5800X all core overclock - 4800Mhz @ 72.5℃ with 1.29v

Check my sig, I do have a Crosshair. It looks like there is a newer BIOS than the one I am running, but I'm already running AGESA patch C so it should be more or less up to date.

Hmm... I wonder what board gerald has? Looks like its coming to no boards.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?121517-Crosshair-hero-viii-dynamic-oc-switcher#post819805

That aside, you don't need it really. Geralds numbers are only a few points from my basic crap strix-e. And on the strix-e I'm stuck at 130w-140w draw, can't go any higher lmao.

5800x r20.jpg

Very nice... He has tomahawk x570. How are temps? how do you like zen3 so far?

Die temps in r20 maxed at 68c and r23 was 74c. It is good so far, but asus' bios sucks ass as there's some bug in it capping performance. I can boot at 4000:2000 and w/o any added voltage, it looks stable passes prime but gives a bazillion whea errors. Thus I'm running 3800:1900 stock soc voltage and hampered by tdp limit.

Die temps in r20 maxed at 68c and r23 was 74c. It is good so far, but asus' bios sucks ass as there's some bug in it capping performance. I can boot at 4000:2000 and w/o any added voltage, it looks stable passes prime but gives a bazillion whea errors. Thus I'm running 3800:1900 stock soc voltage and hampered by tdp limit.
Good to hear :) I think it is early BIOS adaptation issues. Maybe it is blessing in the sky I didn't get my 5900x yet LOL.
This thread lists few current BIOS issues. It includes Whea errors (most likely caused by RAM settings).

Windows Event Viewer Error (Even System Restart)
Note. This should relate to individual AMD CPU but not motherboard
Symptom: When FCLK is higher, system is more likely to receive WHEA Logger error and sometimes can end up with BSOD and reboot.
Workaround: Lower FCLK for now and wait for future BIOS update
MSI board
Gigabyte board
ASUS board

Good to hear :) I think it is early BIOS adaptation issues. Maybe it is blessing in the sky I didn't get my 5900x yet LOL.
This thread lists few current BIOS issues. It includes Whea errors (most likely caused by RAM settings).

Windows Event Viewer Error (Even System Restart)
Note. This should relate to individual AMD CPU but not motherboard
Symptom: When FCLK is higher, system is more likely to receive WHEA Logger error and sometimes can end up with BSOD and reboot.
Workaround: Lower FCLK for now and wait for future BIOS update
MSI board
Gigabyte board
ASUS board

I know about the broad whea errors so it's not surprising however it is damn annoying since for Asus this was supposed to be an area they excelled at. But apparently MSI has got them beat this round. MSI's effectively tackled the whea error and gotten their bios advanced much further along than Asus. Asus' recent bios' are craptastic. Just check the amd motherboard subforum and you'll see what I mean. We have to wait until they get off their asses...

I know about the broad whea errors so it's not surprising however it is damn annoying since for Asus this was supposed to be an area they excelled at. But apparently MSI has got them beat this round. MSI's effectively tackled the whea error and gotten their bios advanced much further along than Asus. Asus' recent bios' are craptastic. Just check the amd motherboard subforum and you'll see what I mean. We have to wait until they get off their asses...
Gigabyte users are having problems too. Fecking 2020.... You would be surpised how many users are pissed off at manufacturers and are switching brands. I've seen at least few peeps switching from MSI to Asus or Gigabyte... LOL. Another interesting bug that impacts everyone is this one. I wonder if anyone is affected by it and what are the side effects..... Maybe I'm not readinging this correclty, but this tells me PBO + any manual CPU voltage adjustment will screw CPU's Turbo Frequencies. Isn't this will feck up all testing you'd do? (assuming you are touching voltage manually). I've see so many posts with people saying they are seeing weird results.... Hopefully next BIOS releases with future AGESA patch D will fix most of this major issues. I wonder if gerardfraser has seen any problems related to it.

CPU Frequency Cannot Go Turbo Frequency

Note. This issue should be common issue on all motherboard vendor
This issue happens when using Ryzen 5000 CPU + PBO enable + adjust CPU voltage
Symptom: CPU frequency locks at base frequency and will not boost to turbo
Solution: No ETA

Robert Hallock said there are some new AGESAs coming. I dont have an issue with FCLK over 1600. Running 1800 now without a beta BIOS. I wish I had time to mess with the curve optimizer. I think i could probably get slightly higher boosts.

AMD is also releasing AMD Adaptive Undervolting in new BIOS which was promised to give 2% single core and up to 10% multicore performance boost.
I also can not name every motherboard with curve optimizer but say they will get it for Ryzen 5000 and contact manufacture if you do not have it. They are tools provide by AMD for more performance and that is always a good thing.

So I’m completely unfamiliar with AMD overclocking. Is PBO better than all core OC for most cases? The few reviews I’ve seen suggest that overclocking does little to nothing for Ryzen CPUs, especially these new ones.

I’ve got a 5950x on the way that I’m building in a lian li 011 xl + dual 360s and a distribution plate so I should have sufficient cooling capacity but I’m unsure whether an OC would net me anything in games. I game at 1080/240 hz with a 3080 for reference.

So I’m completely unfamiliar with AMD overclocking. Is PBO better than all core OC for most cases? The few reviews I’ve seen suggest that overclocking does little to nothing for Ryzen CPUs, especially these new ones.

I’ve got a 5950x on the way that I’m building in a lian li 011 xl + dual 360s and a distribution plate so I should have sufficient cooling capacity but I’m unsure whether an OC would net me anything in games. I game at 1080/240 hz with a 3080 for reference.

PBO is better but its not as sexy. You can get same scores as all core with PBO however you don't loose single core speed with PBo like all core.

From AMD on Nov 6 2020-Just a matter of waiting

Beyond AGESA 1.1.0.0 for Ryzen 5000 Series:

• Returning support for negative core voltage offsets (“undervolting”) with all-new AMD functionality for better frequency, voltage, and performance tweaking
  • Additional AMD optimization for performance and stability at ~2000MHz fabric clock. While not all processors are innately capable of reaching this frequency, our tuning is intended to help stabilize the overclock on capable samples2 —good luck!
  • Additional functionality tuning for benchmarking under extreme OC conditions (e.g. LN2)
https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming...ard-for-the-amd-ryzen-5000-series/ba-p/414274

Robert Hallock twitter
1) Ryzen 5000 Series doesn't need a power plan. Don't expect to see one.
2) Yes, it can clock to DDR4-4000 1:1 if you have a good sample. Upcoming AGESA work will make this easier.
3) But you CAN tweak Ryzen perf vs. power with the Win10 Power & Sleep sider AFTER you install the chipset driver.
4) Is the memory controller the same? YES.
5) Do you need a new AGESA for pre-5000 Series CPUs? No. Not really. Stay on the BIOS you have.
6) But ROBERT what about the VOLTS and the CELSIUSES. WHAT IS NORMAL?!?!!?! ROB HELP. See below.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EmHKqLuXIAAdJLq?format=jpg&name=large7) What is the best memory to buy? TOUGH QUESTION
8) I see this a lot: "precision boost is automatic overclocking." No. False. Wrong. Precision Boost is our boost technology. Every processor has a boost technology. But ours is unique in that X THREADS do not equal Y CLOCKS. Why? Because that is SLOW.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EmHS-6QW0AEFA7N?format=jpg&name=large9) But Robert, where is undervolting? Answer: IT'S GONE. j/k. Temporarily gone for 5000 series. It'll be back in an upcoming AGESA with new functionality. ;) It's gonna be HYPE. Y'aint never seen undervolting quite like this.

4.jpg

Using Curve optimizer. I realized that using Boost +200 isnt stable if I'm pulling voltage away. hah. So I started at -15 all core. I actually got to -30 all core but it wasnt stable in an AVX load. So I have it around -20 for most cores, and -25 for my strongest and second strongest core. With this, playing multiplayer games, all cores will hit 4850mhz at some point. Seems stable so far. I went up like more than 200 points using the Curve Optimizer.

If I turn the curve optimizer off, and set boost to +200 single core would go over 5ghz sometimes. Probably not much of a difference in performance, but a cool tool to play with.

It will get better with AMD Adaptive Undervolting + AMD Curve Optimizer up to 2% single core and up to 10% multi core performance boost with lower voltage and temperatures.
You can always try for 5000Mhz or higher while gaming but does not make a difference

Assassin's Creed Valhalla set to 5000Mhz​

The Dark Pictures Anthology - Little Hope set to 5050Mhz​

We just got the Curve Optimizer on the TUF Gaming B550-Plus and I have to tell it while it's great, OC on Ryzen is taking some getting used to. My last three CPUs:

Q6600 2.4GHz -> 3.5GHz
2500K 3.3GHz -> 4.5GHz
5820K 3.3GHz -> 4.5Ghz

Huge, huge percentages.

Not that there's anything wrong with Zen 3 performance, it just kind of puts the few hundred MHz and modest OC we're getting here in perspective. None of these efforts are worth a few percentage increase but still fun.

The whole point it is fun messing around.
For sure, but with my 5600X, it's just frustration trying to stabilize boost overrride. Curve has increased my stable all core clocks, which is amazing, but getting better single-core performance is proving elusive. Not even +25MHz will work when tested with single thread in Prime and I've tried everything.

EDIT: Looking good, but I think my second best core was the culprit. Was still getting loaded in single core tests and needs more voltage to hang with my best.

Last edited:
Robert Hallock said there are some new AGESAs coming. I dont have an issue with FCLK over 1600. Running 1800 now without a beta BIOS. I wish I had time to mess with the curve optimizer. I think i could probably get slightly higher boosts.
I cant use DOCP on any of the Asus BIOS updates so far. I can only use 2606 on my Asus X570-i and that has DOCP completely disabled with my 5800X

A few times even got a BSOD with no DOCP enabled so I ended up back on 2606 permanently

Pretty disappointing, ngl thought my shit was faulty.

Back