from one model to the next. One model may be fantastic, while others may be trash. Corsair doesn't make anything. Corsair's units are made by different companies. So the RM850 may be from a different OEM than their AX1200. One being good doesn't mean the other is.
Ah. Well I grabbed that one in the link. We'll see what happens.

Got it all wired up last night.

No smoke or fires. So that's a plus.

Also, discovered the flickering thing when coming out of sleep mode is GSYNC turning on. Don't think there's a way to work around that.

TL;DR problem is PSU age/ quality, not precisely a lack of wattage. Just replace it with a new, high-quality (check reviews and PSU tier lists) 650W unit, or a 750W if you want more headroom to upgrade CPU later.
Can 650W unit supply 12900 and RTX3060 or is required more?

I'm running an SFX in a regular case cooler master 850w for my 3080. Seems to be doing the trick. Unfortunately the cables are really bad.

Back