2011v3 xeon choices

bal3wolf

Limp Gawd
I tried to do some researching but kinda been out of the game awhile which xeons are best for x99/2011v3 and atleast 6 cores something inline with a 5820k or higher without breaking the bank no more then 400-450usd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, are you looking for computational power? Or speed/ghz power?

An E5-2650Lv3 is around the same computational power as the 5820K with 12 cores.

Otherwise an E5-2663v3 is 2.8-3.5ghz @ 10 cores

this is my gaming computer but i use it for encoding,transcoding also at times and folding mql5. Looking at prices those xeons are way out of budget im looking ot pay no more then 450 for the cpu might have to pickup a 5820k or 6800k i guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea i thk xeons are out of my budget lol i was hoping to find some cheap ones under 400 but they seem to dried up what i found months ago. My whole budget is about 1500 for a gpu, cpu, ram, motherboard and cpu. looks like i will need to get a 5820k,6800k or find a used higher end one at a good price i will get my tax refund 3rd week of feb looks like so i got time to research.

I have one of these and it seems like a pretty good deal for $175:

www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-2630-V4-ES-QK3G-2-2GHz-10Core-25MB-85W-LGA2011-3-Processor-CPU-/302201182763

It's ES, but retail stepping, so it should work in most motherboards.
Single threaded performance isn't the best, but it should play any game no problem.
Cinebench 15 numbers for me:
124 single
1288 multi
That was with some background stuff running so maybe a fresh boot would be a bit better.
That's still better than any AMD FX even overclocked, so you can think of it that way. It's also no more expensive than say a Skylake i5, but you get tons more multi-threaded power at the loss of some single core performance.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Some Xeon E5 V3 can overclock from what I read, but it's just the single socket cpus, and only some of them: E5 1650 V3, 1660 V3, 1660 V3, 1680 V3
Those have unlocked multipliers and are expensive. It's cheaper to go with the i7 line.

No E5 V4 can be overclocked. The multipliers are locked.

only 6-8 core 16XXv3 are overclockable

also single thread is critical in most (aka 99% of) games. Unless its a well known game that is multithreaded...assume it is single.

PS2, Warthunder, NS2, HL, CS, almost all gmaes are single thread unless otherwise known.

So locked xeons are terrible gaming rigs.

1650v3 is like 600 bucks and a solid choice. 4.3-4.5GHz depending on temps, voltage, quality of die, and program.

also i wanted to note a xeon is really only needed if you need ECC RAM and ECC RAM is slower and has terrible latency comparatively. If you work with sensitive data and need ECC xeon is great but if ECC is 100% useless for you than there is no reason in getting one as far as i know.

I could be mistaken but ECC is the only benefit of Xeons (unlocked 16xx ones)

this is my gaming computer but i use it for encoding,transcoding also at times and folding mql5. Looking at prices those xeons are way out of budget im looking ot pay no more then 450 for the cpu might have to pickup a 5820k or 6800k i guess.

I'd just get a 6800K.

You can't overclock most Xeons, and the ones that have high clock speeds are SUPER pricy.

yea thats likely what im going to do now 5820k or a 6800k maybe a 6850k used if i find a good deal toyed with the idea keeping my 2600k till it dies or degrades under 4.6ghz i am itching for a new system tho lol.

I'd just get a 6800K.

You can't overclock most Xeons, and the ones that have high clock speeds are SUPER pricy.
1650v3 is the same price as a 5930k or at most 20 dollars more. Unless 5930ks have dropped since broadwell E has been released. Xeons were always same price or 20 dollars more for current gen but maybe haswell es have dropped in price since broadwell e is out.

If i was OP and ECC was not needed i would wait for skylake E since 14nm+ has shown that there is a significant increase in MHz We might see 4.6-4.8GHz 6-10 cores vs these crap 4.2GHz Broadwell Es.

1650v3 is the same price as a 5930k or at most 20 dollars more. Unless 5930ks have dropped since broadwell E has been released. Xeons were always same price or 20 dollars more for current gen but maybe haswell es have dropped in price since broadwell e is out.

If i was OP and ECC was not needed i would wait for skylake E since 14nm+ has shown that there is a significant increase in MHz We might see 4.6-4.8GHz 6-10 cores vs these crap 4.2GHz Broadwell Es.

maybe thats what i will do my 2600k is serving me still even tho im using alot of volts but its stable.

The E5-1680 V3 is still an awesome chip. Fully unlocked and supports ECC as well. I have one in a Mini iTX system under a small AIO water cooler with 2x32GB of RDIMMs. I set it to 4.0GHz and left everything else on Auto. Works flawlessly...;)

The E5-1680 V3 is still an awesome chip. Fully unlocked and supports ECC as well. I have one in a Mini iTX system under a small AIO water cooler with 2x32GB of RDIMMs. I set it to 4.0GHz and left everything else on Auto. Works flawlessly...;)

yea i cant afford a 1000 usd cpu lol

its mosty a gaming rig with some encoding transcoding etc and i let mql5 run on it makes a little money using cpu cycles might get back into folding more. mosty i was thinking of xeons after i got one for my x58 they are super cheap wonderd if any on x99 were like that and turns out they arent really.

its mosty a gaming rig with some encoding transcoding etc and i let mql5 run on it makes a little money using cpu cycles might get back into folding more. mosty i was thinking of xeons after i got one for my x58 they are super cheap wonderd if any on x99 were like that and turns out they arent really.
yea if thats the case your better off just getting a skylake E system when it comes out.

Just get a 5820k for a good deal and then wait 2-3 years for those Xeons to show up on Ebay in quantity and a much lower price and have a ball.

Back