3080 Eth testing

motqalden

[H]ard|DCOTM x5
So I got my 3080 today and i fired it up on NH to see how she goes.

First off i set the Power Target to 65%
Memory +1000
Core = stock

Running Phoenix miner on NH this was getting me 96MH/s
I was seeing actual power target in Afterburner closer to 70% and power reported by the miner was around 248w

I tried it on 60% and my hashes dropped to around 86 MH/s at around 225W
My FTW3 was running under 60c (55-57c) at these settings with basic afterburner fan curve less than 70%

with NH this was reporting around .2 mBTC / Day or roughly $3 Canadian at current rates per day.
Since I use a lot of power for stuff i calculate my costs on 14c / KHW so i would estimate my cost to run this would be roughly $30 per month , so roughly $60 profit per month.

Payouts have been down quite a bit lately so they could drop further or go up again who knows. At these calculations it would be roughly 20 months to pay off my card for what i bought it for ($1250 CDN with taxes / shipping) assuming no changes.
Likely I don't have anywhere near that long as ETH could go POS any day?
There is always other coins to mine but alts are suffering in the last month or so.

Anyways I didn't buy it just for mining. I will be playing some games and doing some Distributed Computing, but figured i would share some info about how long it would take to pay for itself and some basic clocks / metrics i have tried so far.

Memory +1000
Core = stock

I was seeing actual power target in Afterburner closer to 70% and power reported by the miner was around 248w

My FTW3 was running under 60c (55-57c) at these settings with basic afterburner fan curve less than 70%

with NH this was reporting around .2 mBTC / Day or roughly $3 Canadian at current rates per day.
Since I use a lot of power for stuff i calculate my costs on 14c / KHW so i would estimate my cost to run this would be roughly $30 per month , so roughly $60 profit per month.

Payouts have been down quite a bit lately so they could drop further or go up again who knows. At these calculations it would be roughly 20 months to pay off my card for what i bought it for ($1250 CDN with taxes / shipping) assuming no changes.
There is always other coins to mine but alts are suffering in the last month or so.

Anyways I didn't buy it just for mining. I will be playing some games and doing some Distributed Computing, but figured i would share some info about how long it would take to pay for itself and some basic clocks / metrics i have tried so far.
Those calculations are worthless, coin value could go way up or down even within one month. Still if you start cashing out you start receiving the profits on sale to sale. Long turn hold is really unknown.

Those calculations are worthless, coin value could go way up or down even within one month. Still if you start cashing out you start receiving the profits on sale to sale. Long turn hold is really unknown.

I stated pretty much exactly that in my post...

I stated pretty much exactly that in my post...
Thanks for sharing. You did say ". . .figured i would share some info about how long it would take to pay for itself and some basic clocks / metrics i have tried so far." My comment was only meant on the figuring when it will be paid off or how long it will take is unpredictable. If you sell immediately and lock in a profit, then that is a sure thing, everything else is virtually unpredictable. Now I mine and just hold the coins for any future prospects bust, nothing, something to rainbow treasures.

Thanks for sharing. You did say ". . .figured i would share some info about how long it would take to pay for itself and some basic clocks / metrics i have tried so far." My comment was only meant on the figuring when it will be paid off or how long it will take is unpredictable. If you sell immediately and lock in a profit, then that is a sure thing, everything else is virtually unpredictable. Now I mine and just hold the coins for any future prospects bust, nothing, something to rainbow treasures.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I did not mean it to come off as some kind of guaranteed ROI speech or recommendation. I have been mining casually for the past 3 years now and i know how worthless ROI guessing can be. I also am and have been doing long term holding but Its small scale and certainly i am in no way banking my retirement on it. It's more of a hobby that I enjoy and a good excuse to buy new stuff more often then i would normally. Certainly If you are trying to maximise profits this would not be the card to get. I get similar hash rates per watt on my Radeon VII cards and they cost me half as much when i bought them. I would not have gotten this card if mining was the only thing I planned to do with it. I would have been way ahead in the last 3 years had I taken the money I have spent on hardware and just bought and held coins from the get go.

Reactions: noko
like this
I didn't really see any difference going from -300 to +200 maybe +- 1-2 MH at most

Yeah it seems to scale with memory somewhat. at +0 I was getting 85MH/s and at +1000 I was getting the 96MH/s I was reporting. +1200 was around 98 MH/s. Not sure how much higher I feel comfortable pushing the memory though.

interestingly If i set the Memory to +1000 and core to -300 and then lower power target in afterburner to 60% I am getting around 95 MH/s but at 20 watts less.
Miner reports power target at 66% and 228 watts and power target shows around 70 reported in afterburner.

interestingly If i set the Memory to +1000 and core to -300 and then lower power target in afterburner to 60% I am getting around 95 MH/s but at 20 watts less.
Miner reports power target at 66% and 228 watts and power target shows around 70 reported in afterburner.

Interesting. Idk if afterburner gives you the option but normally tuning a mining card works best if you mess with the voltage itself not just the power target. Thats probably the case with these cards too giving they were pushed pretty hard from the factory.

Yeah I should be able to set a voltage once i unlock it in afterburner but I have not tried that as of yet for this card. I do use it for my VII cards to set voltage to around 955mv (in afterburner) . certainly quite likely i could get even better efficiency by tweaking it some more.

Yeah I should be able to set a voltage once i unlock it in afterburner but I have not tried that as of yet for this card. I do use it for my VII cards to set voltage to around 955mv (in afterburner) . certainly quite likely i could get even better efficiency by tweaking it some more.
I would imagine these cards could use abit of a undervolt given they are pretty toasty chips and it can be easier to find stability mining then gaming. Either way thanks for the numbers is always interesting to see even if mining isn't as lucrative as it was.

If your looking for a coin that may generate abit more profit check out nimiq. Although I have no idea how it would do on one of these cards I always mined it on the phis

Seems like i can't directly slide or dial in a voltage and i have to set up a voltage curve based on frequency or something similar. This was both in Afterburner and Precision X1

Seems like i can't directly slide or dial in a voltage and i have to set up a voltage curve based on frequency or something similar. This was both in Afterburner and Precision X1
Strange. Maybe need an update in Afterburner? When I run Nvidia cards for DC, I always tweak the voltage-frequency curve with AB and save at least 10W roughly depending on the clock frequency that I'm aiming for. Not much but it saves a lot of electricity considering running the cards for a few days or more.

Nice. Thanks for sharing motqalden

That's all dialed in as you get with these things given the current crop of miners.

Thanks for sharing.

Looks like it's still not as efficient as the year and a half old 5700 (~50Mh/s @ 100W). I'm guessing that the new RDNA2 is going to be the mining card to get if you're still into that kind of thing.

I thought NiceHash was questionable as people reported that they were not getting the hashrate if they were to run the downloaded mining client directly vs going through the nicehas app? As if nicehash was skimming off the top..

I don't know anything about that but what i do know is that if you check out whattomine it often lists certain nicehash algo as among the top earners or only a few cents less per day than regular pool mining.
I mostly use it for the convenience factor. I keep an eye on my hash rates which are in line with others running similar settings and I compare VS what i actually make over the week and I am not seeing any major losses like you are talking about. I have been using Nicehash since around Mar 2018 which was right after their hack and they have been really solid for me.

Memory +1000
Core = stock

Ugh, why people are still using NH is beyond me. There are so many more alternatives which are more reputable out there. I hope you have it set up to send the payouts to a non-NH wallet, at least.

The money-related portion may be irrelevant, sure, but at least the hash rate gives you a pretty good idea.

Ugh, why are people still using NH is beyond me. There are so many more alternatives which are more reputable out there. I hope you have it set up to send the payouts to a non-NH wallet, at least.
No but I typically pull everything out every month or so to my own private wallet. Why is the convenience factor. You say reputable but other than the one hack I have not seen any evidence to suggest NH has any negative reputation. They have gone through a bunch of security auditing and what not since the hack years back because another breech would basically sink them. Withdrawals from the platform are now pretty much instant thanks to the 2FA system they have setup. I did the math on payouts to private wallet vs the tax on one time withdrawals and seems its slightly better to use the NH wallet and then pull off to your main wallet when you get over a certain amount. Yes I hold my own private keys and if they did go bust the amount i usually float in there wouldn't wreck my day much either way.

I use NH for simplicity. I don't have much in the way of mining right now either as I offloaded the few cards I had in anticipation for the next gen lineup. I'm tired of chasing a few extra pennies to argue differences over. I make way more money on way less hardware than mining anyways. A $50 phone with a $10 service plan makes more than any single video card out there each month. To each their own...

I was screwing around with the EVGA XC3 Ultra I just picked up, and I can't get anywhere near your numbers using those power limits. What are you using to set the power limits? Precision X1? Afterburner?

I have it set to 72% and I get something like 92MH/s (250W or so). If I drop it to 70 I get around 80MH/s at 235W or so, and at 65, I get 65MH/s at 220W. I tried dropping the core down -250 and only boosting the memory to 950.

Ideally, I'd like to figure out how to get up near that 90MH/s with ~200W, and then let it run when I'm at work to heat the room.

Ugh, why people are still using NH is beyond me. There are so many more alternatives which are more reputable out there. I hope you have it set up to send the payouts to a non-NH wallet, at least.

It's 2020. NH is fine.

I was screwing around with the EVGA XC3 Ultra I just picked up, and I can't get anywhere near your numbers using those power limits. What are you using to set the power limits? Precision X1? Afterburner?

I have it set to 72% and I get something like 92MH/s (250W or so). If I drop it to 70 I get around 80MH/s at 235W or so, and at 65, I get 65MH/s at 220W. I tried dropping the core down -250 and only boosting the memory to 950.

Ideally, I'd like to figure out how to get up near that 90MH/s with ~200W, and then let it run when I'm at work to heat the room.

Try modding the volts down with nvidia inspector (leave the power limit at 100). The cards will assume certain clock speeds given the particular voltage. Also, use nvidia profile inspector to force P0 mode on the card. When mining, I've noticed Nvidia cards run in P2 by default which drops the memory down a bit.

In a batch file for the volt softmod: (note that the volts are milliwatts, so .75v = 750000 or .8v = 800000 + the mem/core are offsets from the base clocks)
Code:
SET VOLT=
SET MEMORY=
SET CORE=

SET GPU0=-lockVoltagePoint:0,%VOLT% -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,%CORE% -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,%MEMORY%

nvidiaInspector.exe %GPU0%

Last edited:
It's 2020. NH is fine.

Try modding the volts down with nvidia inspector (leave the power limit at 100). The cards will assume certain clock speeds given the particular voltage. Also, use nvidia profile inspector to force P0 mode on the card. When mining, I've noticed Nvidia cards run in P2 by default which drops the memory down a bit.

In a batch file for the volt softmod: (note that the volts are milliwatts, so .75v = 750000 or .8v = 800000
Code:
SET VOLT=
SET MEMORY=
SET CORE=

SET GPU0=-lockVoltagePoint:0,%VOLT% -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,%CORE% -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,%MEMORY%

nvidiaInspector.exe %GPU0%

Downloaded it. Voltage is greyed out in the program. Mine was set at P0. I'll have to play around with a BAT file when I get more time.

Downloaded it. Voltage is greyed out in the program. Mine was set at P0. I'll have to play around with a BAT file when I get more time.

Won't have access via the GUI. Will need to do the cmd line route.

I've been able to replicate the OP in that I get around 93-96 MH/s at 246W in the miner. My settings are different, but the power slider doesn't seem to have the effect of a hard cap on the power draw (like on an AMD card for example). I have mine set to 72% and it fluctuates all over the place usually between 77 and 85%, but the miner shows 246W.

I'm sure there's room to play with. This was just a quick and dirty test.

I've been able to replicate the OP in that I get around 93-96 MH/s at 246W in the miner. My settings are different, but the power slider doesn't seem to have the effect of a hard cap on the power draw (like on an AMD card for example). I have mine set to 72% and it fluctuates all over the place usually between 77 and 85%, but the miner shows 246W.

I'm sure there's room to play with. This was just a quick and dirty test.

Yeah i get fluctuations in the power target as well and most of the time I see it hovering around 70% reported when i have it set to 60% on the slider. This happens with other cards I run as well but maybe not as much as I see with the 3080. I mostly see around 230w reported at this power level with -300 on the core and +1000 memory. Remember the power needed for various boost levels is going to vary from card to card. I have some 1080ti's that eat ~ 20 watts more power than others at the same power target / boost clock levels and this seems to be down to silicone quality and what not. Your results seem to be in the same ballpark and you could probably get lower power levels by tweaking your voltage if it matters to you. I have been lazy and not bothered of late. I can see that the overall power level / voltage curve is reduced quite a bit just by setting the negative core clock offset.

That's about where I settled. -300 on Core and +1000 on memory. The power limit slider is essentially useless. I moved it all over from 60-75% and it does nothing. I get the same ~250W board power with the same hash rate. I suppose I could lower the core speed further, but there's diminishing returns there as you start to drop hash rate if you go too low.

I tried -700 = 65MH/s at 200W
-600 = 67MH/s at 205W
-500 = 94MH/s at 280W for some reason

Maybe I'll give Afterburner a try instead of the EVGA Precision X1.

Last edited:
Back