3070ti suddenly will not come off idle in games?

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
So I thought it was my one old game that has always been a struggle with newer GPUs, but now I've tried several others today and I've found my 3070ti is absolutely STUCK at around 345mhz in games. Interestingly, graphing the GPU clocks as soon as you close the game and go back to the desktop it shoots right up to 1860mhz like you would have expected under the 3D workload.

I have just gotten done DDU-ing and doing a clean install of the latest drivers with no geforce experience. This is a big, big problem because 345mhz with a 4k monitor isn't even a slideshow, its like a powerpoint with an old professor lecturing for 10 minutes on each frame. I literally cannot play a game right now.

Here is a graph, the blue arrow shows where I turned off the game (in this case it was GW2).

gpu.jpg

Just a note: I can use the EVGA clock lock function and the games perform normally, so the card can boost just fine. The problem is the whole computer is acting like ain't shit going on when I launch a game.

Last edited:
Have you tried changing the power management mode for that game?

No, and its all games that I have no matter what. Even benchmarks are doing it. Nothing seems to make the card actually run, and this just happened in the last few days.

So I thought it was my one old game that has always been a struggle with newer GPUs, but now I've tried several others today and I've found my 3070ti is absolutely STUCK at around 345mhz in games. Interestingly, graphing the GPU clocks as soon as you close the game and go back to the desktop it shoots right up to 1860mhz like you would have expected under the 3D workload.

I have just gotten done DDU-ing and doing a clean install of the latest drivers with no geforce experience. This is a big, big problem because 345mhz with a 4k monitor isn't even a slideshow, its like a powerpoint with an old professor lecturing for 10 minutes on each frame. I literally cannot play a game right now.

Here is a graph, the blue arrow shows where I turned off the game (in this case it was GW2).

View attachment 496471

Just a note: I can use the EVGA clock lock function and the games perform normally, so the card can boost just fine. The problem is the whole computer is acting like ain't shit going on when I launch a game.
Try powering off the PC and powering it back on after 30 seconds (not just a standard reboot). See if that jars the bug out.

Edit - by chance you don't have an integrated GPU, and you don't have the monitor plugged into the motherboards iGPU output do you?

Try powering off the PC and powering it back on after 30 seconds (not just a standard reboot). See if that jars the bug out.

Edit - by chance you don't have an integrated GPU, and you don't have the monitor plugged into the motherboards iGPU output do you?

I shut the PC off every day and my CPU is a KF SKU so I do not have an iGPU.

Literally my graphics card up and decided not to run game clocks any more, thats it. I'm guessing it started around the last Nvidia driver update because I've been sick for about a week and haven't really used the computer, so I also tried rolling back a few driver versions and no dice.

did you remove x1 before using ddu? maybe try that or swapping x1 for afterburner.

did you remove x1 before using ddu? maybe try that or swapping x1 for afterburner.

Its the other way around, I didn't have anything installed at all until I was trying to graph the clock speed. I don't typically bother with overclocking any more so I never install AB or others these days.

It really seems like Windows/the drivers are not recognizing when a 3D workload is launched. What a pain.

ah ok. windows xbox stuff turned off? got restore points enabled?

I don't use any of that. Even if I did, I don't think it should have any effect on something so stupid? This is a real head scratcher.

Check wnidows updates and see if anything was installed in the last week.

Windows update was apparently broken until I went into it manually, because it hadn't run since 3/29. I did however get a massive cascade of updates after I went in there to look.

I think my next step is to reinstall Windows on a spare drive and just rule out an issue there.

I don't use any of that. Even if I did, I don't think it should have any effect on something so stupid? This is a real head scratcher.
the xbox stuff could, as its running in the background possible trying to record and shit. the restore points were so you could go back a few days.

after current posts, maybe install the waiting updates and try again?! yes a fresh test install of windows on a spare drive would rule out software v hardware issues and is a good idea to try for the 30-40min it will take.

Ok after lots of testing, what I found is that if I have a browser tab open with a video playing it will not put the graphics card into 3D mode, but if I switch the tab so the video is still playing but not on the front then the games work fine, and the behavior matches even if the video is paused. I brought out a Windows 10 drive and it doesn't seem to have the same issue so I think its just under Windows 11.

Back