5800x most popular processor?

Won't lie, we get spoiled by MC. When I see ppl trying to offload 1080tis for $600 I have to remind myself not everyone has the option of buying a brand new 6600xt for $500.

Having a Microcenter in town is a Godsend and one nobody should take for granted. While it's nice to have good processor/mobo deals down the road, I appreciate the little stuff even more. If I run out of thermal paste or if a fan dies I can snag a tube of Kryonaut and one of over 100 different case fans (including refurbs) in minutes. If any of my friends need PC advice, I can send them into the store with a cheat sheet of basic specs...and the staff doesn't try to screw them over or oversell 'em, either.

That blows dude. I have been working from home since 2/26/2020. Before that my commute was 18-22 minutes.

The cost savings isn't even worth it in the case of the 5800x, for example. I'd have to drive a total of 6 hours roundtrip to go to Microcenter just to save $50 - Not worth it. Would rather just pay $350 on Amazon with same day shipping for free.
Amazon doesn't do same day shipping for tech items in redneck states like AR though. If you want anything like that same day you drive to Dallas or St. Louis. The other reason for using a truck for this is I can fill it up with things that my friends want and paid me for, a couple of times I've rented a trailer to bring it all back.

I’m not surprised that a 5800x would be the most popular CPU for a number of reasons.

1) it’s been more available than most other 5xxx processors since Zen3 release. I didn’t get my hands on my 5900x until last August for $499 off of Amazon, which was a great price at the time (for reference, I didn’t finish my build until December). It’s the current price right now from what I can see. 5800x price was even lower, of course.

2) DDR5 price/availability is a barrier to entry, including z690 mobo’s for it. Unless you are willing to pair ADL with a DDR4 version. If I didn’t already have my 5900x on hand before I finished my build in December, and had to buy a combo, I’d have probably gone for a 12700k/12600k. But in my mind, you know, moar cores bigger number instinct despite the evidence lol Also, I didn’t want to hassle with selling my unopened 5900x etc

3) the 5800x is a convenient/easier drop-in upgrade for many existing AM4 owners. Such a cheaper & singular upgrade than a whole new system. Save and spend the savings on something else….maybe towards those unicorn GPU’s >_< or a new console, or software.

4) The 5800x is still a good CPU if the CPU is the only thing you really want/need to upgrade and already have the mobo in possession. If building new and immediately, I’d jump on a 12600/12700k with DDR4. I may even consider a 5950x later on for myself if prices drop even lower later on and pass on my 5900x as a replacement for my dad’s 3600x.

So many options right now. Competition is good.

Yes it is. The day before you fill the truck up and then the next day you get up early and drive on the Interstate Highway system for 330 miles. Then you go shopping at Micro Center and retrace your route (nearly) to get back. It's very simple and way faster than waiting on places like B&H and things that are OOS on Amazon to dribble in over the course of a week or four. Maybe it would be simple for you too if you had a vehicle that was comfortable to drive long distances. This one has an automatic transmission, 4wd, and adaptive cruise control with blind spot detection and lane keeping assistance. It has a 360 camera too so it's not a pain to park at Micro Center.
What's your fuel cost on that versus paying more for close by or Amazon? Plus the time to make that drive. That's a few hundred for my time alone...

What's your fuel cost on that versus paying more for close by or Amazon? Plus the time to make that drive. That's a few hundred for my time alone...
$50-60 spread across a few thousand bucks of hardware is nothing.

Let's remember where we are.

Hard Forum. Taking a trip to Micro Center isn't some sort of tedious trip. No, it's actually a vacation. A trip. A sweet place to chill and talk to fellow nerds.
The only question on my mind when it comes to taking a trip to Micro Center is whether I'm going for business, or pleasure.
Yes, business or pleasure. And my answer? ;)

Pleasure.

Let's remember where we are.

Hard Forum. Taking a trip to Micro Center isn't some sort of tedious trip. No, it's actually a vacation. A trip. A sweet place to chill and talk to fellow nerds.
The only question on my mind when it comes to taking a trip to Micro Center is whether I'm going for business, or pleasure.
Yes, business or pleasure. And my answer? ;)

Pleasure.
When I have 6 hours free for a drive it’s to go skiing, not waste my time being a consumer.

If that's all you're getting for 6 hours of your time, you either need a serious raise or a new job.
You asked what the fuel cost you ingrate... What I make retrieving things for my friends might not work for yours if your friends are relative tightwads. You need to realize the difference between a hobby and a profession.

It is strange to find some resistance to the idea of someone making a road trip for a giant purchase for himself and is friend to a computer part Mecca on a message board called Hard, I did (not 6 hours but in the 3-4 hours) road trip for a rare to find used charcoal at a good price or when a custom-built computer with a RTX 3070 at a good price showed up a while ago.

It is strange to find some resistance to the idea of someone making a road trip for a giant purchase for himself and is friend to a computer part Mecca on a message board called Hard, I did (not 6 hours but in the 3-4 hours) road trip for a rare to find used charcoal at a good price or when a custom-built computer with a RTX 3070 at a good price showed up a while ago.
I drive to the Gulf for seafood with a truckload of 12volt fridge/freezers once or twice a year too.

You know compared to the amount of time I see people waste on chasing stock alerts and other nonsense online, I'd gladly take the 6 hour road trip to MC to blow a few grand. At least I know I'm getting something for my time.

You asked what the fuel cost you ingrate... What I make retrieving things for my friends might not work for yours if your friends are relative tightwads. You need to realize the difference between a hobby and a profession.
You conveniently edited this part out, you ingrate. Plus the time to make that drive. That's a few hundred for my time alone... :ROFLMAO:

You conveniently edited this part out, you ingrate. Plus the time to make that drive. That's a few hundred for my time alone... :ROFLMAO:
If you're only getting low hundreds of dollars for for 6-7 hours you are too poor to have hobbies like mine.

Last edited:
Well this Thread seems to have gone off the rails……
1645217576098.jpeg

Quite the hyperbole, considering it's just a conversation about shopping for computer parts in a thread about a popular computer part.

I'd consider this more like a scenic detour. =p

Do you get paid by the hour 24/7/365 unless you're driving to Microcenter or something? If a Microcenter trip is not how you want to spend your time on a Saturday, that's cool. But to pretend you'd be losing hundreds of dollars is comical.

Quite the hyperbole, considering it's just a conversation about shopping for computer parts in a thread about a popular computer part.

I'd consider this more like a scenic detour. =p
Having a discussion is one thing, resorting to petty insults is childish….

Having a Microcenter in town is a Godsend and one nobody should take for granted. While it's nice to have good processor/mobo deals down the road, I appreciate the little stuff even more. If I run out of thermal paste or if a fan dies I can snag a tube of Kryonaut and one of over 100 different case fans (including refurbs) in minutes. If any of my friends need PC advice, I can send them into the store with a cheat sheet of basic specs...and the staff doesn't try to screw them over or oversell 'em, either.
I just checked. I live in south FL. I'd have to drive 600+ miles all the way to the nearest state (GA) just to visit one. No thanks.

I just checked. I live in south FL. I'd have to drive 600+ miles all the way to the nearest state (GA) just to visit one. No thanks.

I used to live in Chicago where we had a Micro Center... trust me... the drive is worth it.

If you want to see what one looks like, here's a video from GN that gives you a pretty good look:

I live about 15 minutes from the Denver one and it looks more or less the same.

I used to live in Chicago where we had a Micro Center... trust me... the drive is worth it.

It's 600+ miles BOTH ways. Idk, it's hard to imagine the drive being worth it. I hate traveling and the price of gas continues to soar higher every day. Even if I get the deal of the century, I'll end up no better off than buying the same damn thing at a best buy.

It was the end of 2020. Hadn't upgraded for a long time. The recommendation for gaming appeared to be six cores, but figured why not top it off with eight. And kind of silly maybe, but I always like it aesthetically when a chip is fully enabled.

It's 600+ miles BOTH ways. Idk, it's hard to imagine the drive being worth it. I hate traveling and the price of gas continues to soar higher every day. Even if I get the deal of the century, I'll end up no better off than buying the same damn thing at a best buy.
I can't see that drive being worth it in gas, food, and wear unless you were buying a ton of stuff and somehow that was still cheaper than buying online.

I was just randomly just doing some googling and as of right now, both on Amazon and at Microcenter, the Ryzen 5800x is the most "popular" and/or "best selling" processor based on how the respective reseller phrases it. I personally run a Malaysian assembled 5800x that I got used right here in the [H] a while back.

With Alder Lake being faster and usually not much more expensive if at all from Ryzen, why is the 5800x so popular? On Amazon, Intel doesn't even enter the list until position 8 with the 10400.

Even with discounts, the 5800x isn't particularly a great value. I mean the 12400 at microcenter is $160 bucks which is within a hair of performance of the 5800x in many games and productivity apps.

Is Windows 11 keeping people off Alder Lake? DDR5 availability/pricing still deterring folks?

I'm happy for AMD as competition is good, but it seems illogical for most non-biased folks.

Look at my sig: I am very happy to do a drop-in replacement/upgrade. I'll be buying more of these. That gives AMD a huge advantage, to me, over Intel.

Back