4790K 4.7 @ 1.268~1.3 or is 4.8 @ 1.316~1.35 vcore safe for 24/7 use?

4.8ghz daily at 1.362?

Votes: 3 30.0%

Votes: 6 60.0%

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Good Guru

n00b
I have set in the bios 1.268 for 4.7 and 1.316 for 4.8 these are the minimum stable voltages. The motherboard I have Asus z97 pro wifi-ac gives a bit more at 1.3 and 1.35 respectively. Temperatures I can keep under 90c (throttle temp) in stress test. The cpu is delidded and using liquid metal on a custom watercooling loop with 480mm of radiator.

max temp 79 in prime small AVX+FMA AT 4.7
max temp 87 at 4.8 same test.

In gaming max temp is, maybe ~70-75 max at 4.8.

Would you keep it at 4.8 1.35 if it were your cpu?

Last edited:
I would take 4.7ghz for daily to preserve the vcore.
Also you'll not notice 0.1ghz difference when you use it daily.

I currently have it at 1.316v in bios for 4.8 ghz. I was able to reach stability at 1.316~1.35. It will do 4.9 at 1.365v stable. These would be 1.35 vcore @4.8 and 1.399 vcore @4.9.

As long as your are cooling it, 1.4v is nothing.

Reactions: Down8
like this
either one is good. I had a 4770k that I bought used from this forum and it couldn't do better than 4.2Ghz.
Your temps look good so I would run 4.8 unless that vcore is at a level to cause degradation. I don't remember much about overclocking those haswell chips.

What about running it at 4.7 and not worrying?
With a good bin of 4790K, 4.7 is soooo noobish level, it hurts just to talk about it, hehehe :D

I ran an almost identical setup as the OP's at 4.95/1.385v for several years neveranottaproblemo...

Speaking from experience I used to overclock everything and P95 for 3+hours to ensure everything was stable. After many years of running stable eventually the chip would become unstable at the overclocked speeds resulting in random crashes.

In the last 10 years had 2 GPUs and 2 CPUs completely die on me. One CPU was a slow and steady death where it wasn't stable at even stock speeds and then just died. Just know that you do risk reducing the lifespan of the CPU/GPU overclocking even with good temps.

If you're not fussed about keeping your CPU for ten plus years then by all means overclock. Its definitely worth it when you can get a decent bump. I'm keeping my 4790K stock cause I'm not [H] like you guys anymore

The key issues are not to overvolt AND not run too hot, that simple.
If you stick within recommended voltage and keep below 75C for example, you should have no problems. Heat is the biggest killer at safe voltage.
(Assuming the chip hasnt been beasted already!)

It was suggested back in the day, the absolute max is 1.35V on air, 1.5v on water.
Thats clearly temperature dependent so if you cant keep temps below 75C I wouldnt go over 1.35V running 24/7 on an old chip.

Speaking from experience I used to overclock everything and P95 for 3+hours to ensure everything was stable. After many years of running stable eventually the chip would become unstable at the overclocked speeds resulting in random crashes.

In the last 10 years had 2 GPUs and 2 CPUs completely die on me. One CPU was a slow and steady death where it wasn't stable at even stock speeds and then just died. Just know that you do risk reducing the lifespan of the CPU/GPU overclocking even with good temps.

If you're not fussed about keeping your CPU for ten plus years then by all means overclock. Its definitely worth it when you can get a decent bump. I'm keeping my 4790K stock cause I'm not [H] like you guys anymore

Yeah, too much voltage will definitely shorten lifespan considerably. I had a QX9770 that toward the end was needing something like 1.6v just to be stable at stock speeds. So, it really just depends on how long you want it to last. These days, I tend to err on the side of lower voltage versus squeezing that last tiny bit of performance out. Hardware lasts a lot longer, heh.

Reactions: psy81
like this
I've had this 4790k running at 4.7 for a few years, admittedly mostly for light general use plus some gaming, video editing and rendering.
My case is an FT02 and the cooler is a Noctua NH15, which accounts for temps staying very low, I've only seen it hit 80 a few times under extreme loads or when benchmarking with Cinebench.

It does get loud with the 3x180 fans plus the Noctuas, but I tend to wear headphones so that's never really an issue. I did get it up to 4.8 while playing around but there was always some instability, 4.7 is right for this PC and it seems very comfortable and highly stable, with no crashes.

A fantastic CPU that I'm finally going to replace, although I would like to do something with it, maybe a SFF media system for the workshop, give it a well earned and less stressful retirement.

Back