3DFX Voodoo5 6000 Rev 3700A 128MB prototype 210-0391-001 EXTREMELY RARE

Status
Not open for further replies.

erek

[H]F Junkie
(Not mine, yet)

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325521605074?hash=item4bca9981d2:g:IAkAAOSwq6Zj1EN1

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I remember that being on eBay before, with similar numbers. I wonder if it's the same "investment" one.

Reactions: erek
like this
The current bid is 5,100 bucks. For a relic... It's cool, like my 2 Arcade cabinets that no one ever plays but me on occasion. I am the envy of my friends. Yet, the reality is that I didn't need em. You could buy at least two 4090's for that price. Save your money unless that's chump change to you. 3DFX is a dream that died from stupidity and then the IP was all bought up by Nvidia and never used. With only SLI making an appearance, but it wasn't even the SLI that 3DFX used. It is similar in Acronym only.

Glide was the shit back in the day. A really lightweight API. Those were good times.

The current bid is 5,100 bucks. For a relic... It's cool, like my 2 Arcade cabinets that no one ever plays but me on occasion. I am the envy of my friends. Yet, the reality is that I didn't need em. You could buy at least two 4090's for that price. Save your money unless that's chump change to you. 3DFX is a dream that died from stupidity and then the IP was all bought up by Nvidia and never used. With only SLI making an appearance, but it wasn't even the SLI that 3DFX used. It is similar in Acronym only.

Glide was the shit back in the day. A really lightweight API. Those were good times.
I also read a bunch of these prototypes didn't work properly and required modifications.... That is 2015 Honda Civic money right there.

I also read a bunch of these prototypes didn't work properly and required modifications.... That is 2015 Honda Civic money right there.
Quite a few didn't. You'll see a lot out there with wires soldered across the back, chips replaced, etc.

like this
Were some bids removed? Could swear when I clicked on the link earlier it was up to $10,100 with 45 bids.

like this
mine works

Nice. You should be playing with all bots turned on, in God Mode (for the bots). That's how I used to train myself for online murder festivals. Damn, I loved that game back in the day.

Very Cool Though. Wing Commander Prophecy looked incredible on the Voodoo Cards. Nothing else ran it smooth back in the day.

Nice. You should be playing with all bots turned on, in God Mode (for the bots). That's how I used to train myself for online murder festivals. Damn, I loved that game back in the day.

Very Cool Though. Wing Commander Prophecy looked incredible on the Voodoo Cards. Nothing else ran it smooth back in the day.
With akimbo (double weapons), more gore, boom death, and decal stay mod set to permanent. That'll really test the card. Would love to see how the V5 6000 handles it next to my V4 4500.

Quite a few didn't. You'll see a lot out there with wires soldered across the back, chips replaced, etc.

The soldering across the back is to fix the PCI bus corruption. When 3dfx laid the card out, they didn't design the PCI bus correctly to have return grounds, so the bus would be trashed once enough data started flowing on it. The "fix" is to skew the PCI clock just enough to reduce the cross talk, but not enough to make the card not work at all. Many cards would work up until you either enabled SLI mode, or tried to use AF/AA modes, then bad things happened.

The dead VSA-100 chips was because of fab issues and them trying to push the chips too far and too hard. Some of the VSA-100 replacements were for dead ones, while some others were replacing all four VSA-100 chips with late batches of them that were a lot more stable, and could clock a lot higher. Some of the final VSA-100 silicon could hit 200 MHz, which also required similarly fast SDRAM, hence also replacing the memory chips.

There's a guy somewhere in Europe (oshcar or something?) that specializes in upgrading those old boards, and repairing dead ones. You'll pay more for his services than you'll pay for the card though, so be prepared to have deep pockets if you want a decked out VSA-100 based Voodoo 4/5. Not sure if he still does it, or if there are any remaining stock of those old VSA-100 chips. It'd be interesting if someone came up with a FPGA replacement for them, though that's an exercise in insanity when a Glide emulator would get you the same result.

$15k for just a 3D card. I remember the days when you could buy a complete system with 3D for $9999.98 (Monitor, keyboard, and mouse not included). How times have changed.

$15k for just a 3D card. I remember the days when you could buy a complete system with 3D for $9999.98 (Monitor, keyboard, and mouse not included). How times have changed.
Yup, I think it’s limited to 15K because the seller isn’t big time enough. Probably would have kept going if he had enough previous sales to unlock the big time

1676320773331.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back