2.5" SSD for Dell Optiplex SFF?

pavel

Gawd
Hello, a boring topic, I know. With M.2 taking over - the 2.5" SSDs are dedicated to old machines nowadays. I was hoping for some opinions to get me off the fence and choose a drive. I was planning on getting one this month but $$ issues probably will stretch that to next month. The problem is these shops keep changing the price on these SSDs and I don't want to spend too much on old tech.

I am currently looking at the WD Blue 3D NAND (it has SDRAM, too). It has a Marvel controller. I don't know if that's good or bad. There's quite a few reviews on this drive and they're mostly positive. The Sandisk Ultra is virtually the same drive as the internals are more or less, the same. I am thinking of getting the 1TB as this computer is a sff and only has one port/slot for a SATA drive. The ODD drive is plugged into a SATA 2 port. I don't see the point of using that port at all. So, there's a SATA 3 slot and SATA 2 slot (ODD drive is plugged in there). The Sandisk Ultra is virtually the same drive as the internals are the same. The WD is usually the cheaper of the two. One concern is the prices constantly change - looking at newegg, amazon and one 'local' shop that sometimes has this drive in stock.

Here's two reviews:
https://www.techarp.com/reviews/1tb-wd-blue-3d-ssd-review/
https://www.thessdreview.com/featur...ltra-3d-ssd-review-1tb-twins-at-their-finest/

The Samsung SSDs are much more expensive and I wanted to limit the budget for a 2.5" SATA drive. If I was shopping for a M.2, I'd be willing to spend more. Also, Samsung 860/870 series drives supposed have queued TRIM issues in Linux. I dunno about that but I thought I'd go with the WD or Sandisk SSD.

I thought I would get some opinions and recommendations - maybe someone reading this has one of these drives?

I have a version of the WD Blue, Crucial MX500, various Team units, and a Samsung 860. Unless you are doing something unusual, they are all pretty much of a muchness. I'd say just buy whatever has a price you like and don't worry about it.

Commodity item going into a Dell. They'll all perform exactly the same and will all be a massive upgrade if you're running on a platter drive currently. Buy whatever is in stock at a good price and don't over think it.

In addition to the WD/SanDisk and Samsung units, also consider the Crucial MX500 and the SK Hynix Gold S31.
I had the Crucial MX500 in my 'list' but it's typically $15 more than the WD and other 'budget' drives. It also runs hotter (more power consumption, too?) which isn't usually an issue except I will be running it in a sff so I thought why pay another $15? If I found it on sale, that would be a different story. That was my logic, anyway.

I'm not familiar with the SK Hynix.

I have a version of the WD Blue, Crucial MX500, various Team units, and a Samsung 860. Unless you are doing something unusual, they are all pretty much of a muchness. I'd say just buy whatever has a price you like and don't worry about it.
Yeah, that is my thinking, too. I just wondered if there was something I wasn't considering.

Commodity item going into a Dell. They'll all perform exactly the same and will all be a massive upgrade if you're running on a platter drive currently. Buy whatever is in stock at a good price and don't over think it.
Yeah, I am looking at the WD - I just hope the price doesn't increase when I am ready to buy because that is typically what happens. :) I am kinda on a 'strict budget' for when I buy one - at least, currently.

I installed the Crystal Disk Info program (it runs the SMART test?) and the result showed 'Caution: Current Pending Sector Count: 48; Uncorrectable Sector Count: 48. It displays 99 for both, in the list under Current and Worst sections. How do you read those? I perceive these results as kinda significant for my HDD - probably should replace it - ASAP or at least, keep saving my data?
It's a 500GB Seagate HDD - displays 37C. I did read about the Current Pending Sector count etc. from a web search - but all I concluded is that it's not certain whether my HDD will die anytime soon or not. But, it's not ideal.

I was looking at the Samsung 870 Evo 1tb - it's on Amazon for $20 more than the WD (which increased in price, recently). The Samsung SDD is also often sold, privately, on buy & sell sites for the same price listed on Amazon - although, with gas prices - it's probably fair to say, I would have to add $15.

Thoughts? The WD 3D Blue is still probably the best 'deal.' I wish I could buy one this month but probably looking at next month. I don't want to be forced to get something immediately because the current HDD died. :)

If the data on the drive means anything to you make a back up copy of it somewhere else right now. You are over thinking the SSD. Even the cheap ones are very good. You’re not going to notice the difference with a SATA SSD. You are paying for capacity and warranty. Not much else.

Also if you’re really in a jam shoot me a PM. I have a stack of old SSD sitting around. Cover shipping and you can have one.

Also if you’re really in a jam shoot me a PM. I have a stack of old SSD sitting around. Cover shipping and you can have one.
I suspect it will be too expensive to ship but I appreciate the offer! Unfortunately, the prices keep increasing here and I will have to overpay for a SATA 3 2.5" SSD. Such is life, I guess. I narrowed it down to the WD Blue 3D, Sandisk Ultra and Samsung 870 Evo (private seller) but most likely I'll get one of the first two. Gonna copy some data on a usb and if my HDD dies, it dies. :)

I suspect it will be too expensive to ship but I appreciate the offer! Unfortunately, the prices keep increasing here and I will have to overpay for a SATA 3 2.5" SSD. Such is life, I guess. I narrowed it down to the WD Blue 3D, Sandisk Ultra and Samsung 870 Evo (private seller) but most likely I'll get one of the first two. Gonna copy some data on a usb and if my HDD dies, it dies. :)
I'm sorry the market in presumably the Rodina is screwing you. I got drunk and decided to install valheim server and steam cmd, box86 and box64 on a 8GB raspberry pi 4 last Saturday and the only disk I had sitting around was a 500GB platter drive shucked from something years ago. I ordered a 500GB samsung 870 pro for $65 USD and on Monday it came, and 83 minutes later it was cloned to ssd. now it boots and starts the server as a systemd service in about 89 seconds vs close to 1000 seconds, and it doesn't take minutes to systemstl stop valheim, or to start it after boot.

Back