matTKO

n00b
Transformer-Case-Main.jpg

The case has two form factors, 7l desktop and 20l tower, and three base layouts (two for tower and one for desktop).
I plan to use desktop form factor for APU builds or builds with entry-level GPUs. The tower form factor is for mid to high-end gaming GPUs and maybe even for water cooling if I ever decide to go that route.

desktop.jpg
tower-rotated.jpg
tower-sandwich.jpg

Design goals I have for the case:
  • wide compatibility with standardized components;
  • small form factor;
  • sleek and elegant looks;
  • tower with vents only on the back and bottom panels, without visible screws and cables;
  • desktop can be used as monitor stand.

Transformer-Case.jpg
Desktop-Isometric-Front.jpg
Desktop-Isometric-Back.jpg
Desktop-Front.jpg
Desktop-Side.jpg
Desktop-Top.jpg
Tower-Isometric-Front.jpg
Tower-Isometric-Back.jpg
Tower-Front.jpg
Tower-Back.jpg
Tower-Side.jpg
Tower-Top.jpg

Technical data and component compatibility:
  • tower dimensions: 444mm x 225mm x 205mm (height x width x depth), 20l volume;
  • desktop dimensions: 70mm x 444mm x 225mm (height x width x depth), 7l volume;
  • material: aluminium (undecided on finish -current rendered photos are with brushed aluminium);
  • motherboard support: mini-ITX;
  • power supply compatibility: SFX, SFX-L (both tower and desktop form factor) and ATX (only tower).

Component compatibility for tower in rotated 90° layout:
  • CPU cooler height: ≤ 181mm (without case fans on the back panel);
  • GPU length: ≤ 376mm (with 60mm free space for motherboard and GPU cable management);
  • GPU height: ≤ 59mm (2.9 slots).

Component compatibility for tower in sandwich layout:
  • 205mm can be split between CPU cooler height and GPU height;
  • GPU length: ≤ 376mm (with 60mm free space for motherboard and GPU cable management).

Component compatibility for desktop:
  • CPU cooler height: ≤49mm;
  • GPU length: ≤ 220mm;
  • GPU height: ≤ 52mm (2.5 slots);
  • GPU width: ≤ 130mm (with installed SFX/SFX-L PSU).

Transformer case has support for:
  • fans (2x 140mm or 4x 92mm back + 1x 140mm or 4x 92mm bottom), and
  • water cooling radiators (1x 280mm back + 1x 140mm bottom).
140mm-fan-cooling-isometric.jpg
92mm-fan-cooling-isometric.jpg
water-cooling-isometric.jpg

Size comparison:

Transformer-Case-with-Can.jpg
Tower-Front-with-Can.jpg
Desktop-Front-with-Can.jpg

Please contribute!
I am very excited that the project is nearing its palpable state and would like to collaborate with the community to make something truly great.

Here are the things I am having doubts/problems with and would like your advice/opinion:

1. Power button placement in tower form factor. Currently the button is at the bottom of the case. This is probably not great for functionality but it fits with minimalistic design.
  2. I have decided to present the case with these elongated honeycomb vents, which were inspired by a front grill from one of Ford's cars, but I am still going back and forth between this and my original idea. The original idea for the case in tower form factor was to make it look like a speaker. This means vents at the back would be either a honeycomb metal mesh or some sort of fabric.
  3. How to incorporate dust filters? Achieving positive air pressure will be difficult so I think dust filters will be necessary.
  4. What are the best practices for noise insulation and cable routing?
  5. What do you think should be added for the case to be more transformable and compatible with even more components?

Back