$500 6800XT now or wait?

mda

2[H]4U
Hello [H]! I currently game only at 1080p, and TBH haven't done a lot of gaming recently as well. I guess the thought of gaming with a higher end machine currently just tickles my fancy.

I run a 5900X + 6600XT setup at the moment and I am very tempted by the $500 6800XT deals on amazon. (Specifically, the MSI Trio). The $629 6950XT cards are tempting as well for the price point but not for the power consumption.

Seeing how everyone is moving price points up this generation, how sane is buying a 6800XT in 2023 for this price and for 1080p vs just upgrading next gen in what is expected to be 2025?

This is a speculation and discussion thread more than anything, so please feel free to bring out your opinions backed up by crystal balls etc ;)

Last edited:
There is yet to have any annoucement or even rumors of something that make the best deals on RDNA 2 a "bad" one imo

If you do not mind used, I would obviously take some look at your marketplace before (they seem to go around $410-$430, $499 for the fancy one, so not much better than the best deal outthere).

Otherwise the other usual question, is there a game you like and play right now that does not run that well ? If the answer is no, that can make pushing the purchase a bit further on easy (and I doubt there will be a new crypto so no buy now or it will be a mess later, it should get just better and better over time), but if the rumoured 7600 performance are spot on, you will probably not regret buying something right now, could be quite a wild before $500 for a new card give you say 30% more performance than a 6800xt, at 1440p that a 7900xt.

Last edited:
Yeah used is slightly cheaper around here, same price approximately as 3080s.

3070s seem to be going for $300 here used. That seems to be an option as well, but the upgrade from a 6600XT seems to be rather small at that point.

I'm not playing many AAA games at the moment nor things that don't push a framerate I don't like.

I'm hardly even gaming actually, hoping a AAA game will catch my fancy soon.

Also agree that it seems that it will be quite a bit longer until a $500 card will give more perf than a 6800XT :[
-- I guess you hit the nail on the head -- that kind of reasoning sums up my post.

Hello [H]! I currently game only at 1080p, and TBH haven't done a lot of gaming recently as well. I guess the thought of gaming with a higher end machine currently just tickles my fancy.

I run a 5900X + 6600XT setup at the moment and I am very tempted by the $500 6800XT deals on amazon. (Specifically, the MSI Trio). The $629 6950XT cards are tempting as well for the price point but not for the power consumption.

Seeing how everyone is moving price points up this generation, how sane is buying a 6800XT in 2023 for this price and for 1080p vs just upgrading next gen in what is expected to be 2025?

This is a speculation and discussion thread more than anything, so please feel free to bring out your opinions backed up by crystal balls etc ;)
I would suggest the 6950 XT - yes, the power consumption is exorbitantly high but that's how it is with AMD RDNA 2 - the flagship is a power hog. But, if staying in the same gen, I would move to the flagship - same with Nvidia - if your card was, for e.g. 3060/Ti - I would say get a used 3090. The higher tier AMD RDNA 2 cards are having some price reductions since vendors are probably trying to clear a bit of stock so that the only choice afterwards are RDNA 3 cards (my theory; probably others' too?).
I guess it's overkill for 1080p but that card is really solid for 1080p/1440p and you might upgrade resolutions at some point and the card will still be good - also, has 16gb VRAM, too.
Just my two cents, fwiw.

6800XT is the best value per CU of the entire 6000 series. It occupies the price slot the 4060ti is going to go into, and is much more powerful. That being said I'll sell you a barely used 6900XTXH for $500 lol

if all you plan to do is 1080p for the next few years and don't need stupid high frame rates since gaming isn't your primary use of the system i'd actually say save a little more money and go with the 6800 non XT which can be found between 400-420 dollars during sales though they're starting to get harder to find. the performance is really good at 1080p, it falls off a little at 1440p compared to the 6800XT but no where close to unplayable range in most games. if you can find the powercolor fighter, msi gaming, or asrock challenger models i'd go with either of those over the gigabyte(don't care so much for their cooler design).

Last edited:
Reactions: mda
like this
Unfortunately, I'm currently just thinking of holding on to my 6600XT for now. It seems like it will probably continue doing the job for the next 2 years at 1080p... TBH I really don't mind moving down to medium graphics for better smoothness.

Unfortunately, I'm currently just thinking of holding on to my 6600XT for now. It seems like it will probably continue doing the job for the next 2 years at 1080p... TBH I really don't mind moving down to medium graphics for better smoothness.
nothing wrong with that. who really knows whats going to happen over the next 6 months especially with the 6k series supply dwindling i have a feeling AMD's going to have to launch some mid range RDNA 3 cards soon(i'm thinking early july) and who knows how it'll effect pricing.

If you were budgeting $500-600 - you could probably find a 3080 or 3090 used - if you change your mind. So, yes, I think the choices would be: 1) staying put; 2) 6950 XT; 3) used 3080 12gb or 3090 - if you extend your budget. Some of the used cards might come down it price a bit depending on what happens with the next release of cards and if any of the current gen receive price reductions - unknown....

like this
Looks like the 4060/Ti cards are meh, and likely the 7600s are too :|

It seems like it will probably continue doing the job for the next 2 years at 1080p... TBH I really don't mind moving down to medium graphics for better smoothness.
If you're wiling to drop to medium, you'll get more than 2 more years out of that thing. Hodling is the right move.

like this
6800 xt will be faster than the 4060 ti at the same price. If you want lesser performance but dlss support and RT support then get a 4060 ti. If you want better raster performance probably by like 20-30 percent get a 6800 xt.

your're probably waiting another 1 or 1-1/2 year for new stuff to come out. It might be better but it might suck. I feel like $500 is kinda high for a 6800XT like maybe you should grab a 6950XT for $600 ?

6800XT is the best value per CU of the entire 6000 series. It occupies the price slot the 4060ti is going to go into, and is much more powerful. That being said I'll sell you a barely used 6900XTXH for $500 lol
This post didn't age well. 4060Ti is a 3060Ti, lol. Though the 6900XTXH is still a good upper mid-range card at this point. Still would recommend 6900/6950XT's at this point.

This post didn't age well. 4060Ti is a 3060Ti, lol. Though the 6900XTXH is still a good upper mid-range card at this point. Still would recommend 6900/6950XT's at this point.

I have no idea what you mean, for the same price the 6800XT is like 25% faster.

I have no idea what you mean, for the same price the 6800XT is like 25% faster.
The problem with quoting a long quote without chopping it up is getting misunderstood.

Basically it was a: “the 4060Ti is garbage” response (due to it being the same speed or slower than a 3060Ti). Not anything necessarily related to the value proposition of AMD last gen cards. I would agree that currently for “upper midrange” AMD is the way to go if you must buy a new card.

Last edited:
Back