42" OLED MASTER THREAD

being too lazy to start another thread, w/ screen as big as 42" to 48", surely we can handle 8K resolution. How many more yr. do we have to wait for either a 6K or 8K monitor? I have been using 4K for 6 yr. If it were a PC, it would be consider as obsolete

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
being too lazy to start another thread, w/ screen as big as 42" to 48", surely we can handle 8K resolution. How many more yr. do we have to wait for either a 6K or 8K monitor? I have been using 4K for 6 yr. If it were a PC, it would be consider as obsolete
Less alcohol dude.

being too lazy to start another thread, w/ screen as big as 42" to 48", surely we can handle 8K resolution. How many more yr. do we have to wait for either a 6K or 8K monitor? I have been using 4K for 6 yr. If it were a PC, it would be consider as obsolete.

A segment of people used 4k pretty early but it was at 30Hz originally, especially since nvidia pulled a generation gap on hdmi versions keeping the 900 series at 30hz 4k. They tend to do that, did it again with hdmi 2.1 vrr , and now with dp 2.1

But anyway, 4k 30hz imo wasn't a valid, mature usage scenario for pc use (outside of 24fps movies/media), in general but especially for gaming. So if you are counting that in your timeline it's being a bit disingenous imo.

4k 60hz was ok for pc use and has been around for awhile but it wasn't until we got 120hz VRR on (more than one) 4k screens that was it really matured as a pc gaming screen. The gpu power wasn't really there either until the last 2 gens for demanding games.

I get the frustration but a lot of people in these threads are pushing the early adoption edge. People want more advances on oleds too but a lot of the pc gaming population is probably just getting around to adopting OLED as a gaming screen in the first place in 2023-24. I'd love a 48" to 55" 1000R curved 8k oled someday. Especially as frame amplification tech matures, and perhaps they'd eventually even put AI upscaling tech in the screens themselves to bypass the port/bandwidth bottleneck (e.g. pass 4k high Hz signal, maybe even using dsc, to the 8k screen where it's AI upscaled to 8k instead of passing an upscaled to 8k signal to the 8k screen bandwidth wise). Not holding my breath on that but things will move on in the long run.

I get the frustration but a lot of people in these threads are pushing the early adoption edge. People want more advances on oleds too but a lot of the pc gaming population is probably just getting around to adopting OLED as a gaming screen in the first place in 2023-24. I'd love a 48" to 55" 1000R curved 8k oled someday. Especially as frame amplification tech matures, and perhaps they'd eventually even put AI upscaling tech in the screens themselves to bypass the port/bandwidth bottleneck (e.g. pass 4k high Hz signal, maybe even using dsc, to the 8k screen where it's AI upscaled to 8k instead of passing an upscaled to 8k signal to the 8k screen bandwidth wise). Not holding my breath on that but things will move on in the long run.
Totally agree. I would love a reasonably sized 8K curved display for desktop use, like give me a slightly smaller Samsung ARK at 8K and I'm interested.

I don't really care about 8K for gaming as I feel it's way too diminishing returns. Something between 1440p and 4K with AI upscaling does more than good enough job.

how many yr. is your Asus? is there a UPS connects to it? And did you run it at the standard vertical frequency ?

2018-19 ish. Basically, it had a mind of its own with the fan and it acted like it was overheating even though it wasn't. Louder... louder... louder... and then shut itself off. I went through everything...and I do mean everything... and finally I simply could not retrieve it back to normal. I even had it where it wouldn't even turn back on at all like a brick.

The sad thing is: This was a replacement Asus had sent me after having the vertical line issue show up on the original. What annoyed me was this was a refurb they sent me. It was a lengthy process and the vertical line had shown up on me barely a year into owning it. I know some people swear by refurbs but this was not one of those times.

This is all warranty. So I traded out the vertical line issue for the "rogue fan/brain/overheating" issue and it finally ran out of gas.

It's probably bad luck but I have to admit I'm a little wary of pulling the trigger on another Asus monitor at this point.

Last edited:
that's quite a coincidence. Because I have the same problem a no. of yr. ago. I bought a dual CPU motherboard from Asus that failed under warranty. They sent me a refurbish. and it also does not last. Perhaps I should wait until every brand has a OLED. I like Viewsonic. But I wonder when will they have OLED 4K

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
At this point what's this story (at least for LG) on this WBC vs WBE panel issue, if any?

I bought my 48in C2 about a month ago. I have an OLED EX Panel in mine. https://www.whathifi.com/news/all-oled-tv-panels-now-being-produced-are-upgraded-oled-ex-versions I don't have the wbc or wbe panel. Running better clear type tuner is way better than the mactype program for fonts on the C2.

Hope I can answer any questions. Def buy the service remote for 8 bucks on amazon. Well worth it. You don't want wbc or wbe...you want OLED EX.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-Di...anels-for-future-OLED-Smart-TVs.671226.0.html

like this
Totally agree. I would love a reasonably sized 8K curved display for desktop use, like give me a slightly smaller Samsung ARK at 8K and I'm interested.

I don't really care about 8K for gaming as I feel it's way too diminishing returns. Something between 1440p and 4K with AI upscaling does more than good enough job.

Sure, 8k native would not be worth it at low Hz or at very low fps compared to running high fpsHz on a decently high Hz 4k screen.

. . but if you were using a 1000R 8k you might as well use ai upscaling on it to 8k for some games since high tier gpus can run 4k resolutions pretty well now on some games. (You could also run 32:10 the full screen width at 7680x2400 scaled up from 3840x1200, or any number of somewhat smaller than 8k resolutions 1:1 on that wall of screen).

. . If they ever started to put AI upscaling hardware on the display itself on some gaming screens it would allow you to send your regular 4k rez game at high fpsHz unscaled (within the bandwidth limits of the port and cable) to the screen where the screen would AI upscale it to 8k (beyond the bandwidth of the port and cable). The higher hz of higher rez screens increases the bandwidth requirement by a lot. Not saying that built into screen AI hardware upscaling chip tech would happen but it would be great if it could be done with low latency like using a g-sync chip on a display.

. . If nvidia / PC frame amplification tech advances (including game development and peripherals broadcasting vectors hopefully in the long run for more a more informed method more like what VR is doing) you could potentially get 2x the framerate even after AI upscaling was applied, or more if the tech advanced enough.

GPU power will also advance in the following generations but I think frame amplification tech should advance too.

That's all pushing the tech timeline ahead some though. Cart before the horse at this point a bit. Still something to look forward to.

I don't really care about 8K for gaming as I feel it's way too diminishing returns.

I get that and it makes sense currently - but people said the same thing about 1440p vs 1080p with aggressive AA and higher graphics settings breathing room at the time, and then 4k vs 1440p with aggressive AA and higher graphics settings breathing room at the time. 1440p was the sweet spot for quite some time but 4k gaming has ripened a lot more presently so that isn't necessarily the case anymore, at least with a powerful gpu.

It makes sense to snub the higher resolution early in each shift when your fpsHz and/or peak settings are significantly lower due to the higher resolution. But with the maturation of AI upscaling and frame amplification over the next few gens of gpus after the 4000 series, along with the higher gpu power, I think we'll make a pretty big leap. We are skipping ahead in the story a little here for sure, about 8k gaming . . I'd never bother with playing 4k at 30hz back in those days for example but I'd definitely adopt 8k on some games if enough of those advancements came into play adequately enough for some decent fpsHz rates, and more as gpu and tech gens advanced over the ongoing years.

With a sufficiently large 8k screen you could run a 4k, 5k, 6k 16:9/16:10 or whatever uw resolutions on it without filling the whole screen when desired anyway, using it more like a multi-monitor setup of tiles when you wanted to. 8k screens could potentially allow higher Hz at lower resolutions than the peak of the 8k screen at 8k rez, just like some 4k screens at 60hz allowed 1080p and 1440p at 120hz. Would be great if they released one that did 8k 120hz (even if using DSC, or maybe AI upscaling hardware on the screen end?) and 240hz when dropping to 4k.

Alternately, yeah you could do a (1000R curve hopefully) big 8k of quads of 4k screen real-estate mostly for desktop/apps and some games and put a big ultrawide gaming display beneath it or something for different options and higher fpsHz for some games but that would be a pretty expensive setup. Even with the option of either of those screens in the same setup, I think the full screen experience on a 48" - 55" uw would drag me in. The ark's dimensions were pretty great but it's PPD is a little too low for me (~ 62 PPD at the radius or focal point of the curve), plus it's not OLED and it has a bunch of technical failings that missed the mark besides. A large 1000R 8k OLED would be way better if one ever gets made. 48" oled with G9 ultwawide beneath it

. . . .

Example here of a 55" 8k screen with quads of ~ 27" 4k shown for sizing reference, then a 36" display space set up within it.

I didn't do the math or count pixels but I figure the 36" display space here (screen #5) would end up being around 4800 x 2700 resolution at 1:1 pixel rather than a 4k at 3840x2160.

You could also run the bottom two across at 7680 x 2160 leaving two full 4k screen resolution spaces on top
(or run the bottom at a proper 7680 x 2400 for 32:10 cutting 240px of height off of the top 4k areas down to x 1920 high).

Top end gpus in the 5000, 6000 series that will probably be out around the time some 8k gaming screens are a thing should be able to drive a lot of these resolutions with the increased gpu power and hopefully along with more matured pc frame amplification tech.

Un4c9kF.png

If running windowed mode game you could still have some stuff running in the remaining space as long as that didn't compromise the max fpsHz of the screen, AI upscaling, frame amplification tech, etc. That might run better "full screen" exclusive but at 1:1 pixel with the rest of the screen black while running the game so it might depend on the game and tech you were using on it. If they had a true multi input capability for the display, unlike the ark, it would give you a lot more options hooking up a 2nd pc or laptop, console, tablet, nvidia shield, etc to utilize the remaining screen space outside of multi-tasking on your main gaming rig.

Last edited:
I bought my 48in C2 about a month ago. I have an OLED EX Panel in mine. https://www.whathifi.com/news/all-oled-tv-panels-now-being-produced-are-upgraded-oled-ex-versions I don't have the wbc or wbe panel. Running better clear type tuner is way better than the mactype program for fonts on the C2.

Hope I can answer any questions. Def buy the service remote for 8 bucks on amazon. Well worth it. You don't want wbc or wbe...you want OLED EX.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-Di...anels-for-future-OLED-Smart-TVs.671226.0.html

I will definitely get that service remote if I get any of these LG sets. I can either get a C2 now or it looks like the C3 is coming as soon as next month. I definitely want the EX panel if I have any control over that. 42 is as big as I can go.

Interesting. I still think most of the text fringing issues/questions/complaints are due to sitting too close, low PPD. At least with 4k screens, 1440p screens are low PPD to begin with even at optimal viewing angles.

Text-SS and game anti-aliasing are just masking how bad the pixel sizes appear to your perspective. When you sit too close (or have a low rez screen vs optimal viewing angle) they are unable to compensate well enough. When you sit farther getting higher PPD, (or use a smaller screen with a high resolution) - artifacts like text fringing, graphics aliasing, pentile, non-rgb, frame insertion edge artifacts, etc. will be less pronounced or completely unnoticeable with high enough PPD.

My previous laptop was a 15.6" 4k pentile asus touchscreen and it looked great. However it was 93 PPD at 18" / 1.5' view distance, and 122PPD whenever I used it as a side screen at 24" / 2'.

At the human 50 to 60 degree viewing angle, all 4k screens of any size are around 64PPD at 60deg and 77 PPD at 50 deg.

So if you are set up properly especially if getting 70PPD+ I think you'll be fine on most of these screen types. Sitting at optimal viewing angle will also prevent side panels worth of screen space from being pushed outside of your viewpoint and will keep the off-axis color uniformity issue from growing larger.

42" 4k and 48" 4k optimal view distances (the 24" view distance in the example is too close as a comparison, with low PPD and poor viewing angle):
tJWvzHy.png

You end up doing this kind of thing when you sit too close (as well as driving your PPD down):

optimal view distance (The outside viewer is the same amount of degrees off axis from the sides of the screen as the central viewer is).
XvKRu9t.png

Sitting too close. (The outside viewer is the same amount of degrees off axis from the sides of the screen as the central viewer is).
RUdpoK8.png

Human viewing angle:
3kU3adt.png

It's when people try to stuff a 42" - 48" - 55" screen on a (desk instead of mounting it separately at a more optimal distance) that they end up getting 1500p-like PPD or worse so the pixel grid appears too large. Then they try to squeeze as much masking/compensation out of text-ss and AA as possible to hide the ugliness. The 2D desktop's graphics and imagery typically remain uncompensated for entirely too since it gets no sub-sampling or game AA - so that will look even worse.

Also worth mentioning that AG/matte screen surface treatments can also affect text clarity and how clear pixels/subpixels appear in general.

798439_d3047e25cf1e8c6b2679bd7aeaf8a0b7612859e4_480x480.png

798444_magnified_text.jpg

Last edited:

I think you’re getting this muddled up. OLED EX is the same thing as WBE, the terms are interchangeable for the newer generation of OLED panels. WBC is the older gen.

Newer WBE panels have a higher peak brightness but ONLY on the larger screen sizes, and has no difference on the 42” model being discussed here. There’s no real reason to want or need one over the other with the 42” model, and in fact some arguments that the WBC is sometimes better.

More info here https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg-oled-42c2#OLED-Evo-WBE-vs-WBC-panels-and-does-it-matter

A segment of people used 4k pretty early but it was at 30Hz originally, especially since nvidia pulled a generation gap on hdmi versions keeping the 900 series at 30hz 4k. They tend to do that, did it again with hdmi 2.1 vrr , and now with dp 2.1

But anyway, 4k 30hz imo wasn't a valid, mature usage scenario for pc use (outside of 24fps movies/media), in general but especially for gaming. So if you are counting that in your timeline it's being a bit disingenous imo.
I've been using a seiki 39" 4k 30hz monitor since 2013. The measly refresh rate hasn't really bothered me in all that time. I don't do much gaming, and what I do isn't terribly fast-paced where refresh makes any kind of difference.

Every year or so I come here to see if there's a viable/worthwhile upgrade on the market for less than double what I paid for the seiki, and so far, there still isn't. Until there is, I'm perfectly happy with 30Hz.

I've been using a seiki 39" 4k 30hz monitor since 2013. The measly refresh rate hasn't really bothered me in all that time. I don't do much gaming, and what I do isn't terribly fast-paced where refresh makes any kind of difference.

Every year or so I come here to see if there's a viable/worthwhile upgrade on the market for less than double what I paid for the seiki, and so far, there still isn't. Until there is, I'm perfectly happy with 30Hz.
30Hz? Oof. Not only oof, but ouch.

Alright, I'll bite. What does the Seiki from 2013 do that no other display from the last 10 years can't do without being double the price or more? You running that thing on Windows 7, too? :p

30Hz? Oof. Not only oof, but ouch.

Alright, I'll bite. What does the Seiki from 2013 do that no other display from the last 10 years can't do without being double the price or more? You running that thing on Windows 7, too? :p
The question isn't "what does the sekei do that's better than a newer panel", the question is "what does a new panel do that's better than the seiki". And other than refresh rate, the answer is nothing. Obviously if the seiki died, I wouldn't buy another one (even if they hadn't been out of production for like 8 years). But there's nothing about new panels that is better enough to justify spending $900+ on one vs sticking with what I got. I will say that the seiki has a fantastic S-MVA panel with proper RGB subpixels, which is absolutely beautiful for text and productivity work on a desktop. That accounts for 90% of my use-case. It is pretty unique for big 4k panels in that regard, and was desirable enough that some dude was making and selling replacement mainboards that upgraded it to 60hz a few years ago. I probably should have snagged one back then, but the refresh upgrade didn't feel like it was worth ~$300 worth of upgrades.

Maybe my eyes are just different, but I honestly don't understand the fetishization of frame rates. At no point in the last decade has the 30hz limit on my seiki been "a problem". I can see it when gaming, but only if I actively make an effort to see it. It's certainly not an issue that detracts from the experience in any way. Honestly, I believe anybody who claims that they can see the difference in anything above 60hz is lying the same way that "audiophiles" claim they can hear the difference between $40 cables and $400 cables. It's placebo reinforced with investment bias. Comparing the seiki to the 42" TCL I use in my office, the refresh is visually indistinguishable. What is painfully obvious though is the weak contrast and shitty subpixels that make text fuzzy and rainbow-edged (even after as much tweaking as win10 allows) on the TCL compared to the crisp text on the seiki.

Maybe OLED will finally produce a similar experience. Hopefully they'll be cheap enough to make the purchase worthwhile sometime soon. But the seiki has been going great for a decade, and it's still got some life left in it.

Last edited:
Maybe my eyes are just different, but I honestly don't understand the fetishization of frame rates. At no point in the last decade has the 30hz limit on my seiki been "a problem". I can see it when gaming, but only if I actively make an effort to see it. It's certainly not an issue that detracts from the experience in any way. Honestly, I believe anybody who claims that they can see the difference in anything above 60hz is lying the same way that "audiophiles" claim they can hear the difference between $40 cables and $400 cables.
That's a hot take if I've ever seen one. 30 to 60 Hz is probably the most dramatic difference, followed by 60 to 120 Hz. Last time I had to actually use 30 Hz on a desktop setup was a stupid thin client setup at one of my clients. I had to ask for a dedicated laptop in no more than a day them because I got horrible headaches trying to use the 30 Hz shit.

I was just going to set my 165Hz laptop to 30Hz just to remind myself but I forgot that it won't even allow me to set it below 60 lol.

30Hz would be too rough on the flicker/stutter-like redraw speed. I agree that could cause eyestrain and a headache in extended use, at least for me.

For pure desktop use it's not as big of a deal for me to have 60Hz side screens though. 60hz, 6100:1 contrast 4k VA nu6900 samsungs specifically. However I use a stream deck with a lot of custom button icons to move app windows around and resize them on the fly, or hit one button to shuffle apps back to a saved global window position profile, etc. In that manner I almost never have to drag a window or resize a window ever anymore. The only appreciable difference the Hz would make to me would be for scrolling (if the app's scrolling played nice with high Hz for an appreciably smoother result), and the smoothness of dragging the mouse pointer itself around. I don't even use the mouse to focus each app anymore to input text either though. I can just hit the app's streamdeck button to focus it and start typing. It can even be set up to warp the mouse to whever you want when you click each button which is useful in large multi 4k monitor arrays (e.g. warp the mouse to the app or screen's button you clicked on, or to the generic window location the button is moving the focused app to). I mainly use my 48" oled as a media and gaming stage so any media that might be over 60fps can be used on that instead. I do run media windows (youtube, twitch, etc.) on the sides screens at times amongst other app windows while gaming but they aren't over 60fpsHz anyway and most of that kind of stuff's content isn't HDR either. That and a web browser and a few other things, chat/text apps, etc.

In the long run my multi monitor layout might change with a new primary monitor and at that point I may have higher than 60hz 2nd screen but it the 60hz will only be retired when the whole layout changes enough to make it necessary. Thinking about an over-under setup I might do someday if the right gaming tv/gaming monitor comes along. My phone, tablet, and laptop are all 120hz - 165hz already though.

. . . .

High end reference screens like the $30k usd eizo coloredge cg3146 are still 60hz so for apps and post production movie editing 60Hz still seems fine to use.

I think this ~ $30k usd sony is as well:

https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/broadcastpromonitors/bvm-hx310#ProductSpecificationsBlock-bvm-hx310

. .

And regarding PPD in the previous comment flow, those are both ~ 31" 4k screens so when viewed at the 50 to 60 deg human viewing angle:

64 PPD = 60 deg viewing angle = ~ 23" view distance screen surface to eyballs.

77 PPD = 50 deg viewing angle = 29" view distance screen surface to eyeballs

So they are much better dimensions for use at a desk while not being too small at 31" diagonal.

42", 48", 55" 4k is just too big for being on a desk you sit at without losing quality (outside of a few garganuan sized corner desks being used at the long diagonal of the desk perhaps).

like this
42", 48", 55" 4k is just too big for being on a desk you sit at without losing quality (outside of a few garganuan sized corner desks being used at the long diagonal of the desk perhaps).
I have a 39" panel for personal use and a 42" panel for work. I sit at just over arms-length from both. There is certainly no "loss in quality".

People have been using multi-monitor setups for ages. The DPI of a 42" 4k monitor is identical to a 21" 1080p monitor. The overall effect of a 42" 4k panel is identical to having four 21" 1080p monitors in a 2x2 grid, but obviously without bezels. Is anybody going to claim that a 21" 1080p monitor is "inappropriate" for desktop use at desktop distances? Of course not.

I have a 39" panel for personal use and a 42" panel for work. I sit at just over arms-length from both. There is certainly no "loss in quality".

People have been using multi-monitor setups for ages. The DPI of a 42" 4k monitor is identical to a 21" 1080p monitor. The overall effect of a 42" 4k panel is identical to having four 21" 1080p monitors in a 2x2 grid, but obviously without bezels. Is anybody going to claim that a 21" 1080p monitor is "inappropriate" for desktop use at desktop distances? Of course not.
The difference is that those 4 1080p displays could be arranged a bit angled towards the viewer. The problem with most flat, large displays is the corners and sides. At least for me the 48" LG CX felt uncomfortable too close up. Had it been curved it would have worked better.

Does anyone else's LG C2 talk to them at night? When I go to bed it whispers to me, "all your gaming will be glorrrrriiouusss...don't worry about anyyyyyyyything"

Thought it was pretty cool that it did that.
Did it have a Korean accent?

Reactions: Gabe3
like this

Lets say "sub-optimal" , and yes inappropriate if you are expecting to or in order to get the full picture quality the 4k screen is capable of.

Compared to the fine pixels you'd expect from a 4k screen at the 50 to 60 deg human viewing angle, which gets 64 to 77PPD regardless of the 4k screen size
(e.g. a 27" 4k at ~ 20" view distance is 60 deg = ~64 PPD, a 27" 4k at ~ 23" view distance = ~ 70 PPD, 27" 4k at 25" view distance is 50 deg = ~ 77 PPD),
. . . . 1500p-like PPD (~52) or 1080p-like PPD (34) would be a huge downgrade yes. Clearly.

It's a huge loss in quality just like using a lower rez display's pixel sizes. Usable? sure. People used 27" 120hz 1080p screens and 144hz 1440p screens. That's not the point. The point is it is a downgrade compared to what a 4k screen is capable of at optimal viewing angles. Are you trying to say that using an even lower PPD screen space than you are using currently at the same viewing angle that you are using now wouldn't be a downgrade compared to the PPD you are using now? I'd strongly disagree.

. .

Compared to the optimal 50 to 60 degree viewing angle of a better size vs distance screen, putting a 42", 45" , 48" , 55" screen on a desk is definitely a downgrade viewing angle wise too.

You are pushing large panes of the sides of the screen outside of your viewpoint and like kasakka said, even if considered being like "multiple screens in a array without bezels", those areas on the sides of the screen are off-axis and making the areas of non-uniform color much larger areas on VA and OLED.

Pushing the sides away out of your human viewpoint is bad for most action games too. It's like you are on the midline in a tennis match in online games with HUD, notifications, pointers, readouts, chat, map, etc and also any of the action on the periphery being pushed out on the far ends and corners outside of your head-on human viewing angle. You end up like a chicken head.

optimal viewing angle
XvKRu9t.png

Sitting at a sub-optimal viewing angle causes tradoffs/downgrades. Large areas outside of your 50 to 60 deg human viewing angle, and larger non-uniform areas on OLED and VA (in addition to dropping the PPD).
RUdpoK8.png

. . . .

If you move any of these screens in the image below 25% to 50% closer to you than they are in this image (like moving the 32" to 39" view distance 42" 4k screen to the 24" view distance in the example), the display quality will absolutely drop in both PPD and viewing angle. Usable, yes, but sub 60 PPD you'd see a larger pixel structure so you'd see some more fringed pixels in general in text even after text-ss, and games even after aggressive AA is applied, and of course larger fringing in the the completely uncompensated for 2d desktop's graphics and imagery outside of fonts. It's like you are using a 1500p screen at that distance, pixel size wise, instead of a 4k one. You'd also push the sides of the screen outside of your viewpoint while creating a larger off axis area of pixels on each side of the screen (which on OLED and VA means larger areas of non-uniform color/shading).

tJWvzHy.png

Last edited:
It is all waaay overblown. I sit 35 inches from my 48in LG C2 and everything is fine. I am sure 4k on a 27inch monitor would be crisp and nice but man, pc gaming on a 48inch and general web use and comfort of the eyes outweigh any overblown negatives.

It is all waaay overblown. I sit 35 inches from my 48in LG C2 and everything is fine. I am sure 4k on a 27inch monitor would be crisp and nice but man, pc gaming on a 48inch and general web use and comfort of the eyes outweigh any overblown negatives.

If you look at the last image I posted, ~ 36 inch view distance is at a 60 deg viewing angle (~ 64 PPD) for a 48" 4k. The human viewing angle is 50 to 60 degrees. So since you are in the sweet spot range of human viewing angle and PPD for your screen already it's not surprising you like how it looks.

4k on a 27inch monitor would be crisp and nice

A 27" 4k screen at your ~60 degree viewing angle would have the exact same perceived pixel sizes and viewing angle. (Or a 27" 4k screen at a 50 degree viewing angle would have the exact same perceived pixel sizes and viewing angle if you were viewing your 48" screen at 50 degrees) That's the point. It's just as crisp and just as nice when viewing in the optimal viewing angle range of 50 to 60 degrees.

If it wasn't wrgb the lower range you could even get 60PPD at like 64 degrees for sitting a bit closer than 36" view distance, with a small bit of the edges of the screen outside of your viewpoint but I think wrgb benefits from a little higher, as high as you can manage.

I just pulled the trigger on a 42 C2. I will have to wait a little while because I need an old heavy tv removed and then I can put this in.

I appreciate all the help and advice in this thread for starters. I feel good about it all the way around and the price is excellent for something like this.

I understand how to handle OLED and my room is probably ideal for it. I will be using it as a PC monitor and for gaming along with home theater and will be setting up and taking appropriate steps.

I can always come up with excuses to wait but since my Asus 27 PGUK- whatever the hell kicked it I got forced back into the market so here I go.

I just pulled the trigger on a 42 C2. I will have to wait a little while because I need an old heavy tv removed and then I can put this in.

I appreciate all the help and advice in this thread for starters. I feel good about it all the way around and the price is excellent for something like this.

I understand how to handle OLED and my room is probably ideal for it. I will be using it as a PC monitor and for gaming along with home theater and will be setting up and taking appropriate steps.

I can always come up with excuses to wait but since my Asus 27 PGUK- whatever the hell kicked it I got forced back into the market so here I go.

Grab a folder and drop 4k wallpapers in it. Then set win 11 background to slideshow once per day or every 6 hours. Then auto hide the taskbar and have 0 dekstop icons. Doing this you'll have no burn in whatsoever. Really low maintenance and not the omg this sucks maintaining oleds for pixel burn in crowd. It is trivially easy to do.

Follow that and you'll have no burn in.

like this
I won't bomb too much of it here but I gathered some info about precautions in this other thread reply here: https://hardforum.com/threads/what-new-oled-gaming-monitors-in-2023.2024551/post-1045547989

Most of those suggestions jarablue gave are solid but I don't think the screensaver/slideshow thing is the best thing to do imo. It's not like a plasma where you are swirling phosphors around. You are better off just turning off the screen emitters when not giving the screen face time.

Re: "you won't get burn in" . . Probably not for a long time especially with some precautions since LG OLEDs reserve a top 25% brightness buffer for a wear-evening routine. You are always burning your emitters down slowly but faster the more you abuse the screen. The wear-evening routine will even out all of the emitters every time it runs, losing some of the buffer. You won't know how much buffer vs. burn in you have left until you burn down through it all and bottom out since there is no way to look that up in the OSD or even the service menu.

like this
Don't buy OLEDs. It's a toy for rich boyz that change there displays like gloves every 5 to 7 years.

Just a quick question:
Is here someone with a 42C2 with EX Panel
(Service Menu 08/50/1/03 = WBE Ex Panel)?

I mean: Are there even EX panels @42 inch?

I am not rich at all. And I come from poverty.

I just worked my ass off in life and earned it on my own. With God.

Just buy what makes you happy.
That is great. Though, my post was intended as sarcasm/joke. Rich boyz swap their displays much more frequently than once in 5-7 years........

Can we do an update:

What's the most recent lowest price that you people got on the Asus 42 or 48"?

also, after all these time, any problem such as something called "BURN IN" on your Asus OLED?

I am not rich at all. And I come from poverty.

I just worked my ass off in life and earned it on my own. With God.

Just buy what makes you happy.
Got my C2 42 on sale for $799. You could get an A2 for $549 at that time.

Yes to me it was obviously sarcasm but online it can be "Poe's Law". There can also be cultural differences in some forum members so they might not realize the nuances on the surface.

. . . .

The rich comments got me thinking a little though.

At one point you could get a 48" LG oled for like $750.

A PS5 disc version is like $500, + extra peripheral controller + $70, + games, etc it's not some huge gap even between those two.

Just comparing that because some people change their consoles every gen / every so many years and don't think anything of it.

Some people buy the next phone every gen or every other gen also. They can be $800 $1200 $1500.

Even just those two things might be changed more often than 4 to 5 years that you could get out of an oled with basic care, for comparison.

. .

Other people are heavy into audio hardware of different types.

Not to mention every other adult hobby from vehicles (new cars/trucks, upgrades and accessories for their cars/trucks, or boats, motorcycles, etc.). skiing, hunting and other sporting equipment, vacationing, camping, high end clothing (the regular kinds but also incl. things like what I personally consider a silly sneaker warehousing fetish lol), even dining out budgets and travel/gas/mileage (and car trade-in value depreciation). Tools while useful can be sort of like a hobby too and you can rack up a lot of pricey cool tools. Or for some people guns (and shooting, ammo expense). Jewelry for some people. Beauty products. Home improvement. Landscaping/gardening. Cooking and cookware, devices. Photography can be an expensive one too. Pets/animals can be expensive. Technically not a hobby but a lot of people blow considerable amount of money on booze weekly/monthly/yearly - especially out at bars and/or dining.

Think of all the hobbies and interests you might have seen at a book store magazine section back in the day or what is in advertisements. People dump money on lots of things, at least periodically, as long as they have a steady income and aren't in the hole. Doesn't mean they throw money into every interest though, and it doesn't necessarily mean they are "rich" though that is relative. Some people devote a lot of their money toward raising children too obviously.

You don't have to be that wealthy. It can just be what you are into, what you prioritize.

. . . .

He was definitely being sarcastic. Like he said, 5 to 7 years is a long time ;)

like this
Yes to me it was obviously sarcasm but online it can be "Poe's Law". There can also be cultural differences in some forum members so they might not realize the nuances on the surface.

. . . .

The rich comments got me thinking a little though.

At one point you could get a 48" LG oled for like $750.

A PS5 disc version is like $500, + extra peripheral controller + $70, + games, etc it's not some huge gap even between those two.

Just comparing that because some people change their consoles every gen / every so many years and don't think anything of it.

Some people buy the next phone every gen or every other gen also. They can be $800 $1200 $1500.

Even just those two things might be changed more often than 4 to 5 years that you could get out of an oled with basic care, for comparison.

. .

Other people are heavy into audio hardware of different types.

Not to mention every other adult hobby from vehicles (new cars/trucks, upgrades and accessories for their cars/trucks, or boats, motorcycles, etc.). skiing, hunting and other sporting equipment, vacationing, camping, high end clothing (the regular kinds but also incl. things like what I personally consider a silly sneaker warehousing fetish lol), even dining out budgets and travel/gas/mileage (and car trade-in value depreciation). Tools while useful can be sort of like a hobby too and you can rack up a lot of pricey cool tools. Or for some people guns (and shooting, ammo expense). Jewelry for some people. Beauty products. Home improvement. Landscaping/gardening. Cooking and cookware, devices. Photography can be an expensive one too. Pets/animals can be expensive. Technically not a hobby but a lot of people blow considerable amount of money on booze weekly/monthly/yearly - especially out at bars and/or dining.

Think of all the hobbies and interests you might have seen at a book store magazine section back in the day or what is in advertisements. People dump money on lots of things, at least periodically, as long as they have a steady income and aren't in the hole. Doesn't mean they throw money into every interest though, and it doesn't necessarily mean they are "rich" though that is relative. Some people devote a lot of their money toward raising children too obviously.

You don't have to be that wealthy. It can just be what you are into, what you prioritize.

. . . .

He was definitely being sarcastic. Like he said, 5 to 7 years is a long time ;)
If you are not impoverished, it's just a matter of budgeting and saving. I remember my first GPU upgrade, I budgeted every meal, saving about $15 a day for a month, and had my GPU.

Woot sells the C2 42" for $669. They are labeled refurbished but people have been receiving brand new TV's with the protective plastic still on the screen. Probably just damaged box returns or change of mind.

Getting to know the C2. I'm using it right now for this. HDMI input 3 is set to PC and I have those settings on. I think that's done properly. VRR and all that is setup. Trying to figure out why/if I can get 120Hz because right now I can't. I'm using an EVGA RTX3080 SC3. I can't imagine it would matter which HDMI inputs and outputs I use respectively would it? I am using brand new HDMI 2.1 spec cables across the boards, too. Gorgeous TV.

Back