21" Sun GDM 5410 FD Trinitron vs. 3x Samsung - Odyssey 50a 27” IPS 165hz in portrait mode @4320x2560 165hz

cesarioFL71

Limp Gawd
I've been a diehard crt fan for many years but a recent move forced me to offload most of my crt collection and go with lighter and more mobile gaming setup. After a month I wanted to share my experience between the two techs.

My setup includes an I9 10850k@ stock and an RTX 4090@ stock with 32gb of system ram, Windows 11 Pro, 500gb ssd and 4tb SSD for games.

Initially, I thought the triple portrait setup was the best thing I'd ever done to upgrade my gaming experience in all my time of gaming on the pc platform. Nothing I've had comes close to the level of immersion that comes from 4320x2560 resolution. The three monitors together form a complete wall of pixels that completely fills your vertical and horizontal fov. All three together also combine to give you a very nice 16:10 aspect ratio which plays nice with all the latest games and avoids the fishbowl affect seen with the wider aspect ratios. The pixels rendered are actually being used and not wasted on the two side panels . I realize my panels are not the best and perhaps I should have tried a similar setup using OLED and perhaps I will in the future, but that's for another story.

That said, my primary genre of games are FPS of the single player variety and open world games ala Metro Exodus and Far Cry with Far Cry 4, 5 and 6 currently installed on my pc. As you'd imagine the game worlds of Exodus and Far Cry are rendered in gorgeous detail and the additional vertical pixels of 16:10 add greatly to the level of immersion for the player. I find myself lost in these worlds for hours at a time as I go about uncovering new areas and pew pewing the bad guys! I can't wait for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 on these bad boys. Another great experience on these panels has been Dead Space Remastered. The game looks great and I have no complaints. The 4090 does it's thing and keeps me maxed out and always above 100 fps NO MATTER what games I'm playing in my library. The only game I can't max is CP 2077 with the newly included path tracing which quite honestly doesn't bother me as I really don't care for the game itself. So all in all it's been a great experience and I'm glad I purchased this setup.

That said, I still have a brand new, zero hour 21" FD Trinitron sitting on another desk being powered by another 10850k and an RTX 3060ti. I run that monitor at 1600x1200@85hz. I keep all of my "dark games" on it like Doom 2016 Doom Eternal, Metro Exodus, Calisto Protocol and a backup copy of Dead Space Remastered. I often find myself turning around in my chair and replaying games on the crt without even thinking about what I'm doing. What I have found is that both units offer a different experience that depending on my mood are equally enjoyable. The LCD's drag me into the world immediately and that level of immersion makes up for the small amount of disconnect I feel from both the input lag and motion clarity compared to the crt. The opposite occurs with the crt. The loss of immersion due to the smaller screen size is made up for by sense of depth and the immediate mouse response and motion clarity relative to the LCD setup. So after a month what's my verdict? I love both, and both setups are equally enjoyable. In terms of image quality? I'll give the crt the win here but only because the soft look and deep blacks are my weakness. :) I know that OLED is probably going to win out in the end for me, but I don't see switching to an OLED version of my portrait setup anytime soon, and OLED doesn't look much better to me than my crt to replace it for single screen usage. Thanks for reading and happy gaming!

Last edited:
4k 42" LG OLED might just be your ticket... Size and resolution for immersion, deep blacks and motion clarity for quality.

4k 42" LG OLED might just be your ticket... Size and resolution for immersion, deep blacks and motion clarity for quality.
In your opinion how does the OLED compare to the instant response time of the crt? I'm not so concerned about motion clarity as I am with input lag.

I don't own one, but it's supposedly imperceptible.
I'm going to stick with this setup for the foreseeable future. At least until the next generation of gpus hit the market. I look forward to the next iteration of OLED. My understanding is the current generation of OLED is really a stop gap before the next wave of OLED tech hits the market with supposedly even better image quality and less organic degradation.

I don't own one, but it's supposedly imperceptible.
I own both OLED and CRT, and I can tell you it's quite the opposite. Very perceptible. Hard to ignore.

OLED doesn't hold a candle to CRT in motion clarity, especially since most OLED monitors don't support BFI.

OLED TVs with BFI at 60hz and (in 2020/2021) 120hz get kinda close to CRT, but they still aren't quite there. And currently BFI adds a frame of input lag.

I own both OLED and CRT, and I can tell you it's quite the opposite. Very perceptible. Hard to ignore.

OLED doesn't hold a candle to CRT in motion clarity, especially since most OLED monitors don't support BFI.

OLED TVs with BFI at 60hz and (in 2020/2021) 120hz get kinda close to CRT, but they still aren't quite there. And currently BFI adds a frame of input lag.
If you read it in context, we were talking about the input lag.

cesarioFL71, i remember i did a input lag test on a friend lg oled c1 55 inch version, with a tv option called "latency boost" if i remember correclty, by recording on phone camera at 60 fps a game (king of fighters 15) on pc, and doing several button presses, vertical sync off and by then playing back the recorded video frame by frame and i counted the same amount of frames input delay i have counted doing the same test on my fw900 crt at the same conditions, my crt is conected to the graphics card via sunix dpu3000 adapter, but i have done some input lag test comparing the fw900 with the sunix, and then with the fw900 connected to a video card with native analog ports and got the same ammount of frames, the sunx doesnt seem to increase input lag for reference, so from my test, i took the conclusion the lg oled c1 with "latency boost" option enabled can have the same input latency of a crt monitor, if this data is of your interest.

however, when i tested the oled wth "oled motion pro" which is the setting that improves motion quality on the c1, (not at the same crt quality level but better motion quality than having it off) i observed 1 frame of input latency incerased on the oled compared to the crt since "latency boost" setting was disabled when i enabled "oled motion pro" and didnt seem to be able to enable both latency and motion quality settings at the same time, 1 frame input delay doesnt seem to be such a considerable latency increase, but since you say you are not as concerned about motion quality and seem very latency sensitive, you may have even better satisfying gaming experience with a tv like this and at such big size (and i think there are even bigger c1 models) you would not need to have 3 monitors and the lg may give you the same size inmersion you like, on the ips, or even better without seeing those vertical bezels separation, much better blacks than ips light glow, light bleed, at its 120hz it supports, so maybe it would be worth for you to try this oled tv, and since you seem to be in a country where you can return the tv just due to insatisfaction in case you dont like it, worth the try i think, if you want.

Last edited:
cesarioFL71, i remember i did a input lag test on a friend lg oled c1 55 inch version, with a tv option called "latency boost" if i remember correclty, by recording on phone camera at 60 fps a game (king of fighters 15) on pc, and doing several button presses, vertical sync off and by then playing back the recorded video frame by frame and i counted the same amount of frames input delay i have counted doing the same test on my fw900 crt at the same conditions, my crt is conected to the graphics card via sunix dpu3000 adapter, but i have done some input lag test comparing the fw900 with the sunix, and then with the fw900 connected to a video card with native analog ports and got the same ammount of frames, the sunx doesnt seem to increase input lag for reference, so from my test, i took the conclusion the lg oled c1 with "latency boost" option enabled can have the same input latency of a crt monitor, if this data is of your interest.

however, when i tested the oled wth "oled motion pro" which is the setting that improves motion quality on the c1, (not at the same crt quality level but better motion quality than having it off) i observed 1 frame of input latency incerased on the oled compared to the crt since "latency boost" setting was disabled when i enabled "oled motion pro" and didnt seem to be able to enable both latency and motion quality settings at the same time, 1 frame input delay doesnt seem to be such a considerable latency increase, but since you say you are not as concerned about motion quality and seem very latency sensitive, you may have even better satisfying gaming experience with a tv like this and at such big size (and i think there are even bigger c1 models) you would not need to have 3 monitors and the lg may give you the same size inmersion you like, on the ips, or even better without seeing those vertical bezels separation, much better blacks than ips light glow, light bleed, at its 120hz it supports, so maybe it would be worth for you to try this oled tv, and since you seem to be in a country where you can return the tv just due to insatisfaction in case you dont like it, worth the try i think, if you want.
I very much appreciate the sharing of your testing and conclusions. I've decided I will give your recommendation some thought. If I proceed with a purchase I will update here. Thanks again!

I've received a new LG - 42" Class C2 OLED as of yesterday. My thoughts? So far I'm not impressed but only because I expected a nice bump in image quality compared to my crt. I'd never conceived that in 2023 we'd yet to truly surpass crt in terms of image quality in regards to SDR content. Blacks are black but to my eye no more than my brand new Sun GDM 5410 crt. The only improvement as far as blacks go is just slightly less halo effect where whites meet blacks. Colors are pretty much the same. They both look great! Motion clarity is slightly less than my crt which I expected. The big plus for me was input lag and mouse response. It's right there with my crt; perhaps just slightly less responsive but you have to really focus to notice the difference. At the end of the day it's form factor, size, and ability to display multiple resolutions with excellent results make it an excellent crt replacement. I guess I was expecting to be blown away, but that doesn't discount what it does well. Is this unit worth the 900.00 bucks I paid for it? Tough to say at the moment....aside from the larger screen size there's not enough meat here to feel truly satisfied with my purchase.

Last edited:
I have a 21" Trinitron P1110 and the 42 LG C2. I love my CRT but after using the OLED as my daily for the past 3 or 4 months it is just a great screen and super hard to pass up.

There is no reason to use a CRT over a modern OLED. You are giving up too much to use the CRT. I have no desire to play on a 21" screen.

Depends on the use case really. I would rather play older 4:3 games on a 21" monitor than the 42" OLED but not everyone likes to revisit some of the classics?
Nope. Rather just play on my 65" OLED or my 34" Ultra wide OLED.

Depends on the use case really. I would rather play older 4:3 games on a 21" monitor than the 42" OLED but not everyone likes to revisit some of the classics?
That's what I keep several Dell 2007FPs around for (4:3 1600x1200 IPS)

I have a 21" Trinitron P1110 and the 42 LG C2. I love my CRT but after using the OLED as my daily for the past 3 or 4 months it is just a great screen and super hard to pass up.
I plan to use the OLED as my main display with two 27" Samsung Neo IPS monitors in portrait mode on each side for productivity and gaming. My 21" Sun GDM 5410 will be directly behind me connected to another pc for specific games and retro stuff. The OLED gets razor close to my crt in terms of response time and for everything else it's neck and neck. What wins out at the end of the day for me with OLED is it's form factor and size. It's like having a 42" crt on your desk! That's a win for all of us and I'm happy the tech has matured and for the most part solved the burn in problem. Like I said, it's only because I was expecting a dramatic improvement in IQ compared to my crt that I am a little underwhelmed. Outside of that it's a step forward and finally moves the market in a real way ( for crt holdouts :) ) past crt......finally!!!!!

Last edited:
Picking up a NIB Sun crt with DB13W3 connector soldered to the board with no VGA out. Anyone know the best way if any to use this with a modern GPU? Also, just picked up an HP Monosync crt. Unit has perfect 4:3 screen that syncs to 1280x960. It has a sync on green RGB connection that I have hooked to an RTX 3060ti and all i get is a garbled mess of numbers. I have no experience with this type of connection. Any input will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Picking up a NIB Sun crt with DB13W3 connector soldered to the board with no VGA out. Anyone know the best way if any to use this with a modern GPU?

Just get a converter, the DB13W3 is just VGA with extra pins. I have one I use with my old SGI system.

It has a sync on green RGB connection that I have hooked to an RTX 3060ti

Did you actually do anything to, you know, put Sync on Green?

An Extron RGB should be able to do this for you. They're pretty cheap on ebay

Also, since the the output of the Extron will probably be BNC, you'll need a BNC>VGA adapter

I have a BNC to VGA cable paired with a Delock VGA to DP adapter. How do you "put sync on green"? Do you actually need a special cable or passthrough? Never used a monitor of this type so pardon my ignorance.

Last edited:
I'm settled into a new home with a new job so alas I'm going to partially rebuild my crt collection. I anticipate these will be the last crt monitors I'll ever purchase. :( At the moment I have my Sun GDM-5410 that was purchased NIB and I have a brand new Viewsonic P225Fb also purchased NIB. I've got one more NIB 21" crt on the way. It's a Sun X267A aka Sony GDM20E20. Unless a new in box FW900 (at a reasonable price) ;) were to present itself I think I'm done with crt purchases. My new 42" C2 OLED is performing admirably as a primary display and looks like this will be the way forward for me. :)

Last edited:
There is no reason to use a CRT over a modern OLED. You are giving up too much to use the CRT. I have no desire to play on a 21" screen.
The crt has it's place on my desk and I love playing games on it. I switch back and forth between the two screens and the smaller crt screen doesn't bother me. Thank god! :)

Last edited:
cesarioFL71, glad you got the oled and like it! :)
Thanks for the suggestion on giving this unit a try out. It's a great crt replacement and I can't believe how responsive it is. If I focus I still notice it's just a hair slower than crt but it's damn near imperceptible. I was a little surprised by how closely the crt and OLED match up in terms of image quality for SDR content. The oled has just ever so slightly better blacks, and by that I mean less haloing between blacks and whites. The blacks themselves are both equally inky and contrasty for lack of a better word. :) They both look great in terms of color reproduction. Still amazing to me that in 2023 the crt is still the king when it comes to SDR content!

The first time he/she said OLED is the true successor to CRT and that we've been viewing downgraded PQ for almost 2 decades, that person was brilliant.

I'm waiting on the first blurbusters-approved OLED display. Should be glorious. Hoping it actually becomes a thing.

I'm waiting on the first blurbusters-approved OLED display. Should be glorious. Hoping it actually becomes a thing.
I'm more sensitive to input lag than motion blur so don't see the need to wait on the unit you refer to, but still looking forward to seeing what it can do.

OLED motion blur kills me. I only use my OLED to play 30fps games on consoles.

For anything 60fps and above, I'm still going with the CRT. Even with the lack of HDR, it just looks so much more impressive

If there are OLEDs in the future that allow arbitrary refresh rates with 1ms strobing (without adding lag), I will gladly switch over

OLED motion blur kills me. I only use my OLED to play 30fps games on consoles.

For anything 60fps and above, I'm still going with the CRT. Even with the lack of HDR, it just looks so much more impressive

If there are OLEDs in the future that allow arbitrary refresh rates with 1ms strobing (without adding lag), I will gladly switch over
I'm just thankful I don't pick up on motion blur so much as latency. Mouse lag just kills any desire to game for me. Can't stand it! :)

No v-sync required here. Aside from g-sync I don't turn on anything or cap frames.

So you've never really experienced true CRT motion clarity

On a CRT, to get proper motion clarity, you need to have your frame rate match your refresh rate. The only way is with some type of vsync.

Some low-lag options, equivalent or close to vsync off:

Latent Sync in Special K

Scanline Sync in RTSS

Or just use regular Vsync combine with a frame cap

Thanks 😊. Like I said earlier....don't really pick up on motion blur at this point. Perhaps my vision has gotten worse over the years and it doesn't register to these old eyes? I much prefer smooth, lag free game play and not introducing any lag no matter how small. I've always played with vsync off. The last time I remember ever seeing an issue with vsync off was back in 2007. Back then gpus couldn't keep frame rates high enough to match up with the crt and I'd get screen tearing. These days that's no longer a concern.

These days that's no longer a concern.
You're still getting tearing an uneven frame pacing. Your eyes don't track objects as well because there's not a reliable cadence to when the frames are output.

And that "Latent Sync" option in Special K can actually have lower lag than vsync-off, because it can modify the rendering thread of the CPU and GPU if you add a "delay bias"

You should at least try just turning vsync on in a few games, to see for yourself how much smoother it looks when you move around.

Then, once you realize how crucial it is, look into these low-lag options I've listed.

You're still getting tearing an uneven frame pacing. Your eyes don't track objects as well because there's not a reliable cadence to when the frames are output.

And that "Latent Sync" option in Special K can actually have lower lag than vsync-off, because it can modify the rendering thread of the CPU and GPU if you add a "delay bias"

You should at least try just turning vsync on in a few games, to see for yourself how much smoother it looks when you move around.

Then, once you realize how crucial it is, look into these low-lag options I've listed.
Ok. I'll give it a shot. Thanks! :)

I haven't played with the proggies you listed but did play some Dead Space Remastered with v-sync and yes I notice the difference in motion blur compared to v-sync off. That said, I'll keep it turned on within the NCP for awhile and see how I fare. Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
Update:

So after a few weeks with the C2 and my time with the triple IPS portrait setup I'm right back onto my crt. I'm sorry to say but I just can't game on anything for any length of time other than my crts. Initially I thought the OLED was the beesnees and it's still a great display, but the crt just outdoes it in every category save for immersion due to size and HDR. It is what it is but gaming on crt is just the best experience for ME!!!! I know many will disagree and say things like "get with the times", but that's my verdict. I intend to keep the OLED as a "secondary" gaming display and an LG 4k IPS for productivity, but for gaming.....CRT IS STILL KING!!!!!

Last edited:
Update:

So after a few weeks weeks with the C2 and my time with the triple IPS portrait setup I'm right back onto my crt. I'm sorry to say but I just can't game on anything for any length of time other than my crts. Initially I thought the OLED was the beesnees and it's still a great display, but the crt just outdoes it in every category save for immersion due to size and HDR. It is what it is but gaming on crt is just the best experience for ME!!!! I know many will disagree and say things like "get with the times", but that's my verdict. I intend to keep the OLED as a "secondary" gaming display and an LG 4k IPS for productivity, but for gaming.....CRT IS STILL KING!!!!!
Love that retro perspective.

Love that retro perspective.
Thanks 😊. I truly wish I could move onto the larger OLED screen but it simply doesn't offer enough benefit to ME to make the switch. The only true advantage is screen size and frankly after a half hour on a 22in crt your brain adjusts to the smaller screen. That said, OLED is as close as it gets as a crt replacement but it's simply not there yet for my personal use case.

Back