4000 Series Shortage?

JCNiest5

2[H]4U
Why is MC running out of Nvidia RTX 4000 Series of GPUs? Are we back to like last year again? None are in stock the past month or so.

The 4090s are definitely in shorter supply than the 4080s. But I don’t think there is that much of an issue getting a 4080 due to the less than stellar pricing.

You would need a whole new rig to take advantage of the speed of a 4090 though why even care you know what I mean? and a 4080 is only 20fps better then a 3080ti in a lot of gaming benchmarks sometimes more. Just get a 3080ti for tons cheaper and rock it for a couple years? You get waaaaaay more value for you dollar. Nvidia is full of shit with the bullshit games they play with supply and demand and price hikes lol.

Why is MC running out of Nvidia RTX 4000 Series of GPUs? Are we back to like last year again? None are in stock the past month or so.
4080s are all over the place, in stock. 4090s on the other hand, you'll have to ask Nvidia that question - my understanding is that they're trickling in stock slowly to push 30 series sales.

Everyone has been trying to cut orders and get out of their TSMC contracts. Nobody is particularly motivated to ramp up production right now, especially with the combination of a recession and competing with overproduction of last gen products. Supposedly AMD is going to be doing a RX 7900 launch with around 10k GPUs, which is 1/10th of what Nvidia launched the 4090 with. Another paper launch incoming.

Last edited:
You would need a whole new rig to take advantage of the speed of a 4090 though why even care you know what I mean? and a 4080 is only 20fps better then a 3080ti in a lot of gaming benchmarks sometimes more. Just get a 3080ti for tons cheaper and rock it for a couple years? You get waaaaaay more value for you dollar. Nvidia is full of shit with the bullshit games they play with supply and demand and price hikes lol.
I have an EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming now. I don't play too many games that demand top-tier GPUs. I only play games like Lost Ark, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, etc., but I usually want one just to brag about. I had to camp overnight outside an MC last spring to get the 3090. Now, all the 4090s are $2k and up only. I may never get one. Maybe I will wait for 5090.

Everyone has been trying to cut orders and get out of their TSMC contracts. Nobody is particularly motivated to ramp up production right now, especially with the combination of a recession and competing with overproduction of last gen products. Supposedly AMD is going to be doing a 7900XT launch with around 10k GPUs, which is 1/10th of what Nvidia launched the 4090 with. Another paper launch incoming.
I guess if they launch with such little quantities, then they for sure can sell every card they make. Right? :coffee:

Not really, it is even somewhat exceptionnal:
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-4080-gv-n4080eagle-oc-16gd/p/N82E16814932562?Item=N82E16814932562&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=afc-ran-com-_-PCPartPicker&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=afc-ran-com-_-PCPartPicker&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https://pcpartpicker.com/&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-lXJSqalmPvTLubWa.jPaXg

Shipped by newegg, really close to msrp, brand name, close to it but not the first day of launch, you can buy a $1280 online, add to cart really close to msrp from a brand name like Gigabyte.

According to pcpart picker that the single exception under $100 over msrp, but I am not sure if they catch everything, but still the fact that a single instance exist would not sure it would be something that would have been possible for a card even with a non exceptional hash rate of apparently around 80MH/s (+30% a 3070 or so).

Like mentionned the 4090 are much more in demand but unlike say the 3080 at launch and for a long time they seem being easily purchasable online via prebuilt:
https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/gam...rationid=f0d6432c-d2cc-4ab6-9785-894c5d20b0d8
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clx-se...vme-ssd-4tb-hdd-black/6523878.p?skuId=6523878

There a somewhat long list that have them that seem to be available for add to cart, pick-up and so on, it is probably not close to be worth the trouble for scalper to go throught the ordeal of buying them, extract the card, mine/sales them and sales the deskptop with a regular card has well, very little scalping money to be made at those price points.

It could be that or has well like it was rumored a bit everywhere including in this message board about record volume for the 4090 for a lauching halo product helping quite a bit.

I sincerely doubt my local MC is wanting for 3080/3090's right now.. (and surely 4090/4080's aren't hard to find)

dark-knight-joker.gif

LoL what????? A 4080 is only 20fps faster than a 3080ti???? Fuucckkk that shit!!! What a total rip off!! I ain't upgradin shit. 20fps...LLOOOOOLLLLL!

I have a 4090 backordered on Adorama and when I called them they said they never got a shipment after the initial drop. I doubt Nvidia will bother to ship very many more 4090s when the dies can go on professional hardware and make 10x the profit of a gaming card.

Seems like the opposite of a shortage... There's only been a handful of days since launch where the Microcenter by me has not had any 4080 in stock and it took them an entire week to run out for the first time after launch day. Newegg seems much the same. This is in like 2080 territory of high availability due to lack of buyer enthusiasm.

Even 4090 models have been popping up often enough for me to notice them. It makes sense for those to sell quick since that's actually a major upgrade from GA102.

I will say it seems like the lackluster RDNA3 launch may have sped up 4080 sales a bit this week after a bit of a lull last week.

Seems like the opposite of a shortage... There's only been a handful of days since launch where the Microcenter by me has not had any 4080 in stock and it took them an entire week to run out for the first time after launch day. Newegg seems much the same. This is in like 2080 territory of high availability due to lack of buyer enthusiasm.

Even 4090 models have been popping up often enough for me to notice them. It makes sense for those to sell quick since that's actually a major upgrade from GA102.

I will say it seems like the lackluster RDNA3 launch may have sped up 4080 sales a bit this week after a bit of a lull last week.
Yeah, at least here in Denmark (Europe) there all of a sudden was quite a few RTX 4090 in stock in the week leading up to the RDNA 3 launch - makes you go hmmmm… :rolleyes: Could be a coincidence, but I think not. That stock of RTX 4090s seem to have gone away pretty much by now….

guessing you’re in Europe? 4090’s are non-existant in Canada and not much better in the USA and it’s rather frustrating.

I have a 4090 backordered on Adorama and when I called them they said they never got a shipment after the initial drop. I doubt Nvidia will bother to ship very many more 4090s when the dies can go on professional hardware and make 10x the profit of a gaming card.
I been saying this but people laugh at me thinking no way Nvidia would drop the gaming market. I guarantee you Nvidia would love to just allocate all their dies to the professional/Ai market.

Depends on game and settings. my 3080 is the limiting factor on several games at 1440p ultra wide. you also don’t necessarily need to take “full advantage” of an upgrade to see appreciable improvements.

guessing you’re in Europe? 4090’s are non-existant in Canada and not much better in the USA and it’s rather frustrating.
I'm in western USA. I haven't seen shit at Newegg or Best Buy for 4090 but they do show up at Microcenter occasionally. (I check MC daily and NE / BB a few times a week) It's far from "walk in and buy a card" like 4080 has mostly been but in my city at least there are 4090 drops happening.

Reactions: noko
like this
I'm in western USA. I haven't seen shit at Newegg or Best Buy for 4090 but they do show up at Microcenter occasionally. (I check MC daily and NE / BB a few times a week) It's far from "walk in and buy a card" like 4080 has mostly been but in my city at least there are 4090 drops happening.
May as well be another country for me since the closest Micro Center is a 9 hour drive away.

It's pretty annoying, that's for sure. I'd happily buy a 4090 if Micro Center had one in stock... but all they have are a ton of old 30 series and the 4080. At some point, I'll probably just give up and keep my 3090 until the 50 series or a 4090Ti... lol.

It's pretty annoying, that's for sure. I'd happily buy a 4090 if Micro Center had one in stock... but all they have are a ton of old 30 series and the 4080. At some point, I'll probably just give up and keep my 3090 until the 50 series or a 4090Ti... lol.
And you will have the same problem with the 5xxx cards!

And you will have the same problem with the 5xxx cards!
I hate to say it, but I had an easier time getting my 3090!!! Micro Center had them at least once every other week, it was just a matter of timing. As far as I have seen, my Micro Center has had the 4090 on release, and a very small batch a month later and that's it.

I hate to say it, but I had an easier time getting my 3090!!! Micro Center had them at least once every other week, it was just a matter of timing. As far as I have seen, my Micro Center has had the 4090 on release, and a very small batch a month later and that's it.
Today is the first day since release I seen a 4090 on MC site. I am sure they sell out before they even have a change to be put on the site.

Shortage of 4080s at msrp? Yes. Shortage of 4080s at any price? No. The only 4080 I have seen where I would say there is a shortage is the FE at msrp. Out of Stock everywhere it seems. Cheapest 4080 I have seen so far is $1289.00. Most are like $1320 and up. Shortage of 4090s? At msrp? Yes. At any price? No. I see them between $2k and $3k. If you got money to blow you won't have a problem finding the 4xxx series GPU. If you are looking to scoop one up at msrp then good luck. After New Year's maybe prices and supply will become more favorable. Maybe.

Shortage of 4080s at msrp? Yes. Shortage of 4080s at any price? No. The only 4080 I have seen where I would say there is a shortage is the FE at msrp. Out of Stock everywhere it seems. Cheapest 4080 I have seen so far is $1289.00. Most are like $1320 and up. Shortage of 4090s? At msrp? Yes. At any price? No. I see them between $2k and $3k. If you got money to blow you won't have a problem finding the 4xxx series GPU. If you are looking to scoop one up at msrp then good luck. After New Year's maybe prices and supply will become more favorable. Maybe.
The FE 4080 was available for like 30 minutes yesterday at BB multiple times throughout the day.

I had it in the cart and almost pulled the trigger. If I still had a 3080 maybe but please tell me that i did the right thing passing it up since I have a 3090.
Honestly, you did the right thing. I like Nvidia cards, I've been using them for a long time over AMD in my desktop (my last AMD desktop card was the 4870X2 IIRC). $1200 base MSRP for an xx80 series card? No, they deserve to sit on that inventory and pay back AIBs when they are forced to lower the price (hopefully early next year).

I had it in the cart and almost pulled the trigger. If I still had a 3080 maybe but please tell me that i did the right thing passing it up since I have a 3090.
Personally I would pass on the 4xxx series if I had a 3090. Wait for the 5xxx series before buying again. Once you get to this stage start skipping a generation or maybe two I feel.

Even if you have 3080, getting 4080 will not worth it with it's current price.

lol yeah I just picked up a used 3090 here on the forums to replace my 1080. These over $1k GPU card prices are freaking nuts. I almost shit paying what I did for the 3090. I miss the days of 300 bucks getting you midrange and 500+ being highend GPU prices

Back