3000MHz C15 vs 3600MHz C16-18 for 5900x?

HighYield

Gawd
I’m moving from a 1950x 1st gen threadripper to a 5900x on a x570 Asus Crosshair VIII hero. Would I be really gimping the system by trying to recycle my old ram 4x16gb at 3000MHz C15 compared to another kit like 2x32 gb 3600 C16 or 18? Seems like the performance difference might only be a few percent…but I’m not so familiar with the new system and could be wrong about it. Link to old ram:

DOMINATOR® PLATINUM 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit (corsair.com)

If a good bit of performance could be obtained with the faster module any recommendations? I’d like to start at 2x32gb to leave open the possibility of a future upgrade (don’t need it now but don’t know what things will be like later).

I was looking at Gskill F4-3600C18D-64GTZN vs 3600MHz C18 ~$360 at NewEgg but that C18 latency seems a bit slow. Also I’ve seen quite a bit of ram at 1.45v that seemed really high, is that pretty standard on systems these days?

You are not going to take a significant dive running memory at 3000 MT/s. Depending on exactly what's running, how memory intensive it is, and how much traffic over the fabric it causes, you might see anywhere from no change to a few percent. With the improved memory controller in the 5900X, you might even be able to run your existing memory a little faster.

Over-volting RAM is going to depend on the memory chips involved. 1.45 probably wouldn't bother samsung b-die. I wouldn't run my memory that high unless I were sure about whose chips are on the stick.

As for the C18 latency, remember that latency is in clock ticks. 3600 MT/s memory clocks at 1800 MHz, which works out to 10 ns latency; exactly the same as your 3000C15. (Working in GHz/nanoseconds, 1/1.800 times 18 is 10 ns, as is 1/1.500 times 15.)

Test it to see how high it goes on X570. That chipset may net 3200 @ CAS 16 or better on that memory. Just saying test first spend money if unsatisfactory results.

Test it to see how high it goes on X570. That chipset may net 3200 @ CAS 16 or better on that memory. Just saying test first spend money if unsatisfactory results.

Exactly. I would at least try overclocking the memory before I spent a fortune on new memory.

overclocking

Exactly. I would at least try overclocking the memory before I spent a fortune on new memory.
I'm way to frugal to blow money for no benefit. I wasn't clear in the top post in that the threadripper system won't be totally scrapped. I'll use it to replace an ancient i3 2105 system that is so painfully slow I'm not sure why I have kept it this long. It's overkill for the applications that it will be used for, but the system is still in good shape. I'm thinking I can keep 2 sticks of the 3000 in the threadripper (and see if I could get more performance there now that I'm down to just 2 sticks from 4). My older son who has his own system a ryzen 7 3700 is sporting 2400C14 memory perhaps he could get a boost with the 3000 speed ram particularly if it was pushed. Looks like I'll have some fun this weekend tinkering around a bit.

... I'm thinking I can keep 2 sticks of the 3000 in the threadripper (and see if I could get more performance there now that I'm down to just 2 sticks from 4).

Probably not ... threadripper is quad channel, unlike the dual channel of the desktop CPUs. It's still going to look like racer boy next to the old i3.

Back