2x PCIE4 m.2 SSD at the same time on x570?

dvsman

2[H]4U
NOTE: Running latest bios

As per the title, is anyone running 2x PCIE4 m.2 SSDs on an x570 mobo?

So my main gaming rig (in sig) is using an Asrock Taichi x570. If I use one m.2 PCIE4 ssd (doesn't matter which slot, I've swapped in and out all 3 of them), it works without issue.

If I stick another one in, only one is detected and shows up in the UEFI/BIOS. Not a big deal, since I can run with only one but getting two (or three, so I can raid down the road) would be nice.

So my main gaming rig (in sig) is using an Asrock Taichi x570. If I use one m.2 PCIE4 ssd (doesn't matter which slot, I've swapped in and out all 3 of them), it works without issue.

If I stick another one in, only one is detected and shows up in the UEFI/BIOS. Not a big deal, since I can run with only one but getting two (or three, so I can raid down the road) would be nice.
Did you initialize it in windows disk manager? It should still show up in disk manager.

You can raid two NVME drives on X570. Bit of a pain to get the drivers setup but worth it to me. Been running raid 0 since I got it a couple years ago and no issues at all. Very resilient as well. This install has seen more than its share of CTD via ram ocing and testing and hasn't been corrupted once.

I'm running 4 different NVME on my x570 Taichi, mixed 3.0 and 4.0.

I had to pay close attention to the lane diagram to get them all working simultaneously (along with my videocard) but it's been flawless for many months now.

Basically my riser card and videocard had to be in particular 16x slots, and then all 3 of my m.2 slots. When I tried to use the (more convenient) 3rd 16x slot for a riser card, it wouldn't read it if all 3 m.2 slots were filled.

Slots 1 and 2 shouldn't have any issues with contention, but the third slot will be disabled if you use the third PCIe x16 slot (pulls from the same 4 lanes). I'm not sure why you would be having problems getting a second drive to work in the second slot though...

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Right now I have a drive in m.2 slot 1 (top one) and 2 (middle one). The only PCIE card is the GPU (EVGA 3090) in the top PCIE slot. Nothing else is plugged in.

The M.2 #1 is a PCIE4 SSD from Microcenter (2 tb Inland Performance) and the M.2 #2 is a 2tb Samsung 980 Pro. If I have only the Inland drive plugged in, its detected and works fine. If I plug in the Samsung by itself, it works fine. If I plug both in, only the Samsung is detected in bios.

The strange thing is sometimes - every few boot cycles - the Inland drive will show up as well (if using file explorer) but won't be accessible. You can click but it just says you don't have access.

In disk management, nothing shows except the Samsung. But once in a blue moon, when the Inland drive shows up in the file explorer, it also shows up in disk management - but again, you can't access it i.e. it won't give you any options to delete or format or resize or delete partition, etc.

I'm thinking the Inland m.2 is a early / first gen PCIE4 drive and might just be wonky or something. I'm in the middle of another build, so waiting to finish that one before going back to troubleshoot my gaming rig more.

I might end up buying another 980 (since its latest gen) and seeing if that will work / fix the problem.

Back