3 Slot "MATX" motherboard in Ncase M1

When people say bigger motherboards don't fit with SFX bracket, they only fit with ATX bracket, that obviously means it will only fit with ATX PSU?

But how can that be when SFX PSU is much smaller? Or am I misunderstanding something basic. I'm thinking of buying ncase.
The SFX bracket is mounted lengthwise in the case, while the ATX bracket is mounted across the width. See this render (old, but still relevant):

x88GXDV.jpg

Using the ATX bracket frees up some room between the motherboard and PSU, which is needed for some boards that are deeper than mini-ITX (170mm). It does block the front half of the side bracket, however.

Keep in mind this only means you have to use the ATX bracket - not an ATX PSU per se. Some SFX power supplies come with an ATX adapter plate, which you can use to mount them to the ATX bracket.

oh, so you can use SFX psu with ATX adapter plate?
I have a silverstone ST45SF-G (450 watt sfx w/modular cables).
Can I use it with ATX bracket?
It says "Included SFX to ATX bracket for use in ATX case."
I must have thrown it away years ago though lol

I just came across this thread. Are there any of these boards with the 170 chipset for skylake? It would be nice to have a full size wireless card in the third expansion slot.

I just came across this thread. Are there any of these boards with the 170 chipset for skylake? It would be nice to have a full size wireless card in the third expansion slot.
On the hunt for a Z170 mATX board to fix this myself, not looking like any exist :(

I just came across this thread.
Are there any of these boards with the 170 chipset for Skylake?
It would be nice to have a full size wireless card in the third expansion slot.
You will find the largest selection of 3-slot mATX mobo (226 mm x 170-174mm) are the H110 chipset.

This is largely due to the popular Slimline cases with 2-3 slots (old HP s5000 series), that were budget/entry level.
HP's initial usage in this size (a decade ago) was with AMD and their mDTX / 2-slot mobos.

I have an HP s5000 series case that has the Intel DH87RL (4-slot mATX), with WiFi on-board,
BUT only 2 accessible slots.

The Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H-GSM is one example. (GSM - Gigabyte Stable Model)
Micro ATX Form Factor: 226mm x 174mm (4mm wider than Necere recommends with SFX)
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1151 - GA-H110M-S2H-GSM (rev. 1.0)

With the departure of Intel from desktop motherboards in 2013/2014 ...
I focus on the Gigabyte GSM offerings.
That said, there are "gaps" that Taiwan designers still miss, due to heavy gaming focus.
===
The other option, is to use an mITX board, that has WiFi already -- Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WiFi (rev. 2.0)
Mini-ITX Form Factor: 170mm x 170mm
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1151 - GA-Z170N-WIFI (rev. 2.0)

I have the earlier Gigabyte H97N-WIFI (rev. 1.1) mobo in an HP Pavilion Slimline S5000 case.
Mini-ITX Form Factor: 170mm x 170mm
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-H97N-WIFI (rev. 1.1)
The 2 antennas are hid inside the case (behind plastic panels -- just like laptop makers),
for integrared WiFi and Bluetooth support.
====
Biostar produces a true mDTX, 2-slot H110 motherboard, H110MHV3
Size (mDTX, mATX, Extended ITX): 190mm x 170mm
H110MHV3 :: Motherboard :: BIOSTAR

greg

Last edited:
MSI has three (3) motherboards with the H170 chipset and 3-slots (expansion).

H170M PRO xxx (VDH; VDH D3; DH)
Differences are memory type (DDR3 vs DDR4) and back-panel and internal header connectors (USB, video, etc.)

Dimensions: 9.3 in. x 9.0 in. (23.5 cm x 22.8 cm)
These H170 boards are TOO WIDE (>226 mm)

The MSI H110 chipset motherboards (traditional economic line) are also too wide (> 226mm).

What about list of 3 slot mitx case? So far I found new 3 slot case is Antec Cube design by Razer, just saw it at Frys and love it!

What about list of 3 slot mitx case? So far I found new 3 slot case is Antec Cube design by Razer, just saw it at Frys and love it!
It's kinda large (compared to the M1) the PSU is mounted on the back where it is on the large cases...

If you're giving up 1 PCI-E slot, you probably would want an internal PSU.

Hi all, slightly off-topic, but this seems to be the thread to ask... Is there any chance of fitting 2 full length GPUs in the M1? If so which MATX card?

If you are seeking SLI or Crossfire for gaming then it could be more difficult as those cards are usually dual slot. You'd most likely have to look at single slot designs which are only available to buy on for the rx460 and a yet to be released galax gtx 1070. With those cards you are looking at higher temps and higher noise.

It could be possible though if a motherboard is or could be designed in such a manner.

A additional possibility is by spliting pcie lanes in what is known at Bifurcation. But that's a pretty difficult thing to pull off. Though it has been done.

Another idea would be to use an m.2 slot.

If you are seeking SLI or Crossfire for gaming then it could be more difficult as those cards are usually dual slot. You'd most likely have to look at single slot designs which are only available to buy on for the rx460 and a yet to be released galax gtx 1070. With those cards you are looking at higher temps and higher noise.

It could be possible though if a motherboard is or could be designed in such a manner.

A additional possibility is by spliting pcie lanes in what is known at Bifurcation. But that's a pretty difficult thing to pull off. Though it has been done.

Another idea would be to use an m.2 slot.

This is for a compact deep learning box. I'm hoping to fit two Maxwell Titan X's in a SFF case. Anything less than a Titan X is not really acceptable due to memory. I'm guessing this is probably impossible? I'd love to get the Cerebrus, but I can't really wait for them to get to production.

This is for a compact deep learning box. I'm hoping to fit two Maxwell Titan X's in a SFF case. Anything less than a Titan X is not really acceptable due to memory. I'm guessing this is probably impossible? I'd love to get the Cerebrus, but I can't really wait for them to get to production.
Yeah, you need at least a proper mATX case with four expansion slots for that.

Asrock B250M-HDV (3 slots)
Form Factor: 8.9-in x 7.2-inch (English); 226 mm x 183 mm (Metric)
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B250M-HDV/index.asp#Specification

Asrock B150M-DVS R2.0 (3 slots)
Form Factor: 8.9-in x 7.2-inch (English); 226 mm x 183 mm (Metric)
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B150M-DVS R2.0/index.asp

Asrock B150M-HDS (2 slots)
Form Factor: 7.5-in x 7.4-inch (English); 191 mm x 188 mm (Metric)
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B150M-HDS/index.asp

Asrock B150M-HDV (3 slots)
Form Factor: 9.1-in x 7.4-inch (English); 231 mm x 188 mm (Metric)
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B150M-HDV/index.asp

Flex ATX specification, no larger than: 9.0-in × 7.5-inch (English); 229 mm × 191 mm (Metric)
http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\FlexATXaddn1_0.pdf

The B150M-HDV board would likely not fit (> 226 mm) inside NCASE.
You would need to use the ATX bracket for the NCASE M1.

Last edited:
With liquid cooling, you can physically cut the second dvi connector off to make it single slot, if you're comfortable doing so.

I found the GA-B250M-DS3H , the twin of the GA-150M-DS3H has 4 DIMM slots and fits. 22.6cm x 19.3cm

I found the GA-B250M-DS3H , the twin of the GA-150M-DS3H has 4 DIMM slots and fits. 22.6cm x 19.3cm

I bought one of these, was thinking of putting my 6700K, 4x16GB DDR4, about 2 TB total of SSD storage and a 4TB HDD if there would be any space left for it. Got stuck with my GPU, Gainward GTX 1070 Phoenix Golden Sample, impossible to get it into the case so thinking of getting another GPU instead.
PSU is a Silverstone 450W SFX mounted with the ATX bracket in the front. Fits well.

This is how it looks at least. I love it. :)
QBCmK3P.jpg

I bought one of these, was thinking of putting my 6700K, 4x16GB DDR4, about 2 TB total of SSD storage and a 4TB HDD if there would be any space left for it. PSU is a Silverstone 450W SFX mounted with the ATX bracket in the front. Fits well.

Yes, you would need to use the ATX bracket for the power supply.

Gigabyte GA-250M-DS3H (rev 1.0)
Form Factor: 226mm x 193mm
http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B250M-DS3H-rev-10#kf

Yes, you would need to use the ATX bracket for the power supply.

Gigabyte GA-250M-DS3H (rev 1.0)
Form Factor: 226mm x 193mm
http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B250M-DS3H-rev-10#kf

True, I have the PSU mounted on that bracket as we speak. There's space for at least a single 2,5" drive between the PSU and front of the case. Due to the placement of the power connector on my Silverstone, I've got a right-angled power adapter on the way.

I'm really tempted trying to get everything into the case tomorrow. My old Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X should fit more easliy too, not as fancy as the GTX 1070 though but I just want to get it to start up and see how it runs. :).

I guess the thread would've been interested in pictures of it, 3-slot mATX builds seem to be a lot less common than the ITX-builds after all.

In my line of work it's not the three PCIe slots, it's the four DIMM slots that matter and matter a lot: it means 64GB is on in a small case. But I am past that and considering getting (I am late) on the dual E5 2670 train to get 128GB because 64GB is tight.

In my line of work it's not the three PCIe slots, it's the four DIMM slots that matter and matter a lot: it means 64GB is on in a small case. But I am past that and considering getting (I am late) on the dual E5 2670 train to get 128GB because 64GB is tight.
With the X99-itx and a Xeon you can get 2x128GB. Expensive but doable.

Urgh. Sure. 1800 dollars for a 2x64GB DDR4 kit and let's not even talk about a 2x128GB one. A 4x32GB DDR4 kit is only $1356 but what's worse, an entire freakin' workstation (or eBay) with 128GB DDR3 is also $1300 bucks... there's a limit to what one is willing to pay to go small factor.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I finally got to build my Ncase M1 build.
Z8ZkM2B.jpg

PimOrdL.jpg

Ncase M4 v.4 with the right-angled power cable.
6700K + Noctua NH-D9L + Gigabyte B250-DS3H (shown in the post above).
Two kits of white 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (speced 3000MHz but unusable on this chipet+CPU so running them at 2133MHz). 64GB total.
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB along with a Crucial MX300 1050 GB and a Intel 535 at around 500GB. Was going to use a 4TB 3,5" WD drive but it got to close to the motherboard. Might get a 2TB 2,5" HDD instead, shouldn't be a problem. 2TB SSD storage in total as of now, which is good enough.
A newly bought Zotac Geforce GTX 1070 Mini, 21cm long. I tried to get my Gainward GTX 1070 Phoenix in it but it's way to big. After a few benchmarks, I haven't lost much performance anyway. :) I might put in an old Asus Xonar PCI-e x1 sound card depending on how I will tolerate the onboard audio. Might get an external DAC anyway but it's nice having that third slot free for another card. A better network card for example. :)
The PSU is Silverstones old/first 450W SFX, not modular in anyway but works fine. Using the ATX-bracket due to the size of the motherboard.

I think that's everything in it. Few compromises, small and silent (except while gaming, the GPU cooler gets somewhat audible). It's kind of my dream PC too. Will be nice to try it out in the weekend, too few hours for this in the week.

Thanks for sharing all .

Since the only ITX board coming for AM4 is the BioStar B350 ..any forecast of a MATX that would work in the NCase or Q10 ??

Kenny

would either of these m-atx mobo's work in an Ncase M1?

GA-Z270MX-Gaming5.jpg

Gigabyte GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5 mATX
ROGSTRIXZ270GGAMING.jpg

ASUS ROG STRIX Z270G GAMING mATX

would either of these m-atx mobo's work in an Ncase M1?

Gigabyte GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5 mATX

ASUS ROG STRIX Z270G GAMING mATX

No, they're both too long, notice they've each got 4 pcie slots, not 3.

No, they're both too long, notice they've each got 4 pcie slots, not 3.

got it, thanks. I was wondering if I could pull off a hackintosh with 64 gigs of ram inside of an Ncase m1. Don't need a GPU

Last edited:
You could mod the Titans to be single slot with water cooling, then mount them both in the lower two slots with bifurcated risers and hope a single 240 rad on the side could handle all that. Alternatively you could look into forgoing a res and attempt to mount a 92mm rad on the back in its place for the cpu. None of your options here are easy, but that doesn't mean it isn't doable.

From the case designer: "he maximum depth of the motherboard that will fit when using the ATX PSU bracket is ~196mm. With the SFX bracket it's ~173mm."

So the above mainboard will not fit unfortunately.

Is it only the atx psu that interferes with longer motherboards, or is it the bracket itself? Because if it's the former, you might be able to get that extra length with an adapter to use an sfx psu with the atx bracket.

Back