400W PSU situation

What to do?

• Keep the PSU that you have; return the Newegg PSU. Your parents will be fine.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Take back the MC PSU; return the Newegg PSU. Order the Modu82+.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take back the MC PSU; swap the Newegg PSU for the modular unit.

• These are all wrong. Here is what you should do.

• Total voters

stateofjermaine

[H]ard|Gawd
139.99 HP 20-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor
109.88 Lian Li PC-V351B mATX Case
5.98 Link Depot 19.69" SATA III Round Cable [X2]
89.99 GIGABYTE AM3 785G HDMI mATX Motherboard
49.99 Enermax Liberty 400W Modular PSU
99.00 AMD Athlon II X4 620 Processor
94.99 4GB G.SKILL DDR3-1333
69.99 500GB WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM Hard Drive
33.99 LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer + LightScribe
SUB 693.80

Mentioned this build in another thread, but didn't want to hijack.

Would really appreciate some advice on this, guys. I got this build together for my sisters to replace their ho-hum desktop that has been flaking out, lately. Some of the components could have been better, but they won't care and I'm over it. I just want it to run quickly and smoothly for them. Here is the issue.

The parts will arrive tomorrow from Newegg, including the listed PSU. I ordered it because I was looking for a quality modular unit. I realized a few days ago that I'd accidentally picked up the wrong model. I ordered the older Liberty model instead of the newer Liberty ECO. According to some good sources, the older Liberty PSU's were consistently dying after a year or two. So, after negotiating the return with Newegg (unfortunately, the part had already shipped), genius that I am, I drove across town to Micro Center to get the ECO model, as it was about the same price, and I wouldn't have to wait on shipping times. When I got home, I opened the box to check everything out, and I nearly poked my own eyes out. It wasn't the modular version (which was the whole point), and as it turns out, they don't carry it.

Enermax has a great reputation, but even the newer Liberty ECO PSU's have me a little concerned as I can't find many reviews. Those I have found seem to be generally favorable, though. To add to all of this, after some digging, I have found a Modu82+ 425W for the same price online—the Modu82+ units seem to be universally praised. Though nothing is a guarantee, especially with budget units, I just want to feel 95% confident that my sisters will be okay, power-wise. What to do?

Last edited:
The Liberty ECO is a decent PSU line. More than likely though the Modu82+ is of better quality.

Wait, how much are you finding the Modu 82+ 425W for?

The Modu82+ is $105, I think. Actually, here it is. $110.

Not worth it then. There are better and larger PSUs in that price range.

Keep the MC PSU you have now if you're fine with the price you paid for it and the fact that it is not modular. If you need modular, pick up the Liberty 400W Eco online.

Not worth it then. There are better and larger PSUs in that price range.

Keep the MC PSU you have now if you're fine with the price you paid for it and the fact that it is not modular. If you need modular, pick up the Liberty 400W ECO online.
Exactly what I needed. Thanks, Danny.

Last edited:
For posterity, here is the unit I meant to order.

79.99 Enermax Liberty ECO 400W Modular PSU

Last edited:
Going to return the MC power supply. One of the sales guys there recommended an OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W modular unit, for $87.99. It would be an even trade. Thoughts?

I'd just grab a Corsair 400CX before that. I need modular. And this is at Micro Center pricing. No offense, but looking for a few more opinions.

Looks I'll just return it for a refund, thanks. Would have been nice to get a little more info on the MXS 500W unit, though.

All of the PSUs listed in your MC link are overkill for your needs.

The ModXStream PSU is based on the FSP Epsilon design that was known to produce out-of-spec fluctuations, or "ripple," at high loads. Considering the fact that ripple kills parts over time, and that there are better quality PSUs available, we tend to avoid recommending any OCZ PSU that's based on the FSP Epsilon model.

Yeah, it was just something the sales guy threw out, and I figured I'd ask. I'll be returning the Liberty to Newegg and exchanging it for the modular version.

The ModXStream PSU is based on the FSP Epsilon design that was known to produce out-of-spec fluctuations, or "ripple," at high loads. Considering the fact that ripple kills parts over time, and that there are better quality PSUs available, we tend to avoid recommending any OCZ PSU that's based on the FSP Epsilon model.

In addition: The ModXStream Pro, the OCZ model you're starting to see more often these days, are based on a Sirfa design thats really not that great as evident in HardOCP's review of the OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W.

As tiraides, those PSUs aren't that good of a choice for your setup. Quick run down:
- Any of those PSUs above 650W is complete overkill.
- With the exception of the 1200W model, every single one of those Coolmax PSUs listed there is a actually a barely adequate 550W PSU model that's been uprated far too high
- The BFG GX-550 is rated at peak and at 25C. Which means that in real world scenarios and temperatures, that GX-550 will only provide 450W of power at best.

Back