5900x $329

Wow - shipped in less than 3 hours of ordering.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220728-153206.png
    Screenshot_20220728-153206.png
    339.8 KB · Views: 1
Like others have mentioned, it's probably an automated thing based on supply/demand in real time. A la rideshare "surge pricing." A friend of mine has a Shopify plugin that does that, and his business is tiny. Big sites have more sophisticated options.

Still waiting on the 5950X to keep dropping in price. It's $499 now which is only $75 more than I paid for my 3900X two years ago.
Yep, waiting on some Best But gift cards to arrive that I got free and hoping BB drops it more than the $499 they have it for as well.

While the 7000 series looks like it will be a worthy upgrade... they aren't going to be that price. $329 is just GOOD for a relatively low power (compared to the competition) full 12 core CPU. Possibly still the best all-round CPU at that price, though I'm a little biased since I have one.

It was getting hard to still recommend the 5900x at $400 when the 12700k is also $400. The thermal envelope is similar and the single thread performance leans in Intel's favor as do the newer motherboard features. Only heavily multi-thread is still won by the 5900x.

But at $329? That's $70 less than the 12700k. Which is back to being a pretty screaming deal for the performance.

Jesus - I already received the damn thing.

Less than 2 days - free shipping. Love it.

Thank you OP - had no idea about this seller. Will do business with them again.

I am so tempted for one...uggs. But I'd be redoing a 3600xt, so it doesn't do much.......

The 5800x 3D... if that is really what floats your boat, then I would REALLY wait for the 7000 series. Because the principle benefit to the 3D V-Cache is in my mind essentially the boost it provides to PER CORE (or single thread) performance in gaming specifically.

Based on all the rumors so far, all the 7000 series chips will have faster single thread performance than the 5800x 3D does. And the 7000 3D they are supposed to be releasing, even more.

At $430... I'd want more than 8 physical cores, or even more gaming perf. That CPU made more sense a couple of months ago I think, but not now that we are so close to next gen.

I think the only justification I can think of for the 5800x 3D is if you already have a 500 series motherboard and have no intention of buying a new mobo and DDR5 for the 7000 series period. If that is you, and you have a cheap-ish 3000 or 5000 series CPU then maybe it's justifiable to put the 5800x 3D in for the next few years and skip the new gen for a while.

But... that really isn't a good path in my mind for bang-buck. It's acceptable but not a great use of money. Better to leave the current machine parts as-is and gift/sell them when 7000 series launches and have an extra system worth of parts rather than a useless extra CPU with no motherboard.

The 7000 series is gonna be an incredible cost over upgrading just a CPU. More money for the CPU, brand new motherboard, brand new RAM, and that's if you don't want to go all the way and get a new Power Supply/Case, everything else. Just the idea of trying to buy 64GB of DDR5 makes my wallet cry.
This is, of course, with the expectation that you'll actually be able to buy ANY of this at not price-gouging prices within 6 months of release. I have my doubts.

Get a 5000 series now, use it for a few years, then upgrade to AM5 when the 8000/9000 (whatever they call the gen after 7000) comes out and AM5 motherboards and RAM prices have stabilized, BIOS have gotten more mature, the prices gougers no longer rule the market and we know just how much damn power its actually gonna take for a theoretical 600 watt GPU / 200 watt CPU.
You might not have the "absolute best" CPU, but, frankly, nothing that's main platform of release is a PS5 / Xbox Series X is gonna be more demanding than the 5800X3D (or any other 5000 series 8+core CPU) for quite a few years.

Now, for productivity, that's a different ballpark.
Still waiting on the 5950X to keep dropping in price. It's $499 now which is only $75 more than I paid for my 3900X two years ago.
I got mine for $530 a few months ago as an upgrade from my 3900X and I'm super happy with it. If you do any sort of rendering/transcoding, the upgrade is worth the cash.

If only you could OC a 5800X3D. So temping for the price to get a 58/5900X.

The 5800x 3D... if that is really what floats your boat, then I would REALLY wait for the 7000 series. Because the principle benefit to the 3D V-Cache is in my mind essentially the boost it provides to PER CORE (or single thread) performance in gaming specifically.

I really dont want to buy a new CPU, mobo and ddr5 at retail pricing or even higher at launch so I need something to last about 8-12 months and then do a full upgrade.

I'm torn between the 5900X and the 3080 12G card. I might just jump on video card first, then I'll snag a 5900X.

Good plan imo.
Yep.
See if you have any more bottlenecks with the 3080 before you spend the cash to upgrade the processor. Upgrading the videocard will absolutely give you noticeable performance improvements all around, pretty much immediately. Upgrading the processor *might* give you some performance improvements in particular scenarios.

I think the only justification I can think of for the 5800x 3D is if you already have a 500 series motherboard and have no intention of buying a new mobo and DDR5 for the 7000 series period. If that is you, and you have a cheap-ish 3000 or 5000 series CPU then maybe it's justifiable to put the 5800x 3D in for the next few years and skip the new gen for a while.
Yes that is the point. But don't forget 400/300 MB's ya.

I'm torn between the 5900X and the 3080 12G card. I might just jump on video card first, then I'll snag a 5900X.

Normally I'd upgrade a GPU first. But considering a new GPU generation is around the corner I'd rather get the CPU and then wait for the next GPU. GPU performance jumps and new features are generally much larger than CPUs.

Does the 5800x 3D work on 400 and 300 series boards?
Varies board by board. The most recent (or near most recent) BIOS update should explicitly mention 5800X3D or 5000 series.

My launch x370 can't go above the 3000 series as its most recent bios is over 2 years old. But certain other x370s can.

Most 400 series should be able to run it.

Last edited:
Varies board by board. The most recent (or near most recent) BIOS update should explicitly mention 5800X3D or 5000 series.

My launch x370 can't go above the 3000 series as its most recent bios is over 2 years old. But certain other x370s can.

Most 400 series should be able to run it.
Turns out I was wrong! My literal at launch x370 board (Asrock X370 Gaming K4) that was a model that was killed off within a year got a beta bios update that allows 5000 series CPUs and also windows 11 last month.

What a world we live in.

Turns out I was wrong! My literal at launch x370 board (Asrock X370 Gaming K4) that was a model that was killed off within a year got a beta bios update that allows 5000 series CPUs and also windows 11 last month.

What a world we live in.
MC now has em for $399

https://www.microcenter.com/product...ore_AM4_Boxed_Processor_-_Cooler_Not_Included

Scratch that
ANTONLINE BABY - $377! with the 10% discount code TECHSAVE10

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1252862049...ba3c60b:g:XOQAAOSw9ZpivoCI&LH_ItemCondition=3

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How depressing, now they are up to $399.99...

Maybe they will come back down, but no deal now.

$359 on Amazon for 5900x plus 5% cash back if you have their credit card. Works out to $341.05 + tax.

Back