2015 Samsung 4k TV as a Monitor Set Up Guide

How does that different from Auto Motion Plus?

Some people on here used to like it, but I found it added a shit ton of input lag making games almost unplayable.

I don't know the details but on console anyway, it worked just as well as FreeSync, if not better. Using the XBOX OneX controller, I couldn't tell any difference between Game Motion Plus and Feesync as far as input lag was concerned. I haven't tried this on a PC though.

I'm assuming that's a typo, but it's pretty great.

AMD FreeSync versus Nvidia FeeSync :p

No it isn't. At Kyle's we tested a couple console games on FreeSync Samsung TVs. The Game Motion plus feature was slightly better than FreeSync in that it did a better job of smoothing framerates with no discernable reduction in image quality we could see.

When we turned them both off, the tearing and frame rates were all over the place giving us a less than stellar experience. We actually had game motion plus on by accident. We started investigating it because we thought FreeSync wawasn working because there was no difference between the setup that had it on and the one that had it off. Once game motion plus was off, we could see the difference between nothing and FreeSync clearly.

It was an unexpected result. I don't think it would work as well on a PC with a mouse and keyboard, but I haven't tried it. I don't have a TV that has the feature.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about Game Motion Plus (I have that on my TV and it's great).

I was pointing out that you wrote *Fee* Sync instead of *Free* Sync and I was cracking up. :ROFLMAO:

any ideas on how I can make my input lag even lower in game mode. Playing apex legends and its still high

oddly switching from blu ray to game mode uses the same settings. Anyone have this issue?

If you set it to game console in your input settings you will be able to enable "game mode" from the menu. On my samsung it saves about 17ms, ymmv.

Game mode is tricky on my set. By default my PC doesn't like it. It keeps trying to swap back to the "PC" input....which luckily also has input lag reduction.
Instead I use the "Game Console" input mode for HDR content. HDR content is laggier to begin with and it requires separate calibration settings, so it works well for me.
Plus, whatever causes my TV to keep reverting to the "PC" input seems to disable itself whenever HDR content it shown.

Game mode is tricky on my set. By default my PC doesn't like it. It keeps trying to swap back to the "PC" input....which luckily also has input lag reduction.
Instead I use the "Game Console" input mode for HDR content. HDR content is laggier to begin with and it requires separate calibration settings, so it works well for me.
Plus, whatever causes my TV to keep reverting to the "PC" input seems to disable itself whenever HDR content it shown.

I haven't had any issues like that with my KS8500.

My first gut instinct is to ask, have you tried with a different high bandwidth HDMI cable?

At least when these things were new, lots of random issues like this were cable related, as full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth utilization just would not work on many cables, especially on cables longer than 10ft.

My first gut instinct is to ask, have you tried with a different high bandwidth HDMI cable?

At least when these things were new, lots of random issues like this were cable related, as full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth utilization just would not work on many cables, especially on cables longer than 10ft.

I think it relates to me using an A/V receiver for audio. While initially an annoyance, it has turned out to be something I really like. PC mode still has lag reduction (just like game mode), and it gives me a 1-button toggle for other content.
All of my consoles and my cable box are all calibrated for the color scheme I setup for the PC input mode. Whenever anything with HDR kicks in (like Netflix or a game), I just hit the input button and toggle it over to Game Console mode, which has my HDR color settings.

My 2015 Samsung is dying. For some reason I have to keep selecting the input to get it to work, occasionally loses input altogether.

My 2015 Samsung is dying. For some reason I have to keep selecting the input to get it to work, occasionally loses input altogether.

Which model is it?
If it's one of the ones that has a One Connect box, you might be able to solve this issue by just replacing the box?

Which model is it?
If it's one of the ones that has a One Connect box, you might be able to solve this issue by just replacing the box?
Unfortunately not that one. It's the low-end 4k 48" one. No biggie, I planned on buying a better 4k display anyways. While this one is decent I'd like to get a display that supports adaptive sync.

Funny thing that you write this! I have a JS9000 and when I move my tv for gaming and move the Sonic Carrier away the inputs also seem to get scrambled. I have to turn the TV on and off for the screen to come back on! :(

Which model is it?
I'll try this! I think I even got an extra when my first one died!

I know jack about tv's, and this has probably already been talked about in this thread. Taking a look today I'm seeing 4k 120 hz and 240 hz tv's available right now. I'm thinking on whether it might be worth trying one of the smaller sizes as a monitor. 4k 60 hz for desktop. 1080 120 hz for gaming.

I know jack about tv's, and this has probably already been talked about in this thread. Taking a look today I'm seeing 4k 120 hz and 240 hz tv's available right now. I'm thinking on whether it might be worth trying one of the smaller sizes as a monitor. 4k 60 hz for desktop. 1080 120 hz for gaming.

Just make sure you research those smaller sizes carefully if you're talking smaller than 55", as TVs smaller than that tend to be gimped in terms of features. This wasn't always the case as with the 2015 sets, but apparently now Samsung makes you step up to the 55" size to get the fastest refresh rates and what not. I don't know if that's the case with LG, Sony, etc. also but just make sure you compare all of the specs to avoid potential disappointment.

What is the successor to the JS9000 series and compares? Mine is still going strong and kicking

Hello!

So I was wondering if someone could help with their favorite FPS shooter settings for the TV. I read a few people use Dynamic with Motion plus set to standard.

What are your other settings for this and what source do you have it set to? I am trying to have a more fluid FPS experience in games like APEX and right now just have it set to Game mode.

Love to hear the input!

Hello!

So I was wondering if someone could help with their favorite FPS shooter settings for the TV. I read a few people use Dynamic with Motion plus set to standard.

What are your other settings for this and what source do you have it set to? I am trying to have a more fluid FPS experience in games like APEX and right now just have it set to Game mode.

Love to hear the input!

Almost 4 years later, I'm still using game mode. I know some people really like Auto Motion Plus (AMP) but you have to have a pretty low sensitivity to input lag for that to work for you.

The problem with interpolation is that the screen has to wait for the next frame before it can interpolate between the two. So right there you have at least one frame of input lag.

Then there is the processing time to interpolate the frame. Add that to your input lag.

The end result is definitely smoother, but you've just added a shit ton of lag.

Try it. If you like it, great! It wasn't for me though.

Exactly this. It was interesting to play with and looked nice, but whew...very noticeably increased lag. I ended up going back to Game Mode for the remainder of my time with the JS9000.

Ive been gaming with:

Source: Game Console
Mode = Game Mode

Backlight = 18
Contrast 100
Brightness 46
Sharpness 0
color = 50

Advanaced Settings:
Dynamic Contrast = Medium
Black Tone: Darkest
Flesh Tone = 3
Color Space = Auto

Picture Options
Color Tone Warm 1
HDMI Black= Auto
UHD = On
Smart LED = High

I have been using this mainly but I love the feel of dynamic contrast and Auto Motion plus. The main issue is that the colors are so off. I have no idea how to fix it and would love to see what gaming would be like 'slightly smoother'

Rig at 4k can def handle anything I throw at it.

Would love to hear what youg use for gaming settings wise. I feel I may have played with a few too many settings . I found sharpness in game mode really helps.

I think it relates to me using an A/V receiver for audio. While initially an annoyance, it has turned out to be something I really like. PC mode still has lag reduction (just like game mode), and it gives me a 1-button toggle for other content.
All of my consoles and my cable box are all calibrated for the color scheme I setup for the PC input mode. Whenever anything with HDR kicks in (like Netflix or a game), I just hit the input button and toggle it over to Game Console mode, which has my HDR color settings.
I am doing the same thing! I have a Creative Sonic Carrier and it acts as my receiver! What color mode are you using? I use PC Mode for PC usage and it makes work a lot easier.
Then I use Blu ray mode for movies
Then I use Game mode for games

It seems Blu Ray / Game mode does not seem to make any difference in settings and it only changes when I set it to Game in General options

Almost 4 years later, I'm still using game mode. I know some people really like Auto Motion Plus (AMP) but you have to have a pretty low sensitivity to input lag for that to work for you.

The problem with interpolation is that the screen has to wait for the next frame before it can interpolate between the two. So right there you have at least one frame of input lag.

Then there is the processing time to interpolate the frame. Add that to your input lag.

Try it. If you like it, great! It wasn't for me though.
I wanted to really have a go at this but when I set dynamnic contrast the colors are more blue / slightly colder / feel off

Exactly this. It was interesting to play with and looked nice, but whew...very noticeably increased lag. I ended up going back to Game Mode for the remainder of my time with the JS9000.

I am doing the same thing! I have a Creative Sonic Carrier and it acts as my receiver! What color mode are you using? I use PC Mode for PC usage and it makes work a lot easier.
Then I use Blu ray mode for movies
Then I use Game mode for games

It seems Blu Ray / Game mode does not seem to make any difference in settings and it only changes when I set it to Game in General options

I'm using a Denon S730H. I set my Xbox / PC / PS4 / Switch as toggles off of the same HDMI input on the TV.
95% of the time everything is calibrated for the "PC" color scheme on the TV. That's mainly just because whenever I swap over to my PC, it automatically swaps over to that mode anyway. That input has the same reduced latency as game mode anyway. For calibrating it, I used a mix of the Xbox One Calibrator and those stock RGB full/limited images on my various devices. I've got it nailed for what I like, which is on the cooler side. Warm looks too yellow for me.

I use the other input calibrations (they're all the same) for HDR content. I just swap over as needed. The settings aren't hugely different, although the brightness is higher and dynamic contrast is on.

Would love to hear what youg use for gaming settings wise. I feel I may have played with a few too many settings . I found sharpness in game mode really helps.

On a KU6290, when gaming I personally use:

Source: BluRay
Mode = Normal

Backlight = 5
Contrast 100
Brightness 50
Sharpness 0
color = 50

Dynamic Contrast = Off
Black Tone: Normal
Color Space = Auto
Auto Motion Plus: Auto

Works quite well. I switch to PC mode for the rest of my usage.

So, SUPER PISSED - I was hooking up an HDMI cable today and the tip of the cable fell onto my screen, BARELY touching it yet causing a dead pixel that my eyes can not unsee now.

What's the best 42-43" for 2019 in terms of picture/response? Anything new out - I haven't done any research in quite some time.

So, SUPER PISSED - I was hooking up an HDMI cable today and the tip of the cable fell onto my screen, BARELY touching it yet causing a dead pixel that my eyes can not unsee now.

What's the best 42-43" for 2019 in terms of picture/response? Anything new out - I haven't done any research in quite some time.
The under-49" HDTV market is sorely neglected. There are two new 43"ers for 2019, Samsung Q60R and Sony X800G, but neither is much improved over their predecessors.

The under-49" HDTV market is sorely neglected. There are two new 43"ers for 2019, Samsung Q60R and Sony X800G, but neither is much improved over their predecessors.

Yeah my KU7500 has been solid, no issues. Doesn't seem to be new curved monitors, especially at this size. Guess I could check the specs on the Q60R and see how I feel, BLEH.

And of course there's still no worthy g-sync 4k monitors.

Looks like I may have to start saving for the Acer 43" AdaptiveSync display due in Sept and ride the dead pixel out.

Last edited:

Yep. Smaller TV's tend to be less featured than larger ones as well.

I guess people who want better TV's usually want them in bigger sizes. Those of us who use them as monitors are probably not a very large market.

At least the Asus ROG 43" 4k 120hz FreeSync2 screen and the Acer Predator 43" 4k 144hz AdaptiveSync screen should both hit this year.

Once proper monitors in this size hit, I see little reason to keep trying to use a TV as a monitor.

Yep. Smaller TV's tend to be less featured than larger ones as well.

I guess people who want better TV's usually want them in bigger sizes. Those of us who use them as monitors are probably not a very large market.

At least the Asus ROG 43" 4k 120hz FreeSync2 screen and the Acer Predator 43" 4k 144hz AdaptiveSync screen should both hit this year.

Once proper monitors in this size hit, I see little reason to keep trying to use a TV as a monitor.
I'm tired of it myself. The 2015 48" Samsung I use leaves a lot to be desired.

Once HDMI 2.1 sees wide adoption we shouldn't have to worry about all of these proprietary sync technologies. Adoption and rollout seem particularly slow, but it supports VRR and up to 120hz this time around. Normal TV models are starting to at least partially use it this year so it'll hopefully be widespread in 12-18 months.

Eh, whatever. I don't plan on upgrading my two bigscreen 4k TVs any time soon, but my PC display is a different thing.

I do use Gamestream on the Shield quite a bit but it maxes out @ 60Hz in 4k anyways. Eventually I'll want to upgrade my TVs to HDMI 2.1, but it won't be for years. I'll be shocked in the next iteration of the Shield doesn't have HDMI 2.1 ootb (or with a firmware upgrade).

Hi, I'm using 55JS9000 and the connected laptop - HD Graphics 630 + GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - can't deliver 60 Hz @ 3840x2160, 30 Hz is max. Because of that, the lag is increased - in [Game Mode] it's better, [Device Type: Game] yet to test - and the movement is scattered, not smooth like when I'm using 60 Hz @ 1080p.
https://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/Lenovo_Laptops/Lenovo_Legion_Y520_15?M=80wk00yari
Can this be a subject here too?

Artifacts on image:
[Device Type: Game] + [Game Mode]
[Device Type: ----] + [Game Mode]

Clear image clear lag :)
[Device Type: PC] + [Game Mode Off]

Last edited:
i picked up a Samsung 43" Q60 (QN43Q60RAFXZA) to try out. i'm stuck in YCbCr420, limited output dynamic range, in nvidia control panel for some reason. any ideas? i'm using the same HDMI cable i've used with my KU6300 (UN40KU6300FXZA) for a couple years now, with no problem using RGB Full output dynamic range.

Back