120mm AIO on a 10850k?

Cook_1

[H]ard|Gawd
Due to my desk layout if I want to view my PC components (which I do) I need an inverted case so the window is on the right side. After asking on these forums and looking around I really like TT 100 Mini, however the largest AIO it can fit is 120mm. I was originally going to snag a 10700 as I don't plan on overclocking and then pair it with a 120mm aio with this case. I really like this case because of the looks that fit my desk setup and it can house larger GPUs and full size PSUs.

So, will a 120 mm AIO be able to keep a non OC'd 10850k cooled? Other options would be to look at trading this for a 10700 in the Buy/Sell/Trade section or finding another case that can house a larger AIO (Wish the Corsair 600C wasn't discontinued!).

I use this PC for gaming (WoW, FFXIV, Civ V) and web browsing, so it's not doing anything too extensive. It will have my RTX 2070 with it until the prices go down on the RTX 3080s (which will be awhile).

Last edited:
You could probably get away with it if you disable MCE in the BIOS so the voltage doesn't run away. A big contributor to the heat these processors put out is MCE pushing voltage up to 1.4V or higher.

Due to my desk layout if I want to view my PC components (which I do) I need an inverted case so the window is on the right side. After asking on these forums and looking around I really like TT 100 Mini, however the largest AIO it can fit is 120mm. I was originally going to snag a 10700 as I don't plan on overclocking and then pair it with a 120mm aio with this case. I really like this case because of the looks that fit my desk setup and it can house larger GPUs and full size PSUs.

So, will a 120 mm AIO be able to keep a non OC'd 10850k cooled? Other options would be to look at trading this for a 10700 in the Buy/Sell/Trade section or finding another case that can house a larger AIO (Wish the Corsair 600C wasn't discontinued!).

I use this PC for gaming (WoW, FFXIV, Civ V) and web browsing, so it's not doing anything too extensive. It will have my RTX 2070 with it until the prices go down on the RTX 3080s (which will be awhile).
Get a Noctua D15. It will easily fit in that case and cools as well as many AIO's and will likely be quieter than man AIO's due to large heatsink and large fans.

I have a similar case to the tt100 for my htpc, an EVGA Hadron AIR (Same layout just rotated). I would echo the above with the Noctua D15 as a solid air cooler can match and out perform a AIO style. I actuall have a Cryorig M9i with AMD kit and it handles the cpu well... and very similar to the l7i little brother of the D15.

If you must have an AIO then go for something with a thick radiator and push-pull (fans on both sides blowing in the same direction), if possible. Performance wise it will probably lose to high quality tower based air cooling with 120mm fans or larger and most likely in the noise department as well.

Personally I would go with an air cooler in this case. My favorite for a mid sized air cooler with very good performance and low noise is the Noctua NH-U12A due to its moderate size and perhaps the best fans around for quiet cooling. Color scheme is not for everyone though and it is expensive for air. Granted the AIO will look much cleaner through a window than any aircooler and once max boost is over then a good 120mm AIO should be fine, but probably slightly on the hotter side with high fan speed. The CPU should adjust itself to the cooling so at most you will lose a bit of boost performance.

Rather interesting about this case is that there is a 120mm fan under the mobo. You can just fit an AIO rad and fan. You could probably put the board up on some standoffs to get a lot more space.

Alright, pulled the trigger on this and I am rather happy with the outcome.

Picked up an overpriced 3070 from Ebay (huge card and this case fit it), switched out the 120 mm fans for 140 and with the games I play I have never seen the CPU go above 62C. I used the optional 3rd fan location which I believe helps. I need to get better cable management done on it and I'm waiting on a LCD screen from China to finish off the build before I post some pics (doing an internal LCD screen with temps/etc.).

Alright, pulled the trigger on this and I am rather happy with the outcome.

Picked up an overpriced 3070 from Ebay (huge card and this case fit it), switched out the 120 mm fans for 140 and with the games I play I have never seen the CPU go above 62C. I used the optional 3rd fan location which I believe helps. I need to get better cable management done on it and I'm waiting on a LCD screen from China to finish off the build before I post some pics (doing an internal LCD screen with temps/etc.).
What kind of cooler did you go with? Just curious :)

Went with the Thermaltake TH120 using a 140 mm fan with it though.

Back