10900k vs 10900kf

Pkirk618

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys. I purchased a PC (prebuilt) at Microcenter. It reads on the box 10900kf but CPUZ reads 10900k. I know they're similar but is this something I should bring to their attention? My receipt and warranty say KF so I'm trying to foresee problems ahead of time. Suiggestions?

Hey guys. I purchased a PC (prebuilt) at Microcenter. It reads on the box 10900kf but CPUZ reads 10900k. I know they're similar but is this something I should bring to their attention? My receipt and warranty say KF so I'm trying to foresee problems ahead of time. Suiggestions?

The Core i9-10900K and Core i9-10900KF are literally the same CPU physically. The only difference is that the KF models have their iGPU disabled.

regarding warranty services if I ever needed it, do you think this is a problem? I mean it says it's a 10900k but my paperwork says otherwise.

regarding warranty services if I ever needed it, do you think this is a problem? I mean it says it's a 10900k but my paperwork says otherwise.

How is it marked? Physically I mean. The serial number matching is all that really matters though.

No serial numbers on the box. Just marketed as a 10900kf. I know this sounds trivial.

This won't be a warranty issue. You were upgraded because they weren't able to fill the build order for some reason with the kf sku but had k's available. If you want peace of mind shoot customer service an email to document then just go on enjoying your new system.

I removed the cooler and it is a 10900k and not the kf variant? Which one is better anyway? I mean, is there a disadvantage to having a IGP?

As of the last generation, there were some INITIAL rumblings that the KF's could overclock better since the iGPU was off and didn't produce extra heat. Not sure about the truth though.

Likely, there is really no difference since the iGPU mostly sits idle/unused anyway.

To me, there is no disadvantage. In fact, I think of it as an advantage. If you sold off your GPU to pre order non existent cards like the 3070/80/90, at least you'd still have a working computer ;)

I removed the cooler and it is a 10900k and not the kf variant? Which one is better anyway? I mean, is there a disadvantage to having a IGP?
I agree you came out ahead, if you needed to pull your gpu for some reason you have a basic one. You have intel quicksync with the integrated gpu for transcodes. There are more positives to having the k vs the kf cpu.

I agree you came out ahead, if you needed to pull your gpu for some reason you have a basic one. You have intel quicksync with the integrated gpu for transcodes. There are more positives to having the k vs the kf cpu.
I agree. I called Microcenter though because I was afraid this would somehow mess with my warranty. One scenario I played out was them saying because I switched cpus I voided something -- or along those lines.

Reactions: Mylex
like this
update: they checked other systems and they too had the same processor as mine despite labels all over the place designating the other variant. I don't really care like I said, just don't give me any crap if it's different than spec'd if I ever need service.

Back