2x14TB drives both won't show up in Windows/Synology

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
I recently purchased two brand new 14TB WD DC HC530 drives, and I got them in the mail today.

I hooked them up to my PC via USB dock. They either don't show up in Disk Management, or if they do, it's as a 751GB drive that won't initialize with CRC errors.

I hooked them up using a WD USB interface (pull from a WD Easystore), and they freeze the computer.

I hooked them up direct using a SATA cable and SATA power cable, and they don't show up in Windows or Bios. I double checked with another hdd and the cable is good. I also tried using a molex to SATA power adapter in case there is the 3V power issue, and still nothing. I tried this in 3 different computers all with the same results (Intel B360, Intel Z370, Intel Z490 chipsets).

I put them in my Synology NAS, and they don't show up there either.

What am I missing?

Here's the Model number: WUH721414ALE604
W- Western Digital
U - Ultrastar
H - Helium
72 - 7200 RPM
1414 - 14TB
AL - Generation and Height
E6 - 512k sectors / SATA 6 (not SAS)
0 - Power Disable Pin 3 support
4 - No Encryption

I find it hard to believe I got TWO brand new drives and both of them are duds. Any ideas?

Last edited:
those drive is from external hard drive. they open the case and get the hard drive out.
u need to use molex to sata drive in order to work.

those drive is from external hard drive. they open the case and get the hard drive out.
u need to use molex to sata drive in order to work.

It wasn't an external HDD. It came sealed in an anti-static bag (probably an OEM unit).

i got the samething

it works with molex to sata cable or combine molex to sata with sata data cable

I tried both ways. It would occasionally read with CRC errors, so I'm assuming they were just bad drives, and it wasn't a pin issue.

But keep in mind CRC's could just be a cable or SATA header issue.

I tried them with multiple cables just to double-check. I just thought it was strange how it would work in literally nothing I tried. It didn't even show up in the Synology. The only way I could get it to show up at all was to use an old USB 2.0 dock.

I also purchased a couple of these drives and had similar issues. They worked fine in a USB 3.0 dock that I routinely use for a 1-pass disk wipe. When I connected them to my server, nothing. As with the video I tried a molex to SATA power adapter and the problem went away. The drives are working fine now, quite wonderfully actually, but I hadn't seen that STH thread and now that I have, I'm not sure what to do.

I also purchased a couple of these drives and had similar issues. They worked fine in a USB 3.0 dock that I routinely use for a 1-pass disk wipe. When I connected them to my server, nothing. As with the video I tried a molex to SATA power adapter and the problem went away. The drives are working fine now, quite wonderfully actually, but I hadn't seen that STH thread and now that I have, I'm not sure what to do.

I have found that the Synology works fine with drives requiring the adapter. I have used several shucked drives in them. That's why I'm thinking there was a problem other than just the power issue in my case.

By the way who sells external hard drives with a DC HC530 inside?

I don't believe any externals are using the DC HC530, almost all of the WD Externals use white label drives now and have the 3.3v pin disable which you can work around with molex adaptors, kapton tape or hotswap bays if your PSU isn't compatible.

The WD_Black D10 12TB has the DC HC520 inside, that's the best I've found for containing higher end drives. They're a PITA to shuck compared to the other WD externals though, broke a pry tool trying to get the internal clips out so I finally gave up and just used pliers to yank them.

Back