43" monitor for programming

thangalin

n00b
Been hunting for a 43" display and was hoping for some further direction. Here are requirements:
  • No IPS glow (see smearing image, below)
  • Matte finish (not glossy)
  • VESA 200x200 or 100x100 (not 200x100)
  • Viewing angle with little color shift (no washed out colours when viewed from 18 inches away)
  • KVM compatible (no funky refreshing/static when using IO Gear KVM switch)
  • Centered cabling (must be in the middle of the back, not along the sides)
  • Flat (not curved)
  • 4K 16:9 aspect ratio (3840 × 2160)
  • DisplayPort 1.2 (or 1.4)
  • Usable for desktop publishing (good colour accuracy)
  • One-press power on/off (no joystick, but not a hard requirement)
Here are monitors I've tried or researched along with the reason they are unsuitable:
  • AORUS FV43U (glossy finish, plugs on opposite sides for cabling, arrived with dead pixels, KVM issues)
  • HP Z43 (no longer sold)
  • Samsung (curved or "surveillance features" [e.g., voice activation])
  • Phillips BDM4350UC (glossy finish)
  • ViewSonic VX4381-4K (VESA 200x100)
  • Dell UltraSharp U4320Q (IPS glow/smearing)
  • LG 43UN700-B (IPS glow/smearing)
  • Acer Predator CG7 (VESA 200x100)
Here are monitors I'm considering:
  • Acer DM431K
  • Acer ET430K
  • ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ
  • Wasabi Mango
Any recommendations or monitors that I've missed?

I've read that the LG and Dell displays both use the same IPS panel and that pretty much all IPS panels have the problem shown. You can see that the white window is "projecting" a translucent glow above the window, which follows the window.

smearing.jpg

Last edited:
Why exactly 43"?

Physical limitations constrain the maximum size of the monitor. I was using a 30" monitor, as shown below. The photo is a little dated because I've since modified the desk for standing use only: both a keyboard tray and the monitor are now affixed to the post using extensible and rotatable arms. (Specifically, the SpaceArm Keyboard Radius Platform SA01RP and SA01XP.) The keyboard tray in the image is no longer used.

With my work, I cannot effectively use the 30" monitor and the laptop monitor sitting on the desk. The laptop monitor is hard to see, and I want to hide it in the desk. For my work, I run an IDE in a Linux VM on a Windows host OS (not my choice). In addition, I need enough screen real-estate for Outlook and Teams (also not my choice). The only way to fit the IDE/VM, Teams, Outlook, and a text editor for notes on the same screen simultaneously is to go big. (Not looking for software solutions.)

A 43" monitor solves all these problems plus a few more. If not for the bleeding issue, the Dell would have been nearly perfect. A bit bigger would be fine (like 44" or 45"), but it must have a 16:9 aspect ratio.

5zgvh.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a writer and have been using a 43" Samsung Q60R 4K TV since 2019 for all my work (writing, editing, etc.). It handles text beautifully. I have it on a monitor arm with the TV resting on my desk. Here's an older photo of it...

249920_q60r.jpg

I'd go with the Sony X85J 43" if buying today. Amazon has it for $598. It's usually around $750.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm a writer and have been using a 43" Samsung Q60R 4K TV since 2019 for all my work (writing, editing, etc.). It handles text beautifully. I have it on a monitor arm with the TV resting on my desk. Here's an older photo of it...
That's a sweet setup! Coincidentally, another reason I'm seeking more screen real-estate is to implement a text editor that helps writing novels. Not looking for a TV at the moment, though the ones you mentioned are stunning. Thank you!

I recently settled on a Sony X800E for similar purposes. I've no idea if it fits your long list of specifications, but with the exception of BGR pixel layout, it's one of the best IPS panels in this size I've seen. Brightness, color gamut, and linearity are all excellent.

Thanks all! Went with an ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ. The quality is exceptional, superior in every way to the previous monitors:
  • Great colour quality.
  • No dead pixels, bleeding, or oddly light regions.
  • Good cable management, neat and tidy, located in one place.
  • One-push button to power off and power on.
  • Works with the IOGEAR 2-Port DisplayPort KVM (GCS62DP) ... 60Hz is fine.
    • Using a KVM switch required setting DisplayPort 1.2 mode (defaults to DisplayPort 1.4).
  • Ability to turn off all external lights (e.g., power indicator).
There are a few minor issues:
  • Slight discolouration when close-up (due to being a VA panel)
  • BGR instead of RGB, easily fixed with ClearType on Windows and updating XFCE display settings
  • 3-foot DC-IN cable, which is about 6 feet too short
The AC/DC adapter sports a 6.0 x 3.7mm plug, shown in the following picture:

brick.jpg

My guess is that the cable is this one:

cable.jpg

I've been searching for a way to extend it, or find a charger with a 9-foot DC-IN cable.

Any ideas? (Using a longer power cable won't help because the DC-IN cable needs to feed through the metal post shown previously.)

Last edited:
Why not extend the AC end? Taking apart the adapter or messing with a dc extender seems like a lot of hassle and risk when AC extension cords are common and safe.

Why not extend the AC end? Taking apart the adapter or messing with a dc extender seems like a lot of hassle and risk when AC extension cords are common and safe.
When I wrote that, "using a longer power cable won't help because the DC-IN cable needs to feed through the metal post shown previously," perhaps a picture will say more. The distance along the green line in the following picture is more than three feet long; whereas the blue line distance is three feet long. My objective is to hide the cabling in the post. (Mounting the brick on the back of the monitor isn't viable. The brick is usually fully on the desk, I moved it onto the edge to show the length of the DC-IN cable for the photo.)

desk-setup-compare.jpg

Extending the AC-side power cable is possible, but the brick still needs a home. The only place it could go---within reach of the monitor's power input---is mounted on the back of the monitor, which isn't an option. Hopefully the picture clears up why extending the AC cable won't address the problem.

I'm in talks with ASUS to see if they have any solutions, as well.

Last edited:
Back