5900X Undervolting with PBO2 -or- Negative Offset -or- Both?

Evil Scooter

Supreme [H]ardness
So just getting back into the team green swing with this 5900X. Found a good video on setting up an undervolt with PBO2 last night and ran with a negative 30 for a few hours last night gaming, got one BSOD. But until then the boost was up to 4950 and temps were down a good 10c as was the total power consumption. Hovered in the 50-60c range for the 2 hours or so I was playing BF5. I went to bed after the BSOD. Went into the BIOS this am and set the PBO Curve Optimizer to -20. Will see how that works out.

Prior to finding the PBO2 I had read quite a bit on using a Negative Offset. Can this be used with the PBO2 Curve.. or is it redundant?

IF i understand correctly, the curve opt. makes offset pointless, as its doing instead. i havent played with it though as i was happy with my offset alone(ie lazy).

IF i understand correctly, the curve opt. makes offset pointless, as its doing instead. i havent played with it though as i was happy with my offset alone(ie lazy).
That is what I am understanding as well.. thx 4 reply. I'm using all core curve instead of individual. -20 seems pretty stable.. will try -25 later.

The two are not mutually exclusive. I use PBO and Curve optimizer at the same time.

Just keep in mind that instability that results from too low of a negative offset will usually manifest itself while the system is at idle, NOT while the system is at load. It's a curve. At load, the system is pumping extra voltage into the CPU to maintain boost clocks. Instability generally occurs at idle, or very low loads, when voltage is the lowest. So you can have your system totally Prime95 stable but it reboots overnight while you are sleeping.

I've had great results using Corecycler, which will load down ONE core at a time, and rotate through all of the cores. https://github.com/sp00n/corecycler It really helped me nail down my per-core offsets.

^^ Thanks for the info. Too lazy to do per core at this time as the cpu has been running great all day at -25 all core & it's definitely running cooler.

CPUZ CPU Bench 01.11.22.jpg

Score seems in line with what others are getting.

PBO Negative Offset for sure, along with configuring your EDC, TDC and PPT settings for optimal performance and cooling to balance single core and multicore performance.

Capture10.JPG

Back