3900X with stock cooler - fan speeds up about once a minute while doing Lightroom

x509

2[H]4U
I just built my new system recently with ASUS ROG X570 Strix-E, 3900X CPU with stock cooler, and 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL 16 RAM. I had an unexplained shutdown after one week, which I fixed after removing the CMOS battery overnight. So before I try to fine-tune and maybe do some overclocking, I wantto run this system completely at stock settings for a few weeks. So far the only BIOS settings I changed were the date and time.

I was just running Lightroom and the CPU fan was making a loud noise for about 2-3 seconds every minute while running Lightroom. (I was viewing collections in the LIBRARY Grid view.) This has never happened before. At first I thought noise was a loud car outside my window. Does this noise mean the CPU is overheating or throttling? How do I fix this problem?

I'm running Win 10 Pro 64 1909 + all patches, and Lightroom v9.2.1. I'm still using my ancient GTX 660 until a Gigabyte 2060 Windforce comes is back in stock at my preferred store (where they pay the sales tax and do free shipping).

The fan responds immediately to any jump in temperature.

How to fix in ASUS BIOS:

Set base speed of fan - 60% even for lowest threshhold

Set fan to ramp up to 70% for temps above 60C with 2-3 second delays

Set fan to ramp up to 85% for temps above 70C with 2-3 second delays.

Works for my wraith prism and opening the browser no longer causes the fan to spin up and down and make a lot of noise. I'm even running the fan in high speed mode and I don't notice it.

The fan responds immediately to any jump in temperature.

How to fix in ASUS BIOS:

Set base speed of fan - 60% even for lowest threshhold

Set fan to ramp up to 70% for temps above 60C with 2-3 second delays

Set fan to ramp up to 85% for temps above 70C with 2-3 second delays.

Works for my wraith prism and opening the browser no longer causes the fan to spin up and down and make a lot of noise. I'm even running the fan in high speed mode and I don't notice it.
Thanks. As I mentioned in my OP, I haven't changed a thing in the BIOS except the date and time, to make sure that this system runs stable.

Opening the browser doesn't affect the fan. Highly graphics-based operations in Adobe Lightroom does.

Last edited:
You should really do a search first about this issue. It is a question that seems to be asked on almost a weekly basis and has been answered dozens of times.

You should really do a search first about this issue. It is a question that seems to be asked on almost a weekly basis and has been answered dozens of times.
I am glad he didnt. I learned something today about a build I am still building. Now I know what to do after I install windows and before I even bother installing lightroom.

I wouldn't have bothered doing a search for it but when I saw the title I looked in on it and learned something, isnt that the idea of a forum?

I am glad he didnt. I learned something today about a build I am still building. Now I know what to do after I install windows and before I even bother installing lightroom.

I wouldn't have bothered doing a search for it but when I saw the title I looked in on it and learned something, isnt that the idea of a forum?

Yes it is the idea. Sadly that question has been asked so many times that most people do not even bother answering it anymore. And when they do the OP's almost always still do not understand why the temps do what they do on the 3000 series chips. You can not set an actual fan curve for these because the temps bounce just sitting at idle in an 8-10C swing range. You need to 'flatten' the curve just like with the 'Rona'. But that has been said a zillion times.

Yes it is the idea. Sadly that question has been asked so many times that most people do not even bother answering it anymore. And when they do the OP's almost always still do not understand why the temps do what they do on the 3000 series chips. You can not set an actual fan curve for these because the temps bounce just sitting at idle in an 8-10C swing range. You need to 'flatten' the curve just like with the 'Rona'. But that has been said a zillion times.
True enough that as the OP, I don't understand (until now) how 3000 series temps behave. But I just built this system a few weeks ago.

Back