462 retro project, odd no POST...help

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
I have been looking for an NF2 based 462 board for a long time for a retro build. I have the 3200+ and an AGP 4850 to go with it.

Recently picked up a GA-7N400 pro2 rev.2 on the freebies thread and just got it on the bench today. The board has some pretty badly bulged caps but I wanted to check for POST before ordering the parts for a recap.

Board in minimal configuration on the bench pulses power to the fans and pwr LED as soon as the PSU is turned on. pwr switch causes fans and pwr LED full on but no beep no POST. 4 sec of pwr switch puts them back on pulse.

Next thing I was going to do was probe the waveform, duty cycle and frequency of the pulse with the scope but I have never seen this behavior before, despite having seen many no POST boards over the years.

Anybody seen anything like this before? I am tempted to go ahead and order the caps and hope for the best but I figured I would ask here and see if anyone has a clue.

Thanks for reading!

Pretty obvious and you have already checked but just in case:-

Anything shorting out the board? any crap in the socket or on the cpu pins? Any damage to the power plug(s) on the mobo? burnt trace on the board?

funny enough I've just brought my 462 back to life, needed a new hdd, then the mobo went but she's back. Damn thing boots xp a lot faster than my daily driver boots win7

Going over it under the microscope inch by inch, haven't seen any obvious trauma or fire yet

tried 2 CPUs so far, have NOT risked the 3200+, can't update BIOS if I can't get it to POST

CMOS CR2032 was dead, replacing that did not help

Afternoon,

I have that other socket A board. I'll mail it to you, if you want it for parts; on me. I know a project of love when I see one:)

Stay Frosty,
Spenser

BIOS battery good? I recently had that problem with board that wouldn't post

Not necessary Emmanon, I have other operating 462 boards, what I am really wanting is the NF2 chipset with its DDR support and the earliest SATA and USB2 implementations, thanks though.

radgoos, as noted above, yes I did replace the dead CR2032

As luck would have it I got the scope all set up to image the anomalous waveform at the fans and LED in the power down state and now the board exhibits "normal" no POST behavior, fans but no beep when powered on and inert in the off state...

and here I was hoping to impress you all with my oscilloscope-fu

No, I need a socket A motherboard with the nVidia NF2 chipset. The most sought after example is the DFI lanparty ultra B, followed rather closely by the Abit NF7-s2, both of which have become rather difficult to find in working order.

This GA-7N400 is one of the only other boards I know of that support 400MHz DDR, SATA and USB2 on socket A

Yes, and the chipset is not something you can move from board to board, I need to find one of the few that were manufactured with it, sorry if I have not been explaining well.

Back