3D?

marshac

American Hero
With everyone going nuts over the 3D revolution coming our way, one question remains unanswered- why must I buy a new TV/screen? nVidia offered shutter glasses 10 years ago and they worked just fine- what's so fundamentally different about this new technology that it requires all new equipment, or is it simply a money grab? I'm wondering because I bought a new LED-LCD TV, and it's capable of doing 1080p @ 60Hz (despite being a '240Hz set')- most movies are 24fps... I have plenty of 'frames' leftover to display the alternate images. So what gives? It can't simply be HDMI 1.4 either since the PS3 will do 3D with it's 1.3 interface.

Ideas?

is everyone really going nuts, or is it just marketing hype? i think these companies have a lot of nerve to expect that consumers will dump their new HDTVs for another new one that is 3D ready. personally, i think 3D, in its current form, will flop.

I totally agree, and it's not just the TVs- it's also the $150 glasses for EVERYONE watching. I just don't understand the need for a new set though...

The only things that are going nuts are the marketing slides of displays manufacturers.
As far as I am concerned, actual implementation of 3D is a gimmick.

nVidia offered shutter glasses 10 years ago and they worked just fine

No, actually they didn't. They made you barf if you used them for longer than a half hour. (Note that link goes to a 2001 article.)

what's so fundamentally different about this new technology that it requires all new equipment, or is it simply a money grab? I'm wondering because I bought a new LED-LCD TV, and it's capable of doing 1080p @ 60Hz (despite being a '240Hz set')- most movies are 24fps... I have plenty of 'frames' leftover to display the alternate images. So what gives? It can't simply be HDMI 1.4 either since the PS3 will do 3D with it's 1.3 interface.

3D shutter glasses work by displaying alternating frames to each eye. If you do that with a 60Hz monitor (30Hz per eye), it causes vomiting. 3D shutter glasses need to operate at 60Hz per eye (120Hz total) to avoid this.

There was a recent thread with much detail about this here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1483358

I looked at them for more then 30 minutes today at Best Buy and did not vomit. Only some drool.

I looked at them for more then 30 minutes today at Best Buy and did not vomit. Only some drool.

It was probably on a 120hz display. I don't think they do shutter glasses with 60hz displays anymore - I'm pretty sure they stopped that a long time ago.

Back