2023 GPU availability predictions?

WilyKit

Gawd
What say you? Better? Worse? Same? Can’t find a 4090 anywhere near MSRP yet. 4080s pop up on BB locally now and again but not really interested in that card at it’s asking price. I’m hoping a 4080Ti will eventually slot into the 4080s price point but I’m not confidant I’d actually be able to find one even if that does happen.

Oh, and happy new year!

I don’t expect them to get cheaper. But being able to readily find them at MSRP would be nice.

I think that the 4070 Ti that is supposedly coming out on the 5th should help put some downward pressure on the price of other cards - assuming that it's released in any relevant quantity.

I think that the 4070 Ti that is supposedly coming out on the 5th should help put some downward pressure on the price of other cards - assuming that it's released in any relevant quantity.
Let me give slight correction: assuming that it can be found at MSRP at launch day and beyond.

I'd just like to be able to walk into my local MC and pick up a 4090 without having to stalk the website hoping for the model I want to show up when i am available. I'm not a PC gamer because I care about the price, I'll spend what I have too for max graphics and frames because it's a major hobby of mine.

It's going to get worse. With AMD and Nvidia establishing new pricing tiers on GPUs (price fixing), this is the new normal.
Just buy what you want and move on. If you think about it, you'll come to the conclusion that it's best to move on from PC gaming.
Exactly, it's price-fixing, collusion - whatever you want to call it. Over msrp, over inflated prices - scalpers - why, on earth - were ppl able to buy tons of cards during the card shortage/low availability - mining craze? Yeah, those ppl must be wealthy but it's still puzzling considering others couldn't even get/buy ONE card!!!!
Both AMD and Nvidia are scummy companies - yet there's fanboys for both and defenders of one or the other. With low stock - if demand > supply, the prices will remain high. I have found the experience of shopping for a used card very undesirable - but, as bad as it is, I'm not interested in overpaying for one of these other cards and the AIB companies are not any better - look at all the scandals and controversies from those companies - some youtubers sometimes upload a video about it.

I'd just like to be able to walk into my local MC and pick up a 4090 without having to stalk the website hoping for the model I want to show up when i am available. I'm not a PC gamer because I care about the price, I'll spend what I have too for max graphics and frames because it's a major hobby of mine.
Caring about price and buying a 4090 seems to be an oxymoron, to me....

In my opinion, gamers need to continue to reject the $1200 4080, the new $800 40"7"0 Ti, the $999 7900 XTX, and $899 7900 XT and eventually AMD and Nvidia will have to face the reality of supply and demand.

Mining, for now, is gone as a factor. Scalpers aren't going to be a factor for the 4080 at $1200, and I suspect the 40"7"0 Ti at $900.

Nvidia and AMD are both trying to perpetuate that we are still in the same market conditions we were in back in 2021, we aren't. Don't buy these cards and prices will have to reach reality at some point. Nvidia has an allocation of wafers from TSMC, they have to use them and cards rotting on shelves does them no favors. They are just hoping there are still enough suckers to buy the crap they are selling right now. Keep rejecting it.

Caring about price and buying a 4090 seems to be an oxymoron, to me....
Oh, I agree 100%... lol. The 4090 is the Titan of old really. It's meant for those who want the best and will spend what they have too in order to get it. However, I draw the line at paying any scalpers money. I'll pay the $1500~$1799 in a store for this card, but I sure as hell will not pay a scalper a cent more than what a specific card costs in store.

Oh, I agree 100%... lol. The 4090 is the Titan of old really. It's meant for those who want the best and will spend what they have too in order to get it. However, I draw the line at paying any scalpers money. I'll pay the $1500~$1799 in a store for this card, but I sure as hell will not pay a scalper a cent more than what a specific card costs in store.
No, no, too many people bought this misconception because Jensen said "Titan class" when announcing the 3090, but that's just marketing.

Take a look. The last real Titan card was $2500 MSRP. Have you ever known Nvidia to trend their pricing significantly downward? $2500 to $1500 (3090 MSRP) is quite the shift for an "actual Titan". It's simple, 90-class cards are not Titans, and simply having 24GB of ram doesn't in and of itself make them Titans.

The look at another trend. Would anyone really consider the 3080 Ti the flagship gaming card of the Ampere generation like you would have considered the x80 Ti cards flagships of their respective gens for the preceding Turing, Pascal, Maxwell, Kepler gens? No.

Its clear to me that the 90-class cards are really the re-branding and price hike of the x80 Ti tier cards of previous gens to Ampere. The 3090 was the generational replacement for the 2080 Ti with a $300 price hike. 4090 gets an additional $100 price hike.

And we know that a Lovelace Titan was being explored, so that is clear to me that 90-class cards are not really Titans. And the 3080 Ti being a third tier down in the stack card in both branding and specs in terms of its cut-down shaders (albeit marginally), but really cut down vram, tells me its not the flagship gaming card. The 90-class stuff is.

No, no, too many people bought this misconception because Jensen said "Titan class" when announcing the 3090, but that's just marketing.

Take a look. The last real Titan card was $2500 MSRP. Have you ever known Nvidia to trend their pricing significantly downward? $2500 to $1500 (3090 MSRP) is quite the shift for an "actual Titan". It's simple, 90-class cards are not Titans, and simply having 24GB of ram doesn't in and of itself make them Titans.

The look at another trend. Would anyone really consider the 3080 Ti the flagship gaming card of the Ampere generation like you would have considered the x80 Ti cards flagships of their respective gens for the preceding Turing, Pascal, Maxwell, Kepler gens? No.

Its clear to me that the 90-class cards are really the re-branding and price hike of the x80 Ti tier cards of previous gens to Ampere. The 3090 was the generational replacement for the 2080 Ti with a $300 price hike. 4090 gets an additional $100 price hike.

And we know that a Lovelace Titan was being explored, so that is clear to me that 90-class cards are not really Titans. And the 3080 Ti being a third tier down in the stack card in both branding and specs in terms of its cut-down shaders (albeit marginally), but really cut down vram, tells me its not the flagship gaming card. The 90-class stuff is.
Gaming TITAN cards like the TITAN X and GTX TITAN X were always priced in the $1,000-1,200 range, so the price of the -90 class cards went up from there. The TITAN RTX wasn't marketed as a gaming card like those before the TITAN V. The only difference between the TITAN RTX and the 2080 Ti, anyway, was more enabled FP64 cores, double the memory, and professional driver support. That is where the extra cost over the 2080 Ti came from.

The -90 class designation came about to finally put the nail in the coffin of TITAN as a gaming model. The -90 class is powerful enough to fill in the space of a prosumer product, anyway, despite its focus on gaming.

The 3080 Ti was the generational replacement for the 2080 Ti. It even released at the same price point. After NVIDIA pushed TITAN more into the professional space there was a gap in the product stack with Turing that the 3090 filled with Ampere.

The 3080 Ti was the generational replacement for the 2080 Ti. It even released at the same price point. After NVIDIA pushed TITAN more into the professional space there was a gap in the product stack with Turing that the 3090 filled with Ampere.
Guess I'll have to agree to disagree. Not only did the 3090 have hampered FP64 performance like all non-Titan cards do, it's just a simple fact that Nvidia is not known to decrease prices, and we know through the rumor mill that Nvidia was looking at Ada based Titan cards before scrapping the idea. To me, the 90-class now occupies where the x80 Ti cards used to be for gaming flagship cards in Turing and prior. As far as I am concerned, the 3090 was a rebrand and price-hiked generational replacement for the 2080 Ti. It made sense. 3080 certainly wasn't its replacement. 3080 Ti only came out later as another cash grab and at 12GB, another in the stagnated VRAM department after 2 gens of 11GB x80 Ti cards. And then there is the 3090 Ti. What is that card but another shameless cash grab for gamers.

midnight-staley-pain.gif

New cards... Yah pretty shite

But the used market in my area is pretty ok.. a lot of folks are lowering their asking prices on 3090s, 3080s to more reasonable numbers.

Going back even further, I saw a couple ads selling 4-packs of RX 480s/580s for between 150 and 200 CAD (about 2$ in USD) These are still good 1080p cards. I am almost tempted to snag them and run quad fire for a 2010 style PC just for fun

Last edited:
Better availability I think.

It already is better, but still helps to use stock watch youtube/twitch/discord. But since there is no Crypto boom, there is quite a bit less scalping, which means you can find cards with a little searching.

Snapshot of availabilty from 2 min ago:

1674838260458.png

During the massive shitstorm of 2021 this was all red 99% of the time.

Better availability I think.

It already is better, but still helps to use stock watch youtube/twitch/discord. But since there is no Crypto boom, there is quite a bit less scalping, which means you can find cards with a little searching.

Snapshot of availabilty from 2 min ago:

View attachment 544812

During the massive shitstorm of 2021 this was all red 99% of the time.
4080s and 4070 ti are pretty easy to get. The 4080 FE has been in stock at BB for weeks now.

No 7900xtx even priced at $1200 on newegg:
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=8000&d=7900xtx

It is much better but the notion that some stock watch even exist do show that it is is still not that good.

The fact that the MSRP FE edition of RTX 4080 is available with a simply add to cart at bestbuy.com is quite encouraging and something impassable during the crypto era, but it could be a reflection of the high price.

If the selling figure we see around are true, make you wonder what is AMD process issues with achieving good yield on the 7900xtx

I have seen the 4090 a lot more now, but still, 0 luck getting the MSI Suprim X air Cooled version... ugh.

No 7900xtx even priced at $1200 on newegg:
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=8000&d=7900xtx

It is much better but the notion that some stock watch even exist do show that it is is still not that good.

The fact that the MSRP FE edition of RTX 4080 is available with a simply add to cart at bestbuy.com is quite encouraging and something impassable during the crypto era, but it could be a reflection of the high price.

If the selling figure we see around are true, make you wonder what is AMD process issues with achieving good yield on the 7900xtx
Supply definitely still hasn't caught up to demand but even the XTX has been more available the last week or two. I've been keeping an eye on NE listings(searching on amazon sucks) and xtx models have been popping up at listed price direct from NE more frequently and staying up for longer, yesterday the gigabyte aorus was up for most of a day at $1150.

I also just ordered the XFX merc XTX for $1050 the other day through amazon which is actually $50 under msrp on it. It's not supposed to ship until next week so it's not 100% available but that's not too bad, it's still showing at that price but shipping is showing as 10 days later than when I ordered.

I suspect we'll see more cards start to come in after the lunar new year celebrations finish everywhere but it's clear that neither company is rushing to flood the market and who knows how much of the last gen stock they're still sitting on at this point so we'll see. It's still much better than it was during the crypto boom and barring another boom my prediction is that we'll see wider availability and better prices by late spring or early summer.

I have seen the 4090 a lot more now, but still, 0 luck getting the MSI Suprim X air Cooled version... ugh.
That one sells out quick. It shows it was last in stock at Amazon on 1-25, 11pm central for $1749.99. Sometimes on Amazon you need to click the see all options button, usually named 'New & used from' To get the right priced item in your cart.

MSI Suprim 4090 is available... I can't find anything stating what's different between it or the Suprim X except 30Mhz on the core. Anyone know? Cause if the PCB and Power Phases are the same, screw it, I'll get the non-x version and save $10 while I'm at it... lol.

RTX 4090 availability seems to be clearing up, at least if you don't mind spending $1,700+ on one. $1,600 MSRP? Forget it, the FE is unobtanium and the AIBs are only putting out marked-up cards.

RX 7900 XTX? Don't count on it after AMD's botched vapor chamber production run, there seem to be far more reference cards than custom AIB ones.

RTX 4080 and RX 7900 XT? Easy to get, but everyone agrees those cards are overpriced, if not as much as the RTX 4070 Ti.

It's still just the end of January, so who knows how much things will change in the span of a few months.

Newegg has the MSI 4090 Gaming X for a few minutes this morning as well as the Suprim Liquid and Suprim Liquid X

The Liquid X just recently sold out after a couple hours of being in stock. Vanilla Liquid is still in stock.

Almost jumped on the Gaming X, but... Nah. I'm pretty bitter with nVidia right for their pricing and artificial scarcity. Decided not to reward that anti-consumer behavior

Heck, I wouldn't even be terribly upset at a $1600 4090 as it's a top tier product if the rest of their product stack wasn't so ridiculously over priced also.

It feels like you can't find a $1600 4090 anywhere, except for the FE. My Gigabyte Windforce 4090 is rare at this point.

It's not hard to find 4090 in Canada (except FE), and it's raining 4080/4070. I expect a price drop for these 2.

Just check Newegg once an hour and I guarantee you will get one. I accidentally got one randomly looking at Newegg imagine if you actually try lol

Newegg has the MSI 4090 Gaming X for a few minutes this morning as well as the Suprim Liquid and Suprim Liquid X

The Liquid X just recently sold out after a couple hours of being in stock. Vanilla Liquid is still in stock.

Almost jumped on the Gaming X, but... Nah. I'm pretty bitter with nVidia right for their pricing and artificial scarcity. Decided not to reward that anti-consumer behavior

Heck, I wouldn't even be terribly upset at a $1600 4090 as it's a top tier product if the rest of their product stack wasn't so ridiculously over priced also.
I was like you, bitter. But I have a 4k 144 display I have no choice and I wanted the best GPU. That Gaming X is the one I got and I don't regret it, not one bit. The performance is so satisfying. I think it's twice as fast as my 3080Ti it replaced? Not sure but I might be exaggerating but the difference is astronomical. I put the power usage to 55% on the 4090 and it uses 100W less than the 3080Ti Hydrocopper while outperforming it by who knows how much I say at least 50% more fps. After owning a 4090 I never want anything less. It spoils you so much at 4k.

Last edited:
Agreed. I laugh every time I read someone saying I am doing great in 4K gaming with a 3090 / 3080 Ti etc. I am like... please!

I was like you, bitter. But I have a 4k 144 display I have no choice and I wanted the best GPU. That Gaming X is the one I got and I don't regret it, not one bit. The performance is so satisfying. I think it's twice as fast as my 3080Ti it replaced? Not sure but I might be exaggerating but the difference is astronomical. I put the power usage to 55% on the 4090 and it uses 100W less than the 3080Ti Hydrocopper while outperforming it by who knows how much I say at least 50% more fps. After owning a 4090 I never want anything less. It spoils you so much at 4k.
Turns out, I’m all talk and full of shit. Received an unexpected $1500 commission check shortly after making that post and proceeded to order the 4090 Gaming X 🤣

Was going to order a 1200 watt seasonic but after reading I can retain 90%+ performance with a 60-70% power limit, I’m gonna roll the dice with my 850

Turns out, I’m all talk and full of shit. Received an unexpected $1500 commission check shortly after making that post and proceeded to order the 4090 Gaming X 🤣

Was going to order a 1200 watt seasonic but after reading I can retain 90%+ performance with a 60-70% power limit, I’m gonna roll the dice with my 850

Not faulting you....

But, right here is why Nvidia prices these new GPU's what they are... even though middle-class America is struggling (with doubling of grocery, energy budgets).. there are still that small sector of the economy that has quite a bit of disposable income that they will line up to buy the latest GPU...

Not faulting you....

But, right here is why Nvidia prices these new GPU's what they are... even though middle-class America is struggling (with doubling of grocery, energy budgets).. there are still that small sector of the economy that has quite a bit of disposable income that they will line up to buy the latest GPU...

You‘re absolutely not wrong

You‘re absolutely not wrong

But... I will add... the 4090 Gaming X is not a necessity and is a luxury product :)
Gaming X's are top tier and that beast should last you years ( unless you keep getting those unexpected commission checks :ROFLMAO: )

But... I will add... the 4090 Gaming X is not a necessity and is a luxury product :)
Gaming X's are top tier and that beast should last you years ( unless you keep getting those unexpected commission checks :ROFLMAO: )
This was one of the main reason I got it. I’m running 3440x1440 @ 175Hz QD-OLED display which I don’t plan to upgrade for years to come. I feel like the 4090 will give me the performance I want for as long as I own it. Especially with features like DLSS.

Lol how fun. Good for you. I'm doing the same thing but since I have a 13900KS that can pull 400W and a 4090 that can pull 600 my 1050W won't cut it. Looking at the MSI Meg Ai1300 Platinum PS.

Most of us here are full of shit. I swore off >1000$ cards when the 2080 Ti came out (and didn't buy it) but since then I have been buying top tier. Heck, I even said I won't buy a 3090 Ti. That lasted for exactly 15 days and I had one in my hand. Worst purchase ever. Yes, but then again I sold my 3090 for same price as a 3090 Ti. :LOL:

Back