64gb dimms on itx?

Epyon

[H]ard|Gawd
ASUS ROG STRIX X570-I Gaming

I know it says 64gb total supported but can these boards take 2x 64gb dimms? Or even 128gb dimms?

I do have that mb by the way

Only 32GB DIMMs have been validated on the ASUS ROG STRIX X570-I. It's unlikely that using larger DIMMs would work.

Well……shit lol
When you go with the mini-ITX format, you have to understand that you are making compromises in order to get a smaller form factor machine. A lack of expansion capability is the biggest drawback to the form factor. If you need to build a workstation that requires a lot of memory, storage or powerful GPU's, mini-ITX isn't the answer.

Yeah your right. I am hoping that ddr 5 will bring 128gb to the itx or even 256gb. We will see

Yeah your right. I am hoping that ddr 5 will bring 128gb to the itx or even 256gb. We will see
Eventually. However, the current 12th generation Core i9 12900K only supports a maximum of 128GB of DDR5 RAM using 4 modules. 2x32GB DIMMs is as large as you can go for now. There are considerations on how the board is built that factor in, so it may be possible to support 64GB DIMMs (unless the processor's memory controller limits this in some way) but I've not seen any 2x64GB kits so far. The largest consumer level DIMMs I've seen in DDR5 are all 32GB.

Well, I was able to find a maingear F1 31 case for sale so what I might do is send it off to someone to have it blue printed and adjust the size in CAD to take ATX or EATX motherboard‘s that was my original plan and print the case in carbon fiber of course the days of steel are over

Well, I was able to find a maingear F1 31 case for sale so what I might do is send it off to someone to have it blue printed and adjust the size in CAD to take ATX or EATX motherboard‘s that was my original plan and print the case in carbon fiber of course the days of steel are over
You can't just copy a case made in steel in another material. Different materials behave differently at a given thickness. Carbon fiber is strong, but it would be very brittle at the same thickness as the stamped steel of the case. Additionally, you have to engineer around the fact that steel is riveted together. So you have to change the design for that. Then you have to make it thicker. Then you have to change the way its designed to provide mounting solutions for the hardware. Then there are cooling considerations and all kinds of other stuff. Blueprinting the case isn't really what you want to do. Basically all you can do is take exact measurements of the ATX mounting holes and then try and engineer/fabricate case out of the new material on your own. It's a lot harder than it sounds.

Steel is used because manufacturing with it is cheap and easy.

I just started looking into 3d scanning objects. Not saying you are wrong but i won't know till i start making phone calls. If i have to make it myself i will. i know i will have to tap my own holes.

Last edited:
I just started looking into 3d scanning objects. Not saying you are wrong but i won't know till i start making phone calls. If i have to make it myself i will. i know i will have to tap my own holes.
Just ook at aluminum cases. Aluminum is much softer than steel. While aluminum is super light weight, it's not as strong. Aluminum is soft and in order to get the necessary rigidity, things like the motherboard tray are far thicker than their steel counterparts. Aluminum cases were always far more expensive. The reason being that the material is much harder to work with from a manufacturing standpoint. Aluminum cases aren't stamped sheet metal. They are put together entirely differently. Similarly, cases that use a lot of plastics are built very differently from those that are entirely steel or are made of aluminum. It's not an aesthetic choice. It's mainly done for manufacturing reasons and because different materials have different properties.

Carbon fiber is a totally different thing. It's light, and strong in a way but it needs to be built differently from a structural perspective in order to work. It's more like plastic than steel. Simply copying a steel design from a 3D scan and making it out of carbon fiber isn't going to work. If you call manufacturing places, they'll tell you that. I'm not trying to dissuade you from finding out. By all means, do not take my word for it. I'm just telling you what to expect.

Getting back to the topic at hand, if your looking to get a case that can handle an E-ATX board, then it doesn't matter if mini-ITX can't handle 128GB in two DIMMs. Furthermore, there are very good reasons why E-ATX compatible cases are larger. If you look at designs that accept E-ATX boards, they are larger for a reason. If you take a mini-ITX case and scale it up for E-ATX, you might as well just get a conventional E-ATX case. They aren't all monstrous towers.

ASUS ROG STRIX X570-I Gaming

I know it says 64gb total supported but can these boards take 2x 64gb dimms? Or even 128gb dimms?
No. 64 GB DIMMs do not yet exist in the enthusiast RAM market. And 128 GB DIMMs will not be available for these "consumer" DIMMs in the foreseeable future. ASUS can only state the maximum total memory support of its motherboards based on what is available at the time of the motherboard's release.

And the maximum supported memory is based in part by the CPU's integrated memory controller itself. And AMD can only claim 128 GB maximum total RAM support for its Socket AM4 CPUs because unbuffered DIMMs do not yet exist in capacities larger than 32 GB.

And 64 GB DIMMs are currently available only as LRDIMMs and RDIMMs. Unfortunately, they will not work at all with any Socket AM4 CPU that only supports UDIMMs. LRDIMMs and RDIMMs require specific server CPUs and server chipsets just to even work properly, if at all.

No. 64 GB DIMMs do not yet exist in the enthusiast RAM market. And 128 GB DIMMs will not be available for these "consumer" DIMMs in the foreseeable future. ASUS can only state the maximum total memory support of its motherboards based on what is available at the time of the motherboard's release.

And the maximum supported memory is based in part by the CPU's integrated memory controller itself. And AMD can only claim 128 GB maximum total RAM support for its Socket AM4 CPUs because unbuffered DIMMs do not yet exist in capacities larger than 32 GB.

And 64 GB DIMMs are currently available only as LRDIMMs and RDIMMs. Unfortunately, they will not work at all with any Socket AM4 CPU that only supports UDIMMs. LRDIMMs and RDIMMs require specific server CPUs and server chipsets just to even work properly, if at all.
It's always fun to talk about tech futures, but I have to wonder. But IF/WHEN 64 GB RAM sticks become available for DDR4, and ASUS updates my BIOS, what would I do with 128 GB, or in the more extreme case, 512 GB of RAM? My current rig has 2 x 16 GB installed, and I'm planning to add another 2 x 16 GB next January,for those large many-layer Photoshop images. Now I don't mean to channel Bill Gates when he said something like 640 KB is enough for anyone. I'm sure there are some people who would want to upgrade their desktops to 512 GB if they could, but that must be an extremely rare use case.

It's always fun to talk about tech futures, but I have to wonder. But IF/WHEN 64 GB RAM sticks become available for DDR4, and ASUS updates my BIOS, what would I do with 128 GB, or in the more extreme case, 512 GB of RAM? My current rig has 2 x 16 GB installed, and I'm planning to add another 2 x 16 GB next January,for those large many-layer Photoshop images. Now I don't mean to channel Bill Gates when he said something like 640 KB is enough for anyone. I'm sure there are some people who would want to upgrade their desktops to 512 GB if they could, but that must be an extremely rare use case.
Full disk cache, only read from disk once and then never again! I used to manage servers with that kind of ram, but we ran an in-memory database (persisted to disk, we were crazy, but not insane), so we needed a lot of ram on the servers that were part of the larger databases. I'm sure there's some video editing workflows that could use that much ram for a desktop user, but you've got to be running out of CPU or something and wanting to do something clustery pretty soon. OTOH, Electron is taking over and demands more and more RAM; maybe something for VMs too.

samsung stated there will be 512gb dimms comming but nothing us cosumers can use atm. but give it a few years we may get 128gb dims.

It doesn't work like that. An IMC can only support so much RAM. If the limit today is 128GB, that's what its limit is always going to be. It's also not likely to ever support 64GB DIMMs either. It will probably only ever work right with 4x32GB DIMMs.

Last edited:
It doesn't work like that, as Dan_D stated. At this point CPU manufacturers have effectively discontinued further development of their DDR4 support, while memory manufacturers have also ceased further development of DDR4 RAM. The same thing occurred with DDR3 RAM in 2017, when Kaby Lake (aka the 7th-Gen Intel Core CPUs) was the last new desktop CPU to ever support DDR3 RAM.

Which means that we will never see any 64 GB DDR4 UDIMMs at all while any "new" DDR4 memory DIMMs that we will ever see are rehashes that use the very same IC chips that are in current DDR4 DIMMs. From this point onwards, all RAM development is on DDR5.

Well that makes sense. I will just have to move to an atx board. And Dan d was correct on the custom case after talking to someone that can rebuild the case said it’s going to be a task and I am going to pay for it lol

Got two systems with 128G - mostly use it for VMs and other similar things, plus running video work / etc while gaming.

samsung stated there will be 512gb dimms comming but nothing us cosumers can use atm. but give it a few years we may get 128gb dims.
It's always fun to speculate. Imagine a consumer quad-channel motherboard with 8 slots. A full TB of RAM. A memory tester like memtest might take days. :)

It's always fun to speculate. Imagine a consumer quad-channel motherboard with 8 slots. A full TB of RAM. A memory tester like memtest might take days. :)
It's not that bad. Few hours, but it actually doesn't scale linearly oddly enough - I have to run that not infrequently.

Back