4090 owners, how are you dealing with the power connector fiasco?

Or you just pay attention and actually check the cable you are connecting and don't have to worry about it. Building a PC isn't like plugging in a toaster. If you are buying a 4090, I suppose you are careful, especially with the answer out there, it is used error, even though it could have been avoided by foolproofing it a bit more by shortening the sense pins.

But people like to complain and kick and scream more than be smart nowadays.
It was a joke. I got psuedo flamed for suggesting that it wasn't that big of an issue.

I just bought an FE 4090. I'm still confused after 3 pages of posts. Use the adapter that came with or not?

I just installed the FSP Hydro PTM PRO 1200W ATX 3.0 PSU, and I can confirm it's awesome. What a relief it is to have a SILENT power supply at load. No coil whine whatsoever! Less clutter and peace of mind with a direct 12VHPWR connection.

I highly recommend this FSP unit to anyone who is considering it.

edit: As a side note, the Nvidia 12VHPWR adapter was in pristine condition upon inspection. I had been using it with my old PSU for a few weeks, including long gaming sessions at max overclocks. No signs of burning or anything of the sort.

Last edited:
I just installed the FSP Hydro PTM PRO 1200W ATX 3.0 PSU, and I can confirm it's awesome. What a relief it is to have a SILENT power supply at load. No coil whine whatsoever! Less clutter and peace of mind with a direct 12VHPWR connection.

I highly recommend this FSP unit to anyone who is considering it.

edit: As a side note, the Nvidia 12VHPWR adapter was in pristine condition upon inspection. I had been using it with my old PSU for a few weeks, including long gaming sessions at max overclocks. No signs of burning or anything of the sort.
Mine has been doing fine as well. Less clutter is always a plus, and my Nvidia cable was the same, with zero issues with melting.

Is the problem the Gauge of the cable I mean they really haven't changed much since the older days and the GPUs are only getting more power hungry so at some point it's going to get to the limits of the cables. Or am I missing something ??

Wire gauge hasn't been the problem. Gamers nexus actually cut 4 wires off and ran 600W through just 2 wires on the power side. It did not melt or light on fire. The problem is potentially just some poor quality pins on the male side combined with user error. As much as it pains the ones with RMAs to hear, they just didn't plug in the wires all the way. The witness marks on the melted plugs corroborate this assessment. Should the plug be more idiot proof? Considering the failure rate is 50 out of potentially 125 000 4090's already sold, I think maybe we'll get better QA on the adapters, but in all honesty. DIY PC building has always come with risk, it's just in recent years parts have gotten so easy and modular to work with that we sometimes forget we are working with some really delicate equipment that a lot of new owners take the word of the talking heads that it's as easy to do as snapping your fingers to build a PC.

Yeah if that's the case then I can definitely see people now and days having these troubles... the just get it done without QCing yourself attitude that is running this country not just in computer parts but in a lot of other sectors.. buddy of mine had his flooring done and the people doing it didn't even bother to level out the floor so it came out a big wavy mess just an example but it's exemplifies the put it together and pay me attitude no matter if it's a shitty job or not. It also translates into there own things apparently...

As much as we say qc is bad, the failure rate is incredibly low and the evidence is geared more towards user error. All processes have a failure rate, just sucks for the people on that side of the coin.

Yeah it seems a lot of it is lack of being able to check your own quality work. I mean could there be some cards that have issues? Yes but seems like users need to calm down and double check there installation, I mean it's just plug and go it's not like the old days where you had to solder and unsolder ram module or something like that

I'm going to get real for a second.

If you have an RTX 4090, you should have a backup GPU. This is especially true of the high-end where technology is being pushed to the limits. If you don't have a backup, you really can't be angry about being "without a GPU" if your GPU goes out and has to be RMA'd. This is especially true of people on this forum who like to push their GPUs beyond manufacturer specs and keep them there 24/7.

As to people who sell their previous GPU once you secure a new GPU (or worse... sell your previous GPU before you secure a new GPU), I don't feel sorry for you. You're trying to play the market, and in doing so, you take a risk that you might be without a GPU. It is what it is.

I have a 4090.
I also have a 3080 as a backup. Just in case.

This is why I'm not worried.
Always have a backup for your backup. So far so goods with the power cable. Wattage seems stable so far...knock wood.

Attachments

• inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 0
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 0
Just picked up a 4080 FE at Best Buy, not a fan of the cable connection.

I ordered a better cable, not won't be here till next week. In the mean time is this alright?

With the glass panel on, it's pressing against the cables.

Attachments

• PXL_20221202_012602291.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221202_012602291.PORTRAIT.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221202_012618873.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221202_012618873.PORTRAIT.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221202_012639893.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221202_012639893.PORTRAIT.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 0
Just picked up a 4080 FE at Best Buy, not a fan of the cable connection.

I ordered a better cable, not won't be here till next week. In the mean time is this alright?

With the glass panel on, it's pressing against the cables.
As long as it's plugged in all the way you'll be fine. My original "dongle" pressed slightly against the glass of my case and it ran for weeks with no issues.

Tried to get a couple photos with the case panel on;

Attachments

• PXL_20221202_014722214.jpg
    PXL_20221202_014722214.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221202_014801118.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221202_014801118.PORTRAIT.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 0
Man I really want a card that can clock past 2900 MHz. However, don’t feel like buying, selling and all the tension that comes with it. For 100 MHz which isn’t even a guarantee.

Stupid itches.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Man I really want a card that can clock past 2900 MHz. However, don’t feel like buying, selling and all the tension that comes with it. For 100 MHz which isn’t even a guarantee.

Stupid itches.

It really doesn't do much more to have a 4090 overclocked. Mine can do 3Ghz (I think?) And the performance gain over stock which is 27xx Ghz is like 3%.....totally not worth it. I ended up just power limiting it to 80% in the end. I'll happy lose 2-3 fps to run my card at 360watts vs the ~500watts when overclocked.

Attachments

• 20221123_064248.jpg
    20221123_064248.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
It really doesn't do all that much to have a 4090 overclocked. Mine can do 3Ghz (I think?) And the performance gain over stock which is 27xx Ghz is like 3%.....totally not worth it. I ended up just power limiting it to 80% in the end.
I power limit mine to 450w and it runs all day at 2800mhz. That's just fine with me.

Is this power connector issue resolved?
You only need PSU with a native new power connector?

Is this power connector issue resolved?
You only need PSU with a native new power connector?

The 4-cable adapters that are shipping with the new cards work fine. They click in place and they're way more bendy (in a good way) than even the official Corsair single-cable solution.
The issue was mostly people who didn't plug it in all the way (it now clicks very clearly). As long as you make sure it's in all the way and locked into place, there should be no issue.

The issue was mostly people who didn't plug it in all the way (it now clicks very clearly). As long as you make sure it's in all the way and locked into place, there should be no issue.
The issue was proven to be user error. Users were not seating the cable correctly all the way into the connector.
So... Deep penetration... of the power connector? 😊

Just make sure it is plugged all of the way in, don't press it against the side panel of your case, and do not put tension on the cable. By that I mean do not install it such that the power cable is being pulled taught.

If it's fully plugged in, and not being pulled on, or crimped against the side of the case, it will be fine.

Back