4000 Series Shortage?

lol yeah I just picked up a used 3090 here on the forums to replace my 1080. These over $1k GPU card prices are freaking nuts. I almost shit paying what I did for the 3090. I miss the days of 300 bucks getting you midrange and 500+ being highend GPU prices
i paid a little over 800 for mine with a 1k power supply. I believe it was 9 and change 0nce the dust settled.
He gave me a great deal. Just did not make sense to pull the trigger when 300 more gets you so much more for the 4090. What are they thinking?

Reactions: TMCM
like this
I picked up Evga RTX 3080 Xc3 for $525 shipped, i am overall happy with RTX 3080 and for price.

I am thinking about getting Evga hybrid kit for RTX 3080 and keep it until RTX 5000 series or AMD 8000 series

lol yeah I just picked up a used 3090 here on the forums to replace my 1080. These over $1k GPU card prices are freaking nuts. I almost shit paying what I did for the 3090. I miss the days of 300 bucks getting you midrange and 500+ being highend GPU prices
I agree. I remember when $300 for top card was a nuts price. How times have changed. lol

Reactions: TMCM
like this
I think the nut one was the $699 Quantum 3D Obsidian X-24, that would be like $1,270 today?

Interesting how the x670 bundle stays up forever compared to the z790 bundle.

It was a lot of money for its time so yeah
I was a bit young but that not how I remember it, a 400mhz P2 in 1998 were sold in bulk price around $824, 17 inch CRTs were above $600, people old enough to purchase those card grew up in the era of the $3000 PC with 4mb of rams and no sound card.

The performance-experience difference offered for that price versus buying a 400mhz P2 instead of a 300mhz one was considered great, we were still a couple of years before a ps2 or the first Xbox with a great library of PC only games almost hard to phantom now, it was not considered cheap, but nuts for a price tag for a top of the line computer product in that era ?

Has for the subject it seem like there is a 4080 under $1300 not sold out on newegg, not an Asus but still.

Why is MC running out of Nvidia RTX 4000 Series of GPUs? Are we back to like last year again? None are in stock the past month or so.
All part of Nvidia's strategy. Plenty of 4080's about, though I have been seeing them start selling locally since the RDNA3 launch. Nvidia did an initial launch of good amount of stock, and then switched to prioritizing selling off remaining 30-series stock while prioritizing higher cost/profit server GPUs for current gen.

I wanted 4080 my dad won't let me buy on due to price. So going for a 4070 Ti going to get a suprim plus I'll be able to use my 750 G3 PSU. I game at 1080p so it doesn't really matter currently.

I wanted 4080 my dad won't let me buy on due to price. So going for a 4070 Ti going to get a suprim plus I'll be able to use my 750 G3 PSU. I game at 1080p so it doesn't really matter currently.
Your "dad" won't let you buy it? Still, at 1080p you're right.

4090 is short in supply, 4080 seems readily available. You can even add a 4080FE to cart for pickup right now BestBuy SoCal (Mission Viejo). Edit: And from what I'm reading it has been for a few days now.

Last edited:
i have to ask... why do you want a 4080 class card for 1080P?

because:
1. I dont want a 27+ inch monitor
2. I want absolutely max graphic settings for everything.

I still game at 1080p and I am considering a 4080 if they lower the price. Anything bigger than a 22" monitor and it starts making me sick. I want to be able to max everything possible and still get high frame rates.

Did people really consider $300 launch price for the voodoo 2 12meg of being a nut price ? People were buying 2 of those for slis
Yeah. Today's cards are a screaming bargain compared to the IBM XGA card I once bought, or the Compaq QVision 1280/p card I once brought, or the Matrox Millennium I once bought. The amount of silicon you get for $1,000 is breathtaking IMO and I love that we have this level of performance and don't at all think the prices are terribly out of line.

I just wish the supply were more consistent and predictable.

Shortage... lol. This should be titled "Manufactured Drips of 4090's to inflate pricing". I had an easier time getting my 3090 in the middle of the crypto craze. At this point, since I can't easily find the card I want, about to say fuck it until the 5000 series. This is just stupid and silly at this point.

Yeah. Today's cards are a screaming bargain compared to the IBM XGA card I once bought, or the Compaq QVision 1280/p card I once brought, or the Matrox Millennium I once bought. The amount of silicon you get for $1,000 is breathtaking IMO and I love that we have this level of performance and don't at all think the prices are terribly out of line.

I just wish the supply were more consistent and predictable.
Most people on here are too young or have a short memory. They also don't remember how short lived most components were back in the day.

Shortage... lol. This should be titled "Manufactured Drips of 4090's to inflate pricing". I had an easier time getting my 3090 in the middle of the crypto craze. At this point, since I can't easily find the card I want, about to say fuck it until the 5000 series. This is just stupid and silly at this point.

A shortage at retailers is still a shortage. The situation being stupid in your opinion doesn't change that.

Having 23 days to go for Chinese New year, 16day + shutdown probably won't help 1st qtr of 2023. I say patience and maybe a good window for the next couple of weeks may open up and then close until late March/April.

Back