11600k Overheating Help

tylertoast

Limp Gawd
Hiya all!

Over the last couple of days I've been trying to troubleshoot an overheating issue im having with a new build I did last month.

This is my first personal micro atx build, and I can't seem to get a handle on temps whatsoever. I've built several computers, watched enough LTT videos to do pretty much anything computer-related. Understand how negative and positive pressure work but am still at a standstill.

The build is;
Corsair 280x (this may be the problem?)
32gb 3200mhz
1080ti
RM750
MSI Core 240mm AIO (maybe this is it?)

I did all the basics, reapplied thermal paste. (it's that corsair tm30, you guys have good luck with that?) Checked that the CPU block was secure and ran prime 95. CPU got to 105 degrees before the computer turned itself off.

My second troubleshooting was thinking maybe there was air in the pump as this AIO is a weird design and has the pump in the radiator. So I switched the radiator to be an intake instead of an exhaust and put it on the front of the case instead of the top, so the pump was at the lowest point in the system. This seemed to help a little, with prime 95 running on max the system would max out at 85 degrees. For it being 11th gen and pulling 230watts at the time I was happy with that.

Yesterday, 3 days after I did that I was playing Disco Esylum (an amazing game btw) I had a good session, probably about 6 hours and the computer overheated. As soon as the computer turns back on I open HWMonitor and I'm dropping from 80 degrees back to my idle of 50-60 degrees.

At this point, I'm lost, maybe it's a bad CPU cooler; too small for this Micro ATX Case? Maybe I keep getting air stuck in there? Maybe the case is just too small in general for what I'm trying to do?

Any insight would be helpful. I'm really thinking about switching to a corsair AIO with a 280mm radiator with a traditional pump and using it as an exhaust again and seeing how it could go but would much rather get advice before I drop more money into this thing.

Thanks in advance all!

are the tubes long enough to front mount the aio as intake, tubes at bottom? a 280 would be a good bump in cooling and may be what is needed. whats your ambient temp?

It's strange that you were able to get OK temps in Prime 95 but then overheated in a game with the AIO set up as intake. 50-60C idle is not a normal temp. I wonder if maybe the AIO lived a very short life because it wasn't installed right in the beginning. What happens if you try Prime 95 again?

are the tubes long enough to front mount the aio as intake, tubes at bottom? a 280 would be a good bump in cooling and may be what is needed. whats your ambient temp?
Tubes are at the bottom front of the case and run in front of the GPU to the CPU. The tubes touch the GPU with the side panel on so its been running wide open since I've made the switch. Not sure on ambient temps

It's strange that you were able to get OK temps in Prime 95 but then overheated in a game with the AIO set up as intake. 50-60C idle is not a normal temp. I wonder if maybe the AIO lived a very short life because it wasn't installed right in the beginning. What happens if you try Prime 95 again?
It's for sure possible on the lifespan for the AIO. Ill run Prime95 again after work today. My thesis for the overheating most recently is the GPU and the radiator are fairly close. My GPU works about 70% in that game and was probably producing heat pretty close to the pump/radiator.

11600k run hot for a 6 core. But they aren't truly difficult to cool (except when running an AVX-512 heavy workload). A 240mm AIO is overkill for an 11600k, really.

I would blame the AIO being bad and try a different cooler.

I would also not use prime 95 as a cooling goal. Use Cinibench R23 or encode a video in handbrake or staxrip.

I was cooling an 11700 non-k with the turbo and power limits completely opened up----in a mini itx case with an Bequiet Shadow Rock TF2. I would hit early 80's running Cinibench R23 multicore for 10 minutes. An AIO would have dropped a lot off that. The Shadow Rock TF2 is good for about 165w before its saturated and can't handle more. Whereas an 240mm aio is good for about 185w. I suppose you could push an 11600k that far with an overclock. But I don't think you mentioned that.

Back