2,5" hdd enclosure : usb 3 with asmedia chipset ( raspberry pi compatible)

shadowlord

2[H]4U
I'm searching for a usb 3 enclosure for a 2,5" hdd with asmedia chipset.

The current one i'm using, utilizes a jmicron chipset which seems to cause trouble with OMV and my raspberry pi. ( resulting in very low write speeds)

We are currently in lockdown no.3 so EU online availability would be great.

Should be an enclosure, not just a sata to usb cable.

Unfortunately amazon is not listing the implemented chipset for most of the offered enclosures. ( as do the manufacturer homepages)

The one i'm currently using, utilizes a jmicron chipset resulting in some strange compatibility issue with open media vault on my raspberry pi, resulting in write speeds under 10Mb/s.
If found information that indicates asmedia chipset enclosures to work without this problem.

currently checking mwroobel's suggestion which looks promising.

... trouble with OMV ... ( resulting in very low write speeds)
I bet you need to enable Write_Caching on the drive (ie, nothing wrong with your enclosure/bridge_chip).
(Your read speeds are just fine, right??)

If I'm right, you need to ask OMV people WHY!! they are so "insistent" on disabling it (either explicitly, or by deceiving the user to do it [ie, "check this box if ..."]) Yes, I've seen this in other scenarios/forums and the common link is OMV & Write_Cache_Disable.

The closest I will ever get to having OMV on any computer system will be this (a reference in a forum posting) ... feh!!
-------
"When you make something "idiot-proof", only idiots will want to use it."

Last edited:
Found an older one by Fantec at work. Works fine with the asmedia chip so far.

Back