3Dfx Voodoo 2 on a Modern PC!

I was just searching for such an adapter so I could plug in my old firewire card to enable me to capture of my old miniDV camcorder. Anyone have advice for a good one?
Also my bad for using archaic words such as firewire/miniDV/camcorder. Google is your friend or ask anyone near death for an answer. Lol! /s
PS- spellcheck doesn't know what firewire or miniDV are!

I was just searching for such an adapter so I could plug in my old firewire card to enable me to capture of my old miniDV camcorder. Anyone have advice for a good one?
Also my bad for using archaic words such as firewire/miniDV/camcorder. Google is your friend or ask anyone near death for an answer. Lol! /s
PS- spellcheck doesn't know what firewire or miniDV are!
skip adapters https://www.amazon.com/axGear-PCIE-PCI-Firewire-Windows/dp/B01996W7W4/ref=asc_df_B01996W7W4

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I remember when this card was King Sh!t and the superior 12MB variant cost a mighty $299. I managed to buy two of them on a grocery store salary and SLI'd them in the Gateway PII-300 that I received as part of a college scholarship. It was quite the upgrade from a 486-DX2/66 that couldn't run 3D games and could only propel demanding 2D/software rendered games like Quake into the teens in terms of framerate. :p

Now we are paying ~$1700 for 24GB cards. Crazy.

What’s the hash rate?
giphy.gif

I remember when this card was King Sh!t and the superior 12MB variant cost a mighty $299. I managed to buy two of them on a grocery store salary

It went crazy quite a bit can you get about 1000 more video cards for the same money, that was around $1123 in 2023 dollars those 2 voodoo sli, more than a 7900 xtx

I remember when this card was King Sh!t and the superior 12MB variant cost a mighty $299. I managed to buy two of them on a grocery store salary and SLI'd them in the Gateway PII-300 that I received as part of a college scholarship. It was quite the upgrade from a 486-DX2/66 that couldn't run 3D games and could only propel demanding 2D/software rendered games like Quake into the teens in terms of framerate. :p

With taxes and shipping it’s closer to 2000$ US

The first FPS I ever played was Doom on an IBM PS/2 equipped with a 486 DX/33, from that moment on I was hooked.

That was so fun. I mean, old tech sometimes is next to nearly impossible to do with more modern hardware. Enjoyed the show.

The first FPS I ever played was Doom on an IBM PS/2 equipped with a 486 DX/33, from that moment on I was hooked.
My best friend at the time had an SX/33 and that was where I first experienced Doom, which reeeeeeeeallly opened my eyes to the possibilities/capabilties of PC gaming. Thank Carmack/Romero/iD for that.

My rig ran it better, but didn't come with a sound card so I remember the audio sounding extremely basic, which led to me getting my first Sound Blaster 16 lol. Then from there, 3D accelerators and holy $h!t...

Last edited:
I've been trying to find something like that for AGP
https://web.archive.org/web/2006021...w:80/english/news/news_detail.asp?news_id=167

Some further searching says
The converter is only compatible with the following AGP Video cards from NVIDIA: MX4000, FX5200, FX5700, FX5700LE, GeForce 6800, GeForce 6200.

And I did see a youtube video with it, so it does seem to exist; sometimes you find these old press releases, but the product never made it out to people.

All I kept thinking throughout this video was thank goodness for bulletin boards. I'm glad they came decades before social media and Discord.

No spoilers here

"A breakthrough! Using a PCI-e to PCI adapter, I was able to connect my old 3dfx Voodoo2 to a modern PC running Windows 10."

Gotta admire his tenacity in finding all of the drivers and fixes needed.

What they don't tell you is that those run the pci slot at half speed, you get 33Mhz PCI. So it's good for the really old voodoo cards, but not so much for the voodoo5 era cards.

What they don't tell you is that those run the pci slot at half speed, you get 33Mhz PCI. So it's good for the really old voodoo cards, but not so much for the voodoo5 era cards.
Is there any good agp2pcie for the full speed Voodoo5s ?

My best friend at the time had an SX/33 and that was where I first experienced Doom, which reeeeeeeeallly opened my eyes to the possibilities/capabilties of PC gaming. Thank Carmack/Romero/iD for that.

My rig ran it better, but didn't come with a sound card so I remember the audio sounding extremely basic, which led to me getting my first Sound Blaster 16 lol. Then from there, 3D accelerators and holy $h!t...
I had a Soundblaster card, under DOS it ran when it decided it wanted to run, which definitely wasn't all the time. Certain aspects of the early days of PC gaming I certainly don't miss.

Unless you have a recent motherboard with a pci slot. This one I had a 5800X3D running in it before upgrading.

20230418_220602.jpg
Comes with drivers but never used the slot.

I had a Soundblaster card, under DOS it ran when it decided it wanted to run, which definitely wasn't all the time. Certain aspects of the early days of PC gaming I certainly don't miss.
Agreed. Having to configure sound card settings manually, setting jumpers on hard drives, slow downloads, the thumbscrews on VGA cables that were sometimes impossibly difficult to unscrew with fingers if tightened too much, having to defrag periodically, OS rot was real, etc.

But it was fun and exciting, and the possibilities seemed endless. PITAs and all, it led to a career and many hours of entertainment so I can’t knock it too hard. :)

this is a god send for people with old school audiophile/studio sound cards. too bad they didn't have them 10 yrs ago.

but back then i guess you could still get motherboards with that one lone pci slot

literally same upgrade i went to in early college.

Having to configure sound card settings manually, setting jumpers on hard drives, slow downloads, the thumbscrews on VGA cables that were sometimes impossibly difficult to unscrew with fingers if tightened too much...
I loved setting that stuff because no 'plug and play' or 'auto configure' would change it once it was working. And why the hell was anyone screwing in those thumbscrews on the vga!!!!! Is your application so critical that if the monitor signal was lost, a plane would crash? If the answer is no you would leave these unscrewed as 15-pins was more than enough to hold it in. Plus, the other issue of someone moving the monitor or the cpu and ripping the port off the computer or monitor--again, maybe an issue in a flight control tower, but otherwise...

Unless you have a recent motherboard with a pci slot. This one I had a 5800X3D running in it before upgrading.

View attachment 565198
Comes with drivers but never used the slot.
That one is 33mhz PCI slot too. It would be good for everything PCI except Voodoo5 cards (the single chip v5 might be ok). How much it hurts performance on a voodoo5 that is PCI (these can run at 66Mhz) I haven't been able to find.
I was looking around for a pcie to pci converter that had 66Mhz pci slot (notch is closest to backside) on Amazon, and asked one of the vendors if they made one in 66Mhz PCI, and he had no idea what I was talking about. The 66Mhz PCI only saw use on server motherboards so not surprising, PCI-X is also 66Mhz typically. But the majority of PCI slots are 33Mhz and have half the bandwidth of 66mhz pci, and 1/4 that of APG
You can tell from the notch placement, the notch close to the backside = 66Mhz, the notch father from the backside is 33Mhz.
The voodoo5 boards were not super compatible to all AGP slots since they were AGP 1.0 which runs at a higher voltage than AGP 2 and later, and some motherboards do not have the proper 3.3v support for. So it's not really easy getting them working either way.

The 66Mhz PCI only saw use on server motherboards so not surprising, PCI-X is also 66Mhz typically.
I believe the Dell Precision 670 had pci-x slots. Not only that, but it was dual cpu with a max of 16GB of ram, even back in the day. It used a massive amount of power and generated some serious heat too though. Although this type of system almost sounds perfect for a voodoo marriage. ;)

I ordered an asus m2n-lr off ebay, wasn't too much, has 2 pci-x slots that are 66Mhz.

I have a v5 6000 pci on order from Zxclxiv.

I have several older soundcards, I think I have a turtle beach Aureal vortex 2, that has a wavetable header for my Roland SCD-15 which I got around here someplace. Gotta find that.
So with these 3 it should be the base of a very good retro box. Putting WinXP on it though since that's the only drivers for the nForce chipset on that mobo, but the Aureal drivers will be a potential issue. Might have to find a soundcard with good WinXP drivers as well as a wavetable header. Suggestions?

Also might try Win98se even without the nForce chipset drivers (if it can see storage).

Doesn't work in all games properly from what I have read. I have a bunch of the old Aureal drivers, going to try it in WinXP.
all the DirectSound3d stuff was stripped out in vista - it literally doesn't exist now. A3d cards will just be basic stereo cards now.

You can tell from the notch placement, the notch close to the backside = 66Mhz, the notch father from the backside is 33Mhz.

I thought the notch placement was about voltage, or is it the case that 3.3v pci is always 66Mhz?

Agreed. Having to configure sound card settings manually, setting jumpers on hard drives, slow downloads, the thumbscrews on VGA cables that were sometimes impossibly difficult to unscrew with fingers if tightened too much, having to defrag periodically, OS rot was real, etc.

But it was fun and exciting, and the possibilities seemed endless. PITAs and all, it led to a career and many hours of entertainment so I can’t knock it too hard. :)
I was a computer repair and builder in 90s during high school. People were very impressed and I was making 12 hr when other kids were making 4.75 hr pushing grocery carts.

Back