5800x $275 at newegg.

Saw this price yesterday and tempted to upgrade my 2700X to it now. But honestly haven't touched my PC in months now and just dropped 2k on a gravel bike and $750 on a laptop for the daughter. So guess I'll wait until I'm back in PC gaming again to upgrade now.

Great price! Now that Amazon has same day delivery in my area, I definitely prefer them. I've also never had an issue with my orders as long as I'm buying something sold and shipped from amazon.

Great price! Now that Amazon has same day delivery in my area, I definitely prefer them. I've also never had an issue with my orders as long as I'm buying something sold and shipped from amazon.
I have, thankfully only on some small dollar items and nothing huge yet. I've seen horror stories though.

My Dad is still using his Sandy Bridge G620 from 2011. Boy it would be nice to upgrade his machine but I think that CPU may outlast him.

Good deal I paid a bit more for one a couple of months ago. Tempted to grab another one.

When will they make an actual 8 core CPU that has BASE CLOCK 5.0 GHz and turbo up to like 5.5 or even 6GHz?

It's like intel and amd hit a wall and just can't do it.

I'm still rocking a i5 4570K (you guys remember Haswell?) that was OC on day 1 with water cooling.

When will they make an actual 8 core CPU that has BASE CLOCK 5.0 GHz and turbo up to like 5.5 or even 6GHz?

I'm still rocking a i5 4570K (you guys remember Haswell?) that was OC on day 1 with water cooling.
You can change the power settings to high performance and the CPU won't clock down. You can also turn off the turbo 2.0 features, but still have turbo on. So the CPU will only have two speed states. Idle and full turbo.

Why does the base clock matter much when the IPC is improving every generation?

A current gen CPU at 3Ghz probably outperforms a Haswell CPU at 6Ghz on a single-threaded task.

5.5ghz would be the rumored Raptor Lake official boost clock I think, with 5.7-5.8 on 1-2 core going on:
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...-benchmarks-show-dual-core-5-8ghz-boost-clock
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...or-lake-flagship-cpu-rumored-to-run-at-5-8ghz

Has for them hitting some wall getting up to the 6ghz mark, I could imagine that, when you look at the size of a CPU and divide the time light would take to travel from a corner to the farthest corner, the time for one clock to achieved in comparison is quite impressive.

Kicking myself for not pulling the trigger soon enough. I guess this will give me time to sort of the rest of my build first.

Sadly the closest one is like 3 hours away. Wish I had one closer but thats what I get for living in the middle of nowhere I guess.
It's ok I live in the middle of the "tech capital of the world" (or at least that was the argument) and the closest one is 7 hours away.

Sadly the closest one is like 3 hours away. Wish I had one closer but thats what I get for living in the middle of nowhere I guess.
Keep an eye out for a used one. 4 out of 5 CPUs I buy (including my own 5800x) are/were used.

It's ok I live in the middle of the "tech capital of the world" (or at least that was the argument) and the closest one is 7 hours away.
Agreed. I miss the Santa Clara one. Good ol' days. Last thing I ever bought there was a C2Q Q9550 and motherboard combo...

Agreed. I miss the Santa Clara one. Good ol' days. Last thing I ever bought there was a C2Q Q9550 and motherboard combo...
Ah yes, back when Fry's was something too you had a choice of two stores. Funny as it sounds I think my Q9550 was from there as well.

That sucks, sfsuphysics there's 2 micro centers within 7 hours of me and I live in Arkansas ffs. The closest one is about 5-5.5 hours long or a little less at night.

Ah yes, back when Fry's was something too you had a choice of two stores. Funny as it sounds I think my Q9550 was from there as well.
I grew up in LA and had the OG Manhattan Beach Fry's and later the Burbank Fry's came up. Much more conveniant. Moved out when I was 18 and landed in Dallas when I was 26. Then I had Fry's and Microcenter. It was awesome, for a while until Fry's started sucking wind.

Any chance we'd see this go back down to $275? I'll buy it immediately.

Any chance we'd see this go back down to $275? I'll buy it immediately.
I'd say it's a good chance, the "new price" is $298 as this gen is phased out. This was simply one of those opening salvos of price reductions to see if there is still much demand which is why it squeaked back up. Now when will it dip? who knows.

Keep an eye out for a used one. 4 out of 5 CPUs I buy (including my own 5800x) are/were used.
When will MicroCenter get off their ass and dominate the online world as well? I would accept a +10% over store for the time I need it.

Dropped back down to $270 with promo code on newegg today so I pulled the trigger. I guess my indecisiveness paid off and saved me $5 lol

Back