5900x $329

I'm seeing $359 now, how long was it at $329?

I don't need to upgrade my 3700X, but I want to. I can resist at $360, but if the 5900X/5800X3D keep dropping ($299, pls?) I'll grab one and ride out at least the first few gens of AM5.

This is always tempting. Still, I want to see what the Nvidia 4xxx series cards end up costing and having as a feature set before signing on for several more years of Zen 3.

This is always tempting. Still, I want to see what the Nvidia 4xxx series cards end up costing and having as a feature set before signing on for several more years of Zen 3.
I don't see the correlation here?

I think he meant to say something along the lines of purchasing an AM4 processor, this late in the cycle might not be the best course of action with the new chips, reportedly coming out soon. The $329 is a hell of a deal. I paid $512 about a year ago, and thought I got a decent deal.
Me, I am going to wait for the 2nd revision to come out before I consider an upgrade, as the first generation, historically, seems to be a bug-ridden mess with compatibility and feature-sets.

The thought is that Nvidia could support PCIe Gen 5 with their upcoming cards (unlikely, but possible) which isn't supported on Zen 3, but will be on Zen 4 and Intel. I don't want to drop the cash for high-end Zen 3 processor and commit to a "dead" platform if that's where things are headed sooner than later. Plus, even if they don't, the new cards might cost and arm and a leg. I'd see more performance gain for what I need with a new video card than a processor.

I'd have bought it for $329, but wasn't fast enough. Would be quite an upgrade from my 1700. Maybe it will drop again later today.

So the past two nights, I've notice they put it to $329 on ebay, then it seems during the day, they jack it back up.

So the past two nights, I've notice they put it to $329 on ebay, then it seems during the day, they jack it back up.
Dynamic/surge pricing isn't just an Uber thing, I'm sure they lower it and if they get a bunch of sales in rapid succession they raise it back up to nab the guys who "just missed but shoot I still want it!!"

So in addition to the 5900x...

5600x $165
5800x $260
5800x3d $419

I know the first two they are also playing day/night on ebay. Their website may be more straightforward.

Considering pulling the plug on this 5900x. Looking for a good mobo to go with this - nothing too crazy. But at least 2 NVME slots and an optical out port. Any recommendations?

The thought is that Nvidia could support PCIe Gen 5 with their upcoming cards (unlikely, but possible) which isn't supported on Zen 3, but will be on Zen 4 and Intel. I don't want to drop the cash for high-end Zen 3 processor and commit to a "dead" platform if that's where things are headed sooner than later. Plus, even if they don't, the new cards might cost and arm and a leg. I'd see more performance gain for what I need with a new video card than a processor.
Yes we will see if Nvidia provides some majik where that would matter or if they just stuff it in as a box check mark. My feelings are right now it wouldn't matter in the slightest as they wouldn't want to alienate their core consumers and they don't work for Intel/AMD MB manufactures as a must have feature set. Let it be a solid industry MB feature backed by benches before a GPU manufacturer tries to stuff it down your throat in the hopes of segmented adoption at high enough numbers to make it all worth it.
Anything too demanding you loose sales ya?

Man, what a good deal. These things were so hard to get just a year ago at like ~$600. Tempted to since it'd still be a moderate upgrade from my 10900k even, but I'm also feeling too lazy to reformat and sell off my stuff haha.

Considering pulling the plug on this 5900x. Looking for a good mobo to go with this - nothing too crazy. But at least 2 NVME slots and an optical out port. Any recommendations?
Asus B550 gaming? Gave this one to my dad with a 5600G. He uses the optical out for his Bose soundbar, works great and I think it was on sale recently for maybe $150 (currently $178 at Amazon).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088W7RKVZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
IMG_2304.JPEG

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
They also have a 5700G on sale for $219, lowest around. For some reason it won't let me create an account on their website - janky.

EDIT: Had to clear cookies to get a new account created.

Last edited:
Yes!!! FInally a good processor. Bought the 5900x baby! Haven't had an AMD in a minute. Ended up going with the Asus Tuf Gaming X57-Plus and a couple sticks of 16gb ram.

Now waiting for it all is the hard part. Two hours to get a confirmation email is a little sketch. Will update if there's an issue.
I have a 240mm AIO that runs this oc'd 9600k really well - less than 60c on pretty much everything. I've got an AM4 bracket for it - does this 5900x require exemplary cooling?

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 9.17.37 AM.png

Last edited:
Yes!!! FInally a good processor. Bought the 5900x baby! Haven't had an AMD in a minute. Ended up going with the Asus Tuf Gaming X57-Plus and a couple sticks of 16gb ram.

Now waiting for it all is the hard part. Two hours to get a confirmation email is a little sketch. Will update if there's an issue.
I have a 240mm AIO that runs this oc'd 9600k really well - less than 60c on pretty much everything. I've got an AM4 bracket for it - does this 5900x require exemplary cooling?

View attachment 495828
I've had mine with a 240 and 280mm AIO. mid 60's to mid 70's C while gaming, but my ambient temp is usually 78-80*F.

I love when people do this BS. They're trying to catch someone not paying attention or telling someone else to buy it, not realizing they then jacked it up $30 or whatever. Imagine being so broke you actually went into your listings manually messing with prices like this daily for a quick $30.

I love when people do this BS. They're trying to catch someone not paying attention or telling someone else to buy it, not realizing they then jacked it up $30 or whatever. Imagine being so broke you actually went into your listings manually messing with prices like this daily for a quick $30.
Probably a lot more automated than that, and if you consider that this might be occurring across the inventory on the entire site, it definitely pays for itself quick.

Probably a lot more automated than that, and if you consider that this might be occurring across the inventory on the entire site, it definitely pays for itself quick.
Really strange to be honest.

I must have had one of the last ones at the $329 price.

Really weird they changed it during the day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220728-135223.png
    Screenshot_20220728-135223.png
    152.4 KB · Views: 1
Really strange to be honest.

I must have had one of the last ones at the $329 price.

Really weird they changed it during the day.
Who knows what games people are playing these days to F each other over. I know their distributor won't be adjusting prices this quickly unless there's some sort of new real-time inventory pricing system out there. And if that's the case, then supply demand pricing is about to be kicked into overdrive.

Who knows what games people are playing these days to F each other over. I know their distributor won't be adjusting prices this quickly unless there's some sort of new real-time inventory pricing system out there. And if that's the case, then supply demand pricing is about to be kicked into overdrive.
I may be they are trying to sell it for less than AMD tells them to, so they have to adjust it upward when AMD is paying attention....

Beats me their logic.

Does this actually matter though? I could see it for Gen 5 m.2 support but I don’t even think gen 4 makes a difference yet in GPUs. Maybe not even gen 3 afaik.

I may be they are trying to sell it for less than AMD tells them to, so they have to adjust it upward when AMD is paying attention....

Beats me their logic.
Possibly, but it would be trivial for AMD to audit them and then take action against them for undercutting the agree to price.

The whole world has gone crazy. I want off this ride.

Back