2nd Tier Makers Unlikely To Ship Fermi Cards Until April

HardOCP News

[H] News
DigiTimes, citing sources from graphics card manufacturers, say that lack of complete reference board designs will keep second tier board makers from mass shipping Fermi based cards until April. The article also mentions pricing with the GTX 480 at $679.99 and GTX 470 at $499.99, which is in line with what we saw earlier this week.

The sources expect Nvidia will give supply priority to first-tier makers or makers that only produce Nvidia cards. Listings offering cards from XFX and PNY with GTX 480 models priced at around US$679.99 and GTX 470 at about US$499.99 were briefly available at some online retailers, but have since been taken down. PNY contacted Digitimes to stress that it is not offering pre-orders for Fermi cards at this time, which implies that the listings were the result of miscommunication in the company's channel.

That is way too expensive! I will just hold on to my GTX 285's for the forseable future.

600+ for a video card that is like putting a molten rock in ure PC and consumes more power than the CPU and all the other components combined. Where do i stand in line for this?

graphics quality matters, but so does power consumption, and heat, and most importantly these days cost. I'll be waiting for the next generation cards, or take another begrudging look at ATI.

Well if this is the correct price points, Nvidia solved the supply issues pretty easily. :p

i wonder what kinda performance 679 gets ya?

lets see some real numbers already!!!

$680? WHAT?

I was expecting $450 or $500. It sounds like my GTX 285's are going to have to endure.

Maybe there will be a trade-in or other "loyalty" program. If the GTX 480 is as powerful as SLI GTX 285's, I'll jump on it.. but if it's anything less...

Well, the article is quoting Nvidia on saying that they've not released any pricing information, so the pricing we've seen probably is fake.

We'll have to wait and see, but I cant imagine Nvidia smoking so much dope, that they would even attempt to charge that much at this point, given the hardware changes/costs over the last year, especially.

The final prices have not be decided yet. I would suggest 449-499 on the 470 and 679 to 699 on the 480.

Well, the article is quoting Nvidia on saying that they've not released any pricing information, so the pricing we've seen probably is fake.

We'll have to wait and see, but I cant imagine Nvidia smoking so much dope, that they would even attempt to charge that much at this point, given the hardware changes/costs over the last year, especially.

Thats Nvidias standard pricing. Why wouldn't it be legit??

What makes the GTX480 worth $679? I though that price point was reserved for dual GPU cards??

What's the hardware differences between the 470 and 480?

I know I won't be rushing out to abuse the credit card at that price.

Wasn't there a GTX 7800 that sold for over $500 at one time?

I guess nvidia can try this 679 price point, but the card better be unreal or there will be a short line at that booth.

From what I've seen (and it isn't much) most demos so far run two cards in SLi to get enough horsepower........so two 470s at $499 would be tough as well.

I hope it's all bullshizzle.:eek:

Yeha, the 7800gtx 512MB and then the 8800gtx ultra.

Of course ATI did have the x850xt pte or whatever it was called, about as bad.

Come again? nVidia is clueless if these price points are real. A single GPU card stacked against the 5970? :rolleyes:

I've been waiting on Fermi to decide what my next card will be, and it's looking like AMD's refresh, whatever it is, will end up in my rig. I'm not devoted to either camp, but I've always preferred nVidia's control panel over AMD's. But I don't like it that much!

I hope [H] gets their review samples soon. I really have to see just how much LSD nVidia is on.

Based on this, unless those cards show something seriously more impressive than what we've heard they're capable of, I'll finally have a good reason to go back to ATI on my next upgrade.

No way is a card worth that much when a 5870 can already do so much and costs under $400.

hmmm, just thinking how much a dual gf100 card would cost?

oh yeah, they can't make one....

This has already been proven fake, no price has been given yet.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?act=announce&f=40&id=27
QUOTE (NVIDIA)
"NVIDIA and our launch partners have not released pricing or pre-order information yet. Any Web sites claiming to be taking pre-orders should not be considered legitimate."

That doesn't mean the prices posted are wrong. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they were the correct ones given that it's not uncommon for places to make mistakes like that and start trying to sell products earlier.

All that means is that there is no certainty of their authenticity. You sure have a very loose definition of "proof" MADOGRE.

Yeah the 7800GTX 512MB was expensive, but it was also a limited production, limited stock, stop-gap product which wasn't available for more then a couple months. When I did an EVGA step-up to it back in 2006, the MSRP was $699.99.

Still, if NVIDIA plans to sell the GTX480 for $679.99 it better be neck and neck with ATI 5970 which sells for similar and completely decimate the 5870. Since early performance leaks seem to suggest the GTX480 is nowhere near that powerful, I doubt NVIDIA would price themselves out of the market.

And here I was hoping that the 5xxx series cards would come down in price soonish. Could have been just in time for my tax refund money. ;)

Someone already posted this, but to everyone whom didn't see that, the prices are fake. Nvidia has posted that in a couple places, I also saw it on EVGA's forum. Interesting they mention XFX and PNY, since I know XFX was the brand for the GTX 480 for the SabrePC listing. I didn't check PNY's site, but a few hours ago just to do it I went to XFX to see if they mention a pre-order. They don't, just current cards. No mention of Fermi as far as buying one.

I find it amusing that everyone is balking at the price but fails to remember that the GTX 280 debuted at $659.99.

480 would have to match 5970 performance at that price.

It's going to be an interesting launch.

I find it amusing that everyone is balking at the price but fails to remember that the GTX 280 debuted at $659.99.

...and that price was stupidly insane as well, and the reason I kept my 2 x 8800GTX's for as long as I have. :D

They've more than paid for themselves in all the years I've used them. I've got no complaints.

March is gonna be an interesting month. I want to replace my old cards with a nice new one to go with the rest of an i7 build, but I'm pretty sure I'll be going 5870 this time around unless [H] puts up a review that shows me why a 480 is worth whatever price they end up charging for it. I really prefer NVidia drivers, always have, but price/performance matters a hell of a lot too, and right now, AMD/ATI has the lead big time.

By the time Newegg gouges for stock, they will be running $50 more than MSRP. 480 for $749.

/happens every time.

By the time Newegg gouges for stock, they will be running $50 more than MSRP. 480 for $749.

/happens every time.

So what? That's the beauty of the free market system. They can ask what they want. We as consumers should do our duty and not purchase at that price point if we want the price to come down.

Actually, newegg's pattern usually is:
- first super small batch of cards is sold at MSRP so the bleeding edge earlier adopters post happy things on the forums.
- then subsequent batches of popular cards are sold at "set by demand" higher prices. ;)

Back