5900x / dark Hero / Idle temps issue and voltage when gaming

Elric82

Limp Gawd
Hi i've been using those settings on my 5900x / Dark Hero Motherboard : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nzFeGHe8WR62FpJnV0cOSLAIzNcG7HWm?usp=sharing

I use PBO curve with -15/30, I still don't get why my idle temps when using normal power plan more are above 50c when lots of people with same system / Aio are having around 40c idle I'm using an alternative power plan (ryzen sz v4) which lower my temps around 35c but i'm not sure it makes the whole thing stable.

My gaming temps are fine though, around 60c but i'm not comfortable with those idle temps

. Also i've noticed that the vcore while gaming stays quite high even if the temps are not bad at all, around 1.4, is this normal?

Thanks

your bios is probably giving it too much juice on auto settings. try using a voltage offset in the bios, start at -0.05/0.075v

Don't use voltage offset. You are doing it correctly by using the Curve Optimizer, which does it dynamically. -15 through -20 all core should be doable by most CPU's. I wouldnt worry too much about idle temps and voltage honestly. What are your load temps like during gaming and other tasks?

On older zen CPU's like the 3000 series you can use the negative voltage offset, but on ryzen 5000 they use a completely different system for voltages and temps. It’s not a static value as an offset. It’s a dynamic offset that’s bigger at low frequencies and smaller at high. This makes it so that you get a bigger power budget for low threaded workloads to boost higher

Read about curve optimizer here, which better explains the feature.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1626...ptive-undervolting-for-ryzen-5000-coming-soon

Don't use voltage offset. You are doing it correctly by using the Curve Optimizer, which does it dynamically. -15 through -20 all core should be doable by most CPU's. I wouldnt worry too much about idle temps and voltage honestly. What are your load temps like during gaming and other tasks?

On older zen CPU's like the 3000 series you can use the negative voltage offset, but on ryzen 5000 they use a completely different system for voltages and temps.
Load temps are around 60 so all good
Idle and browsing temps are jus very spiky doing from 40 to 55/60 for nothing

Load temps are around 60 so all good
Idle and browsing temps are jus very spiky doing from 40 to 55/60 for nothing
ah thats good to hear. what program are you using to monitor temps? Some programs can poll the cpu cores enough to keep them awake making them boost higher thus causing temps to spike a little. I've used ryzen master and that seems to get me the most accurate idle temps. FWIW browsing the internet on my 5800x will spike temps into the 50's.

On older zen CPU's like the 3000 series you can use the negative voltage offset, but on ryzen 5000 they use a completely different system for voltages and temps. It’s not a static value as an offset. It’s a dynamic offset that’s bigger at low frequencies and smaller at high. This makes it so that you get a bigger power budget for low threaded workloads to boost higher

Read about curve optimizer here, which better explains the feature.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1626...ptive-undervolting-for-ryzen-5000-coming-soon
my 2600x isnt static voltage either. you do understand what a voltage offset is right?!

my 2600x isnt static voltage either. you do understand what a voltage offset is right?!
A negative voltage offset isn't the proper way to undervolt a 5000 series CPU. The curve optimizer performs better because it can back off the undervolt when more power is needed, allowing higher boost across the range of voltages. If you set a static undervolt on a 5000 CPU you are going to limit the max boost.

A negative voltage offset isn't the proper way to undervolt a 5000 series CPU. The curve optimizer performs better because it can back off the undervolt when more power is needed, allowing higher boost across the range of voltages. If you set a static undervolt on a 5000 CPU you are going to limit the max boost.
its not an undervolt, its an offset.

its not an undervolt, its an offset.
Doesn't matter. A 2600x is not a 5xxx series CPU. You don't use a voltage offset with the 5xxx CPUs and instead use Curve Optimizer because it's better and it can be used per core if you want. A voltage offset on the 2600x will always keep the voltage offset by how much you set it. Curve Optimizer will start with a larger offset at lower loads to reduce power usage and reduce the offset at higher loads to allow higher clocks and better boosting. Curve Optimizer is a granular and dynamic way to offset voltages and can be set per core if you want.

A static voltage offset on a 5xxx series CPU will cheat you out of performance, possibly by quite a bit which is not needed when Curve Optimizer is available. Trying to use both a static offset and Curve Optimizer will likely result in terrible boost at any load and considerable instability.

As for the original poster's issue, the high idle temps could be because something is running in the background not allowing the CPU to properly idle and put cores to sleep. I've noticed this happening in Windows quite a bit. Something always seems to be running in the background causing cores to wake up and boost keeping the clockspeed and voltage higher than it should be at idle causing higher temps. I typically see lower temps and lower idle CPU usage under Linux which is what I normally run. That said, I'm currently downloading a game on Steam and while the CPU usage is low it's not allowing clock speeds to drop fully so my "idle" temp is about 43C instead of the normal 32C on my 5800x.

Honestly I don't get this offset/undevolt/underclock/curve shit at all. When I clocked my 5800X I went straight for the jugular: Multi + Cpu vcore. I disabled all the power saving shit. I tried using the curve/PBO crap and I was rewarded with bloo-screens. Even that shit ass program Ryzen Master was a waste of time. My rig runs 24/7 at 4.9Ghz with 1.4v. Idle temps are 35/40c and when I game it might hit 65c.

Old school = [H]

Honestly I don't get this offset/undevolt/underclock/curve shit at all. When I clocked my 5800X I went straight for the jugular: Multi + Cpu vcore. I disabled all the power saving shit. I tried using the curve/PBO crap and I was rewarded with bloo-screens. Even that shit ass program Ryzen Master was a waste of time. My rig runs 24/7 at 4.9Ghz with 1.4v. Idle temps are 35/40c and when I game it might hit 65c.

Old school = [H]

You have 1 CCX that is a bit easier to do.

These 5xxx chips idle high - it's a 'feature' according to amd XD

even the 5600x idles mid 40s at 1.1vcore. There' just no way around it. You can bring it down some, but it's never going to be anything you've been used to with all previous processors, they just idle too damn high.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this

even the 5600x idles mid 40s at 1.1vcore. There' just no way around it. You can bring it down some, but it's never going to be anything you've been used to with all previous processors, they just idle too damn high.
My 5800x with 240mm AIO "idles" at 32C-33C while doing something simple like browsing this forum. When not doing anything at all it idles around 27C-28C. At least it does when I'm in Linux instead of Windows. Windows has way too much running in the background to allow the CPU to properly downclock and park cores so it always runs higher idle temps. Leaving the computer completely alone it will at best drop to 33C.

Still, the comparisons to systems different from mine are mostly irrelevant since most don't mention the cooling their using on the CPU, the cooling in the case, the type of case and ambient temps. That said, ambient temps here are a bit warmer than most but I do have decent cooling and quite a bit of airflow in my case. The case is also not some micro-ITX shoebox with an nVidia 3090 running in it. But the point is the 5000 series AMD CPUs can idle at low temps if the CPUs are allowed to idle and good cooling is present.

This chip will do 4850 with auto over clocking + 200Mhz .. the temps are with a Gen 1 1600 AB copper core cooler on B550 in default with a higher power plan ... A 5600x can get toasty at 65 watts..

A 5600x can get toasty at 65 watts..
That's because that 5600X is capable of pulling 140w with a manual oc, and 130w with PBO. Those are PPT values. Like my 105w 5900X can do 215w PPT on its own. Manual is too brutal once you get past 4700 on my 5900X. 215w PPT with full mem = 390w @ the wall lol. She's a bit of a pig.

All of these 5000 series chips run hot. I thought I would never get mine under "some" control. It would bang 90C under all core boost and has finally settled down into the low 80C on a 240 AIO.

I do have an MSI AIO 240 for it .. just never got around to it yet as I been fighting a brain infection since Nov of last year but Wake Forest is leading the fight for me now .

My 5800x with 240mm AIO "idles" at 32C-33C while doing something simple like browsing this forum. When not doing anything at all it idles around 27C-28C. At least it does when I'm in Linux instead of Windows. Windows has way too much running in the background to allow the CPU to properly downclock and park cores so it always runs higher idle temps. Leaving the computer completely alone it will at best drop to 33C.

Still, the comparisons to systems different from mine are mostly irrelevant since most don't mention the cooling their using on the CPU, the cooling in the case, the type of case and ambient temps. That said, ambient temps here are a bit warmer than most but I do have decent cooling and quite a bit of airflow in my case. The case is also not some micro-ITX shoebox with an nVidia 3090 running in it. But the point is the 5000 series AMD CPUs can idle at low temps if the CPUs are allowed to idle and good cooling is present.
sounds sus

I think if I got one, I would shoot for a manual OC of something like 4.60-4.65 at 1.25-1.28V. I'm pretty sure I could give a fuck less about Cinebench single core scores.

thought this board had that one feature OC dynamic switcher that kept single and multi performance higher then manual OC'ing i have yet to touch the voltage curve but my system idles in the 30's boosts up to maybe 45 while browsing using chrome doing some remote work. though i do have 420 Aio with 6 fans in push pull.

In that video it's about the bottom number as what speed the cpu is staying at .. if I could cool it better then more cores would stay at 4650Mhz like 65c range .

I posted about something similar a few months back, at the time my 5900x wasn't downclocking on idle properly (desktop usage power draw was arnd 65w...) but an update to the ryzen chipset driver fixed it. Noticed last week it was back again and the issue is present on both the 5900x/x570 tuf and the 3800x/b550 systems, though you hardly notice it on the 3800 because it means 32w vs 42w in desktop use (single ccd) vs 36w and 65w for the 5900x and much higher temps. Bios updated, drivers updated (and downgraded back to what it was back in March when it was fixed, no effect), at some point some combo of windows and ryzen updates has brought the gremlin back. I suspected a hw polling app like asus aura or corsair cue but the sff has none of that installed so it really is some weird gremlin. For now, I have added desktop shortcuts to switch between powersaver and balanced plans, idle behaves as it should on powersaver but clocks are much slower to ramp-up. Hoping someone at AMD actually fixes this...and yes tried a bunch of ryzen specific plans from places, no dice...just hope it's not an ASUS thing.

Mine doesn't run hot at all, neither did my 5600. It runs hot because AIOs kind of suck :D

Capture.JPG

I kid I kid :)

Played around with a bunch of AMD PBS settings, still the same thing, I am beginning to suspect it's nicehash running something in the background even when not mining...may uninstall it to test. Is the one common thing between the two systems and I know their real time monitoring service is likely constantly polling the hw including cpu...

I have the latest MSI bios for my B550 Mortar , plus chipsets and windows updates .. the ride along the way getting things to smooth out without a new windows install with a switch from Ryzen 3 3100 to 5600x has been a little rough , but once I pulled the RX 570 and added RX 5700 in Gen 4 mode everything got way better . Also when installing the Radeon driver and first opening after install will ask how do you want it to run ? I always pick Gaming which does control the cpu's power plan options I do believe .

And this morning it's back to normal, may be the changes I made in the AMD power options yesterday did take effect, regardless, hope it stays...this is what I get with NH running in background and bunch of browser tabs open.
1625417402546.png

What is maddening is that the ASUS BIOS defaults these to auto which effectively means disabled and locks the voltage/frequency bins to the top tiers wasting energy and causing very high temps. Had I not had my SFF to test and verify the behavior, I had almost begun to suspect getting a bad 5900x or a mobo hw fault so please keep this in mind if you are running Ryzen with an ASUS board and like cooler temps and you know...saving some energy.

How does it do under gaming load as I guess you have a AIO on it ..
Depends on the game but will go to low 80s under heavy all core load, as expected. Now idling in the 40s vs 70s before (because it was running close to max current/voltage all the time).

How do you get mid 40s on a 5600x at idle? Is ambient at 35+ or do you use 10-15% CPU at "idle"?

Your mobo temp is 41c so it is hot as fuck in your space. I disagree with everyone who says they idle and run hot. Nope.. you need to work on your cooling is all that means. So until you can get your case temps down you are destined to be running on the warmer side, AIO or not.

read. the. thread. the answer is in there...
Can't find an answer for why a 5600x would get that hot on idle or any post from the one I quoted. The only posts are related to the 5900x draws a lot more power at idle than the 5600x and 5800x due to having one more CCD. E.g. my 5800x idles at 3-5 degrees above ambient while my 5900x idles at 6-9 degrees above ambient even though the 5900x has about 50% more cooling capacity. Granted the 5900x has dual rank memory and 3x PCIe 4.0 devices so probably a bit more load on the CPU in general.

Can't find an answer for why a 5600x would get that hot on idle or any post from the one I quoted. The only posts are related to the 5900x draws a lot more power at idle than the 5600x and 5800x due to having one more CCD. E.g. my 5800x idles at 3-5 degrees above ambient while my 5900x idles at 6-9 degrees above ambient even though the 5900x has about 50% more cooling capacity. Granted the 5900x has dual rank memory and 3x PCIe 4.0 devices so probably a bit more load on the CPU in general.
never mind, someone thread jacked and said they fixed their problem. i thought it was op...

Back