11900K Benched

Well, this sucks.

The Strix Z590-i has two m.2 slots, but since one of them is pcie4, its disabled if you use a 10th gen cpu.

Of course its the slot where I put my boot drive...
It's not because that slot is gen 4, it's because the slot is run from the CPU instead of the chipset. Only the 11th gen CPUs have the PCI-e lanes to run the slot at all. It's the same on all of the z590 boards.

It's not because that slot is gen 4, it's because the slot is run from the CPU instead of the chipset. Only the 11th gen CPUs have the PCI-e lanes to run the slot at all. It's the same on all of the z590 boards.

Oh.

My $549.99 Best Buy 11900K finally shipped today! I get it this weekend!

That us good news, congrats.

The 10900k is working well for me. It clocks all cores to 4.9 (and one to 5.1) and never goes over 60C under load (and a lot of water).

That us good news, congrats.

The 10900k is working well for me. It clocks all cores to 4.9 (and one to 5.1) and never goes over 60C under load (and a lot of water).
Awesome! 10900K was probably the right way to go but I yolo'd for the $150 extra (I'm lucky to have a Micro Center 5 minutes away so the $400 price on the 10900K is an option for me). It's my first "custom" water cooling build (Bitspower Titan X 1.2) so I'm excited.

Just in time, too - RMA needed for my 5950X, lol. Experiencing this crap.

Last edited:
Amazon had the 11900K for $630 and said it would arrive June 11

I thought - why not order it and think about it?

The next day, it updated to say it would come on May 11 - a week and a half.

Such a hassle to replace a liquid cooled CPU, but I would like to get my 2TB NVME back

I'm assuming a 10900k isn't that hard to sell so it's probably a $200-250 difference.

Amazon had the 11900K for $630 and said it would arrive June 11

I thought - why not order it and think about it?

The next day, it updated to say it would come on May 11 - a week and a half.

Such a hassle to replace a liquid cooled CPU, but I would like to get my 2TB NVME back

I'm assuming a 10900k isn't that hard to sell so it's probably a $200-250 difference.
I'm real happy with my choice to wait for the 11900K over getting a 10900K. It's worth it, IMO. Boosts to 5.3 GHz with ABT (ASUS Z590-E with latest beta firmware). Using 980 Pro NVMEs. Pic here - https://hardforum.com/threads/first...longer-will-power-on.2009571/#post-1044999464.

Last edited:
The only thing this build is missing is the $1k mobo.
Yes, lots of choices dictated to me by the kit, but I did my best to change it up! Believe it or not, as much as I drop on builds, not a believer in big, bad mobos, anymore. Back in the day I would ball out with the big dog boards (my MSI X99A-XPOWER just died last week - RIP) but since SLI is dead there's not much point. Out of all things, the diminishing returns are so high on stupid expensive mobos. Hell, the Z590-E at $380 was $$$ to me.

Yes, lots of choices dictated to me by the kit, but I did my best to change it up! Believe it or not, as much as I drop on builds, not a believer in big, bad mobos, anymore. Back in the day I would ball out with the big dog boards (my MSI X99A-XPOWER just died last week - RIP) but since SLI is dead there's not much point. Out of all things, the diminishing returns are so high on stupid expensive mobos. Hell, the Z590-E at $380 was $$$ to me.
The Strix Z590-i was about the same price - the Strix ITX boards are usually 189-229 but I chalked it up to the current state of the world.

I wish they would make premium ITX boards - the loudest thing in my office right now is the VRM fan on this dumb board - and there are no itx boards with a full monoblock - why?

Also, I canceled the 11900k order. I'm probably going to jump to the next gen platform in the next year so why fiddle with a few percent here and there for $660? - remember when that could buy a nice GPU?

What a state we are in boys.

The Strix Z590-i was about the same price - the Strix ITX boards are usually 189-229 but I chalked it up to the current state of the world.

I wish they would make premium ITX boards - the loudest thing in my office right now is the VRM fan on this dumb board - and there are no itx boards with a full monoblock - why?

Also, I canceled the 11900k order. I'm probably going to jump to the next gen platform in the next year so why fiddle with a few percent here and there for $660? - remember when that could buy a nice GPU?

Good move! If I didn't buy a kit to get a 3080 I'd be standing pat, myself. Lots of cool stuff to shakeout later this year and next year (as always though, haha)!

Gigabyte's high end Z590 itx boards do not have active cooling and are only a couple of degrees warmer than the actively cooled competition

Gigabyte's high end Z590 itx boards do not have active cooling and are only a couple of degrees warmer than the actively cooled competition
Thanks - I strongly prefer the Asus ecosystem as it works well for me (and I've met plenty who can't stand it and say it's really buggy) but I also strongly prefer to not hear a vrm fan so...

Why does nobody make an ITX monoblock? gah!

I thought about the 11900K until how close I saw the specifications were to the 11700K. Both CPU's most likely perform almost identical when overclocked.

Good move! If I didn't buy a kit to get a 3080 I'd be standing pat, myself. Lots of cool stuff to shakeout later this year and next year (as always though, haha)!
Well, then BB had it for about 511 so I reordered it.

:) That's where I got mine. Same price, actually - gotta love reward certs.

Well, then BB had it for about 511 so I reordered it.

Well, I ordered a 11900k, put it up on the shelf until I coukd get to it.

Today, I got to it and those BB bastages sent me a 10900K!

I was so mad, I pulled up the invoice and somehow the hacked my email and changed the invoice from 11900k to 10900k to cover their tracks! :p - and of course the return period expired 2 days ago.

Anyway, Amazon is sending me one tomorrow. I read it 3X to make sure. And I have two 10900K cpus to divest. Good times...

Edit:

BB was cool and took the 10900k return because I'm an "Elite Member" and get 30 day returns.
You read that right, ELITE MEMBER - sorry, no autographs or interviews.

Last edited:
So that statement actually is completely true. But not the whole story. I was faced with the decision of Z590 ITX boards and was also between the Gigabyte and Asus.
The Asus Z590-i is cooler than the Gigabyte both with the Asus's VRM fan on, and with it completely disabled. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-rog-strix-z590-i-gaming-wifi/15.html

Once I saw that, it was go-time on the Asus Z590-i for me. And I do love the board with my 11900K. It's kind of unreal with ABT enabled that this thing is under warranty and runs at 5.3GHz on 7 of 8 cores simultaneously often on the desktop, and holds it. Buttery smooth to say the least. USB 4.0 / TB4, Bluetooth 5.2 built in, for me the 2.5Gb ethernet is new, and the Rocket Lake architecture fixes for the Skylake L0 cache and parity errors. Other than IO updates, that's really the benefit to these chips that reviewers neglect, the bugfixes from Skylake, long overdue.

Back