4070 gets its lunch money taken by 6800XT and costs more except in RT games

I do if it means having to spend another $200+ on a good PSU, and then having to go through the hassle of replacing my old one, cable management, etc.

For people running on 600W-750W power supplies-the 6950XT is a basically a no-go, and that $200+ difference on top of the GPU all of a sudden puts the 6950XT at 4070Ti prices, with less performance. At that point just get a 4070Ti and save yourself the headache that comes with swapping out a power supply.
Here, the 6950 XT is at various prices but the 4070 Ti is at about $200 more - for the cheapest models - so your observations appear to be accurate. My psu is 850W is probably enough but I still think your point was made. The AMD 6000 cards are not very efficient although these are the higher tier cards - the 3080 Ti/3090/3090 Ti cards are not exactly power efficient. However, I think some good 850W models are sufficient for a 6950 XT or 3090, though? The concern, as I understand it - are the 'transient spikes' that the 6950 XT is said to do? Edit: the 3080, 3090 and 6950 XT are known to occasionally have transient spikes which would make a 850W a safe recommendation instead of anything lower?

Here, the 6950 XT is at various prices but the 4070 Ti is at about $200 more - for the cheapest models - so your observations appear to be accurate. My psu is 850W is probably enough but I still think your point was made. The AMD 6000 cards are not very efficient although these are the higher tier cards - the 3080 Ti/3090/3090 Ti cards are not exactly power efficient. However, I think some good 850W models are sufficient for a 6950 XT or 3090, though? The concern, as I understand it - are the 'transient spikes' that the 6950 XT is said to do? Edit: the 3080, 3090 and 6950 XT are known to occasionally have transient spikes which would make a 850W a safe recommendation instead of anything lower?

Depending on your processor/mobo a couple sources I read around internet says the transient spikes can hit around 600w, so 850w might not even be enough.

It also depends on if the PCIE 8-pins share the same rail or if they’re separate, and the quality of the PSU itself.

Some posts I’ve read say 750w is fine, others I see people says you should aim for a 1000w PSU. So YMMV.

I wouldn’t trust a 6950XT on a 750w PSU, especially if the transient spikes can hit upwards of 600w, when my 5800X even undervolted can use almost 100w, that leaves 50W for the rest of of the components in my system. My personal opinion you should probably aim at a 1000w PSU, gives you more breathing room for overclocking, and adding components.

Depending on your processor/mobo a couple sources I read around internet says the transient spikes can hit around 600w, so 850w might not even be enough.

It also depends on if the PCIE 8-pins share the same rail or if they’re separate, and the quality of the PSU itself.

Some posts I’ve read say 750w is fine, others I see people says you should aim for a 1000w PSU. So YMMV.

I wouldn’t trust a 6950XT on a 750w PSU, especially if the transient spikes can hit upwards of 600w, when my 5800X even undervolted can use almost 100w, that leaves 50W for the rest of of the components in my system. My personal opinion you should probably aim at a 1000w PSU, gives you more breathing room for overclocking, and adding components.
I've asked if my Corsair RM850x is enough - for the 6950 XT and practically everyone I've asked said it's enough. My 3080, so far, has been fine. How would I know if it wasn't? PC Crashes? Black/blue screens?

My mobo is Asus Z690 DDR4 Tuf Gaming - and the gpu is also Asus 3080 Tuf Gaming - not intentional. :) CPU is 12700K. I believe that these components are sufficient for a 6950 XT but if someone wants to explain it's not, for some reason, I am open to the explanation. :) I was thinking my next upgrade should/could be a 4070 Ti/7900 XT anyway - at least, those would be the subsequent cards I'd be trying for. The 6950 XT would be easiest to afford - but, it's just one level/tier up but I'd get a drop in performance in content creation/compute etc., unfortunately. So, I'll probably abandon that route - :-(

I've asked if my Corsair RM850x is enough - for the 6950 XT and practically everyone I've asked said it's enough. My 3080, so far, has been fine. How would I know if it wasn't? PC Crashes? Black/blue screens?

My mobo is Asus Z690 DDR4 Tuf Gaming - and the gpu is also Asus 3080 Tuf Gaming - not intentional. :) CPU is 12700K. I believe that these components are sufficient for a 6950 XT but if someone wants to explain it's not, for some reason, I am open to the explanation. :) I was thinking my next upgrade should/could be a 4070 Ti/7900 XT anyway - at least, those would be the subsequent cards I'd be trying for. The 6950 XT would be easiest to afford - but, it's just one level/tier up but I'd get a drop in performance in content creation/compute etc., unfortunately. So, I'll probably abandon that route - :-(
If it's the 2021 version you shouldn't have any issues with transients.

So in line with the guys wondering if the was they are only ones who don't give a dam about power consumption. Am I the only one who doesn't give a damn about 1080P gaming in 2023?

Reactions: noko
like this
So in line with the guys wondering if the was they are only ones who don't give a dam about power consumption. Am I the only one who doesn't give a damn about 1080P gaming in 2023?
I don't personally. I was on 2560x1600 in 2008 and 4k in 2014. I'm moving to high refresh 4k soon... Been delayed on wanting that because I slowed down on my gaming awhile.

Spoiler:
The MSI Gaming X Trio is the heaviest, longest, widest, fastest, coolest, quietest out of all of the 9 cards tested.

Back