120mm fans

bal3wolf

Limp Gawd
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
yea i looked at the ml also not sure what real differnce in them and sp need to do more research.

I just picked up 6 Corsair 120mm ML fans for my rads . https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Prem...742298&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=corsair+120mm+ml
If you get the 2 pack they are 32.99 for 2. From reviews they can run dead silent or wide open and have good pressure. I'm still in the middle of my build so haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

Those are getting up there in price. Has anyone reviewed in a radiator setting? I haven't seen anyone do a real test with them like from bundy, martin, etc. At 16 bucks ea, that's entering GT pricing so it's getting up there. The closest to water was another simple review. Dissecting the charts does seem to show the ML having more static pressure, however looking at the actual speed vs voltage it clearly shows the ML spin faster per volt. That means while other fans are running at 1000rpm, the ML are spinning at 1600rpm so you have to put that into context. The next fastest fan per volt is still 200rpms slower. I'd really like to see these go up against some AP15s, 29s, 45s, or some Darksides. Then we'll see what is what.

http://www.watercooled.ch/corsair-ml120-pro-led-fan-review/

yea i looked at the ml also not sure what real differnce in them and sp need to do more research.

**Also, the key difference with Gentle Typhoons is that they push more static pressure than all other fans at 200-300rpm less rotations, not the other way around via more speed per volt. The ML are obviously very efficient per volt but they don't seem to have any more static pressure per rpm, in other words the design isn't creating more static pressure intrinsic to its design, like the GTs.

Last edited:
yea i looked at typhoons id really like to spend less then 150-160 on 8 fans thats around 18-19 a fan tops but i dont want loud fans that dont push decent static pressure also.

yea i looked at typhoons id really like to spend less then 150-160 on 8 fans thats around 18-19 a fan tops but i dont want loud fans that dont push decent static pressure also.

I suppose you're going to have to compromise if the price limit is hard. For me, my GTs are an investment because they literally last forever. I'm still using AP15s that I bought over 5 years ago. I'm glad I stocked up when they were as low as 12 a piece.

GT's are really hard to beat when it comes to choosing a high quality/great static pressure radiator fan. They are very quiet (at least to my ears) and really perform well - puts others to shame. I've got 14 in a push/pull setup and they have been extremely reliable. Only knock against them is price... but you get what you pay for. No regrets here, they are worth it.

somthing someone linked me was looking for reviews for them lol, lol stupid migrains making my hearing so senstive i used to run 12 yate loons at 100% without a issue lol. Ran a sound meter on my phone showing 40-45 db with my current fans on 60% about 1800-9000 rpms at 100% 2000-2200 rpm i have them set to quiet mode they hit 50db It might just be the hum they put out that annoys me or somthing.

what about these i know they dont look special but have decent stats if they can be belived.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/koolance-fan-120x25mm-fan-12025hbk.html#Specifications

Last edited:
If you are using Yates, anything will be an upgrade cuz those things don't last and when the sleeves start wearing they get loud!

If you are using Yates, anything will be an upgrade cuz those things don't last and when the sleeves start wearing they get loud!

im not right now i did in the past yea they wear out and they grind but i got 3 years out of them and paid like 20 bucks for 15 fans but they pushed great air and static pressure even turned down when i moved my pc to a new case i got new fans. I currenty have cooler master masterfan pro 120s air pressure their listed db is a joke in quiet mode suppsoe to be 30db my phones saying 50db.
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/case-fan/masterfan-pro-120-ap/

im not right now i did in the past yea they wear out and they grind and whine i currenty have cooler master masterfan pro 120s air pressure their listed db is a joke in quiet mode suppsoe to be 30db my phones saying 50db.
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/case-fan/masterfan-pro-120-ap/

Yea, hehe I went thru Yates myself too. When I first got into wc, Yates were all I could afford, or more like what I perceived fans to be worth. Who knew they could make such a difference to your piece of mind? I quickly grew out of them. Oh btw, look here, took me a minute to dig up martin's old testing. Take your time and watch the individual tests noting the metrics. Then you can line up the fans at whatever metric and really compare them.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Martinm210/videos

cool
what do you think of Thermaltake Riing 12 High Static Pressure LED i have a 140 in back of my case and its near silent wonder how thier 120s fare price is in budget.

cool
what do you think of Thermaltake Riing 12 High Static Pressure LED i have a 140 in back of my case and its near silent wonder how thier 120s fare price is in budget.

Hmm, sorry I don't really have an opinion of them, haven't used them before etc. As far as 140 vs 120, 120s will generally be stronger than 140s.

thanks for the help im on perf pc looking thru the fans by db and cfm then looking at their static pressure, be a few weeks befor i buy any likely so got time to research sucks being laid up with a bad sprained ankle got to much time to look at stuff i need replace lol.

thanks for the help im on perf pc looking thru the fans by db and cfm then looking at their static pressure, be a few weeks befor i buy any likely so got time to research sucks being laid up with a bad sprained ankle got to much time to look at stuff i need replace lol.

Ignore or at least be very skeptical of the stats, 98% of the time they are pure bullshit, no bullshit. Hope yer ankle heals quick. Being a gimp sucks.

yea it sucks they put me in a walking boot i can move around but it sucks better then crutches tho, yea after i find a fan has good stats i try to find a review of it i made the mistake on these cm fans believing their stats i did get them at a great deal tho sence a friend knows someone at cooler master but still don't mean much if you dont like what you buy your never happy.

I did find the be quiet! SILENTWINGS 3 to be pretty nice and seems to get pretty decent reviews and right in my price range. vardars are nice to and so are gts looking at videos of them all. Of all of them so far the silentwings 3 seem to be the most quiet of all of them.

Last edited:
Ek vardar fans are quite good - check out some of the reviews online. I have a few vardar f2 fans and they do get loud-ish at full speed, but pretty much anything above 700rpm will be loud (depends on what you consider loud, though). The good thing is that their "loud" is less annoying than some other fans - it's pretty much just a low pitched whooshing of air.

Here is a decent review of the ml120s http://thermalbench.com/2016/07/12/corsair-ml120-pro-120-mm-fan/

While I loved my GTs , I have had them in several builds. They make this noise that drives me crazy. Like a high pitched noise. So I wanted to try something different. Whish I had a GT fan that I could hook up and compare to these fans. The ML120s have to be ran off of pwm so they can spin up and down properly. It's gone over in the review I linked. Under about 1600 rpm these same to be damn near silent. I will be running them on dual xspc ex360 rads. Should be able to cool my CPU and dual 1080s at or below 1600rpm. Pretty sure I have some Corsair SP fans I could hook up to compare to one of these.

Just don't get these fans. This is the rear exhaust fan on my case and I think it's the same kind they use in leaf blowers as that is what it sounds like when it ramps up to 100%, lol
pulls up to 40 watts.
IMG_0864.JPG

Here is a decent review of the ml120s http://thermalbench.com/2016/07/12/corsair-ml120-pro-120-mm-fan/

While I loved my GTs , I have had them in several builds. They make this noise that drives me crazy. Like a high pitched noise. So I wanted to try something different. Whish I had a GT fan that I could hook up and compare to these fans. The ML120s have to be ran off of pwm so they can spin up and down properly. It's gone over in the review I linked. Under about 1600 rpm these same to be damn near silent. I will be running them on dual xspc ex360 rads. Should be able to cool my CPU and dual 1080s at or below 1600rpm. Pretty sure I have some Corsair SP fans I could hook up to compare to one of these.

Did you look at the charts carefully? It's not a good review because it omits the third metric from every test, really annoying. It's like they don't want you to actually compare apples to apples. The ML have to spin 400-500 rpm higher to achieve similar airflow. Granted it really comes down to how they sound because if they have to spin to 1600rpm to achieve the same airflow as a Vardar at 1100rpm... I'm not sure there is a point. The Vardar at 1100rpm put out as noise as the ML at 1600rpm at the same airflow.

Just don't get these fans. This is the rear exhaust fan on my case and I think it's the same kind they use in leaf blowers as that is what it sounds like when it ramps up to 100%, lol
pulls up to 40 watts.
View attachment 15826

haha 3.3amps yea that uses more then all 8 of my fans in my system right now.

Did you look at the charts carefully? It's not a good review because it omits the third metric from every test, really annoying. It's like they don't want you to actually compare apples to apples. The ML have to spin 400-500 rpm higher to achieve similar airflow. Granted it really comes down to how they sound because if they have to spin to 1600rpm to achieve the same airflow as a Vardar at 1100rpm... I'm not sure there is a point. The Vardar at 1100rpm put out as noise as the ML at 1600rpm at the same airflow.

i found their reviews to be hard to compare at times to.

For super cheap budget fans, the AC F12 fans are a good option. Many reviews they come close to the GT fans on noise to temp delta, with the GTs winning out. That was on lower FPI rads however, and at higher speeds the GTs started to pull ahead a good deal. Many noted the F12 were "smoother" than the GTs however. I think a lot of that comes to the noise some people get from the GT, my AP14s never had any odd noises or high pitched sounds, but I have heard it from other peoples AP14s. Many people believe it had to do with how they were handled/shipped or possibly batch they came from. The F12's however at $5 a pop are hard to beat, they do have a very cheap feel with very light frames/wires, the AP14 feels like a tank when having both in your hands. With that said, my F12s have all worked fine and have been going for a few years now in my server. So being only $5, and working, I can't really fault them for feeling cheap....Because they are.

My vote is to make the investment into the GTs, great fans built like a tank that beat out most others for performance/noise ratio.

For super cheap budget fans, the AC F12 fans are a good option. Many reviews they come close to the GT fans on noise to temp delta, with the GTs winning out. That was on lower FPI rads however, and at higher speeds the GTs started to pull ahead a good deal. Many noted the F12 were "smoother" than the GTs however. I think a lot of that comes to the noise some people get from the GT, my AP14s never had any odd noises or high pitched sounds, but I have heard it from other peoples AP14s. Many people believe it had to do with how they were handled/shipped or possibly batch they came from. The F12's however at $5 a pop are hard to beat, they do have a very cheap feel with very light frames/wires, the AP14 feels like a tank when having both in your hands. With that said, my F12s have all worked fine and have been going for a few years now in my server. So being only $5, and working, I can't really fault them for feeling cheap....Because they are.

My vote is to make the investment into the GTs, great fans built like a tank that beat out most others for performance/noise ratio.

The F12 are ok for cheap fans, they're slightly better than Yates. They do look good with their high blade count in white. However they are really over driven with the hair thin wiring and small motors. With any sort of resistance they fall off and there is some annoying noise. At first glance they "seem" good but after a while once you start to get used to the quiet, the noise starts to pop out. I've owned a few in my time but years and years ago. I wouldn't buy any now for rads. For case duty, I'd spend the 5 extra for Prolimatech Blues.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...ator-Round-6&p=4617007&viewfull=1#post4617007

i might not be able to order anything i got a tooth hurting and you guys know how much any dental visit costs all pc upgrades might be put on a long hold, if i do get fans right now im favoring the silent wings 3 watched mutiple reviews and they always seemed to be the most quiet even more so then the GT's and they come with a 3 year warranty for a fan thats pretty nice.

Back