$23 - Tyan Thunder K8SD Pro Dual AMD Opteron Server Motherboard

w1retap

[H]F Junkie
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Dirt cheap.. Supports the old socket 940 Opteron 200 series single and dual core.

I built a retro rig last year off of a Tyan dual-940 board. It's badass.

Only downside with the K8SD is the lack of AGP.

20200809_093716~2.jpg

Yea there aren't a whole lot of options for this board. You could flash PC bios to a 6800GT PCI-X Mac G5 card, or use a PCI 9500GT. Other than that, a PCI-X to PCIe x4 riser could be used with a more modern card.

Yea there aren't a whole lot of options for this board. You could flash PC bios to a 6800GT PCI-X Mac G5 card, or use a PCI 9500GT. Other than that, a PCI-X to PCIe x4 riser could be used with a more modern card.
The PCI-X riser would be good enough for a GT 1030, which is electrically PCIe x4 anyway. It would also be close to fast enough for anything a quartet of Athlon64 cores could push. Cool board.

Holy crap, I had no idea a PCIe adapter even existed... Wow. Man I love StarTech. I'm running one of their USB 3.0 PCI cards in this 940 rig too.

My system has a 3850 HD AGP which keeps me happy. But still that's intriguing...

Last edited:
Buying one for a classic server for my older systems, i have an hp server here i can rip all the cpus and ram out of and swap right in

Well I just bought one too lol. I had hit the like button on the listing and the seller sent me a $10.50 offer. I bit. I think I'll put it in storage for a winter project since I already have a few dual CPU retro builds. :p

very retro groovy... would maybe make a nice plex server.. although my nvidia shield is doing a fine job at that. cool stuff though.

My first workstation was based on one of those IIRC.
Did lots of work. cool kit.

Cool board but not sure what use I would have for it.

I've already got a dual LGA771 board with CPUs and a bunch of RAM I haven't bothered to build a system with.

No AGP or PCIe kind of kills it for me... Same with my LGA771 board.

I didn't realize there was so much interest in these dual Opteron boards. I have this one sitting in a box, so I figured I'd throw it out there. I'm open to offers. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I didn't want to start something new just for my auction. (I tried to see if there were rules against this, but I didn't find any. Please let me know if I should take it down).

I have no idea if the PCIe slot supports a GPU, but it would have to be pretty short if it does.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294282906548

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
this makes me miss my dual Athlon MP1600 with the jet engine delta fans and a 9700pro!

Yeah I still have my Asus A7M266-D, used it as my server for a long time until it got too slow and obsolete. It was great in its day though.

I have something like that laying around in my basement, though mine has dual PCI-e 16x, 3 PCI-X and a 32-bit PCI. Tyan something, I'd have to check. Got a couple socket 940 Opteron 275s on it and 4GB ram on it. It's like 15 years old or so and still worked when I took it out of the case last year. It's out of a rig I built for a friend back when that hardware was current. He used it for his Ph.D. research, then gave it to me years later when it was obsolete and he was packing up to move. I'm using his Lian-Li full tower aluminum case for my home server. It's one of those old school full towers with a row of 5.25" bays down the front. Perfect for adding hot-swap cages. i3-10100, 16GB ram, hard drives, NIC, lives in my basement. And yeah, I just wanted the case.

Back