4TB Samsung 870 SSD or cheapest 4TB m.2 drive?

FM 3370

Gawd
My 1TB SSD is filling up and do not know much about the m.2 real world performance to justify the bigger cost. Thanks in advance.

My 1TB SSD is filling up and do not know much about the m.2 real world performance to justify the bigger cost. Thanks in advance.

By m.2, do you really mean NVMe? Because m.2 can be either that or SATA for storage. m.2 is a physical form-factor, not a protocol.

An m.2 SATA SSD will perform the same as a like make/model 2.5" unit, and the cost will usually be about the same. An m.2 NVMe SSD will have much higher transfer speeds (which may or may not matter depending on the applications using it), and will probably cost more relative to a like-capacity SATA SSD.

By m.2, do you really mean NVMe? Because m.2 can be either that or SATA for storage. m.2 is a physical form-factor, not a protocol.

An m.2 SATA SSD will perform the same as a like make/model 2.5" unit, and the cost will usually be about the same. An m.2 NVMe SSD will have much higher transfer speeds (which may or may not matter depending on the applications using it), and will probably cost more relative to a like-capacity SATA SSD.

Actually, ( M.2 Solid State Drive (SSD) / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 4, 32Gb/s ) ..... is what my board supports.

I mainly edit pictures in Adobe Photoshop and run VMWare Workstation VMs at times. In this case I want to make sure the OS drive is not a performance bottleneck. Also not sure if my computer will "feel" faster with the m.2 PCIe SSD over the Samsung 870. I never thought much of the m.2 slot until recently. thank you.

I ended up getting the SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe and a Western Digital 18TB Ultrastar DC HC550 (0F38459) to upgrade my storage. Thanks for the input!

Back