10600k Voltage & Slight Temp Issue/Confusion

I'm having some confusion with finding what the actual stock voltages should be and why my temps seem to be increased and, in general, a bit warm.

When first built this system (I've been building for 15 years) with the i5 10600k, Game Boost was on in the bios, which OC'd me and the temps we stupidly high. So, upon turning it off, they dropped dramatically.

However, this CPU jumps all over the place even with the slightest actions (opening browsers, progs etc).

Currently, here are the settings:

Clock Speed: 4.1MHz (which is stock clock)
IA: 1.382V (close to 1.4V which is OC level with Game boost on, but OC is off)
Idle Temps: 30-35C (approx; depending on room temp)
Load Temps: highest 75C (package) 65-73C across all cores (generally, though it seemed cooler a month ago) at max, tend to hove in high 60's/low 70's in games like Dying Light and the new Outriders is pushing my CPU to mid 70's constantly.
TIM: Arctic Silver 5 (it's what I've had on-hand, I don't bother with "burn-in" necessarily and never really have, as TIM works fine as is usually)
Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
MOBO: MSI MEG Z490 ACE

Excellent front-to-back airflow.

Basically, are these settings correct and seeming normal/in conjunction with one another as they should be?
Are running at these temps on this CPU safe for long-term?
Because my system is never off and I game at least six hours a day.

My 6600k maybe would hit such temps at times, but this CPU definitely gets hotter.

Temps you see in the screenshot do not always stay that high and do tend to stay in low-to-high 60's but it's very variable and changes constantly.

Now, again, I'm not necessarily hovering at high temps while gaming, though it does seem to be staying in mid-to-high 60's which is warmer than it should be, especially the fact that it spikes all over the place and max temps show it's hit mid-to-high 70's at various times.

Any info appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• CPU Temps Dying Light New.png
    CPU Temps Dying Light New.png
    28 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What temps do you get on prime95 (small fft's) ?

What cooler
What motherboard

What temps do you get on prime95 (small fft's) ?

What cooler
What motherboard
Just updated my OP with cooler and mobo.
I don't bother with prime95 etc anymore. I go by real world results.
But the question is, are the voltages vs clocks and temps looking accurate for stock settings and safe for this CPU?

Something is definitely wrong. 10600k should do 4.6/4.5ghz all core boost.

I have a 10700F and it does 1.228v (says CPU-Z) for 4.6ghz all core in Cinibench R23 multicore test (with the turbo values set to turbo all day).

All that said---A Hyper 212 Evo is a budget option even for a 10600k. So even when you get your voltage and clockspeeds sorted, I wouldn't expect amazing temps. They use a lot of power. But you should be able to get a lower voltage and bring the temps down a bit. 1.4v is what you use to crack 5ghz, etc.

I would make sure you have the latest bios and also double check that you don't have some sort of enhancement feature turned on try to get it back to stock behavior and then tune it up from there. MSI boards love to auto enable mulit-core enhancement and other things like that.

Last edited:
Something is definitely wrong. 10600k should do 4.6/4.5ghz all core boost.

I have a 10700F and it does 1.228v (says CPU-Z) for 4.6ghz all core in Cinibench R23 multicore test (with the turbo values set to turbo all day).

All that said---A Hyper 212 Evo is a budget option even for a 10600k. So even when you get your voltage and clockspeeds sorted, I wouldn't expect amazing temps. They use a lot of power. But you should be able to get a lower voltage and bring the temps down a bit. 1.4v is what you use to crack 5ghz, etc.

I would make sure you have the latest bios and also double check that you don't have some sort of enhancement feature turned on try to get it back to stock behavior and then tune it up from there. MSI boards love to auto enable mulit-core enhancement and other things like that.
Appreciate the response.

Note:
HWMonitor is reading CPU VCORE @ 1.354 which I believe is where it should be at stock.
But it's reading IA under Voltages @ 1.382.
Is this discrepancy normal? Or am I actually running at proper voltage and this cooler just isn't doing the job?

Well, I'm not sure what to do in this situation. I've checked the BIOS multiple times and I see no other form of boosting enabled. What other enhancement should I be looking for? Maybe I'm missing something or unaware that this mobo has a certain setting called something I'm not clear on that's boosting the CPU.

CPU is still at 1.38v @4.1GHz and my temps are still in high 60's and low-to-mid 70's depending on the game I'm playing.

I don't want to have to undervolt just to get better temps but I'm not sure what else to look for here since the voltage is indeed almost at what it would be with Game Boost on, which I have turned off.

Just to double-check: do you happen to know what the actual stock voltage is for the 10600k?
I've it listed at 1.35v in only one place that was supposedly the official specs, but if being only slightly above that at 1.38v is causing temp issues, then I definitely don't get what's going on.

The 212 Evo used to be considered decent and worked very well in push/pull on my previous CPUs but I can look into something else. But something seems up with this voltage.

Last edited:
Appreciate the response.

Well, I'm not sure what to do in this situation. I've checked the BIOS multiple times and I see no other form of boosting enabled. What other enhancement should I be looking for? Maybe I'm missing something or unaware that this mobo has a certain setting called something I'm not clear on that's boosting the CPU.

CPU is still at 1.38v @4.1GHz and my temps are still in high 60's and low-to-mid 70's depending on the game I'm playing.

I don't want to have to undervolt just to get better temps but I'm not sure what else to look for here since the voltage is indeed almost at what it would be with Game Boost on, which I have turned off.

Just to double-check: do you happen to know what the actual stock voltage is for the 10600k?
I've it listed at 1.35v in only one place that was supposedly the official specs, but if being only slightly above that at 1.38v is causing temp issues, then I definitely don't get what's going on.

The 212 Evo used to be considered decent and worked very well in push/pull on my previous CPUs but I can look into something else. But something seems up with this voltage.
you can manually lower you voltage and yes, replace the 212. its not nearly good enough for the 10 series, well maybe an i3...

you can manually lower you voltage and yes, replace the 212. its not nearly good enough for the 10 series, well maybe an i3...
Yes, I know I can manually lower my voltage, but the point is that I do not want to have to if 1.35v is actually what it should be running at stock speeds. So that really doesn't answer any of what I've asked, thanks.

Appreciate the response.

Note:
HWMonitor is reading CPU VCORE @ 1.354 which I believe is where it should be at stock.
But it's reading IA under Voltages @ 1.382.
Is this discrepancy normal? Or am I actually running at proper voltage and this cooler just isn't doing the job?

What program are you using to see your CPU's clock speed? Can you watch the speed change?

Your voltage is high. something isn't right. You need to comb through your bios and wrangle the settings.

which motherboard do you have? I might be able to read the online manual and help a little better, if the manual is good. or take some pics of your overclocking screens and your screen for CPU settings.

Yes, I know I can manually lower my voltage, but the point is that I do not want to have to if 1.35v is actually what it should be running at stock speeds. So that really doesn't answer any of what I've asked, thanks.
if you use google you will see that your voltage is good for up to 5G+, so id say you can lower it. normal is like 1.25. thats the perfect attitude while asking for help too....

if you use google you will see that your voltage is good for up to 5G+, so id say you can lower it. normal is like 1.25. thats the perfect attitude while asking for help too....
No attitude was intended.

I've Googled it many times, finding what the proper stock voltage is for the 10600k has been impossible. I'm always coming across OC forums with people discussing higher clocks/voltages.

Well, I dropped the voltage to 1.219v and am currently in-game (Rage 2) and my temps haven't hit above 60C and my system seems stable thus far.

So now my VCORE is at 1.219v and IA reading 1.249v.

If you or anyone has been able to find the official specs sheet for this CPU and have a link, that would be great, because I've been completely unable to find it anywhere.

But as long as it's stable and my FPS is staying high, I suppose it's a good deal for the moment and even the 212 Evo is doing fine at that voltage for the moment.

No attitude was intended.

I've Googled it many times, finding what the proper stock voltage is for the 10600k has been impossible. I'm always coming across OC forums with people discussing higher clocks/voltages.

Well, I dropped the voltage to 1.219v and am currently in-game (Rage 2) and my temps haven't hit above 60C and my system seems stable thus far.

So now my VCORE is at 1.219v and IA reading 1.249v.

If you or anyone has been able to find the official specs sheet for this CPU and have a link, that would be great, because I've been completely unable to find it anywhere.

But as long as it's stable and my FPS is staying high, I suppose it's a good deal for the moment and even the 212 Evo is doing fine at that voltage for the moment.
ok, text confusion i guess.
running stock the 212 might get you by. there is no real "stock voltage", each chip varies a little, i even looked in the data sheet. ive seen them running stockt at 1.2ish, [email protected] and 5.2 at 1.3ish and a bunch in between.

ok, text confusion i guess.
running stock the 212 might get you by. there is no real "stock voltage", each chip varies a little, i even looked in the data sheet. ive seen them running stockt at 1.2ish, [email protected] and 5.2 at 1.3ish and a bunch in between.
Yeah, text does not properly convey "tone" well.

I appreciate the info and it seems those settings are probably correct since I'm running stable and my temps are now extremely cool at 1.21v and I'm pushing Dying Light and Rage 2 at 200fps all ultra settings.

For what ever reason, I guess the mobo just defaulted to 1.35v and since I've found no stock voltage reference until now, I wasn't sure if I should have dropped the voltage.

Do you happen to have a link to the data/spec sheet?
I'm still unable to find it for what ever reason.

Yeah, the 212 Evo was at one time considered one of the best air coolers and my temps now are definitely extremely acceptable, so it seems so far to have solved the issue.

If they were hitting [email protected] that's insane. Wouldn't think that would even be possible.

I'm assuming if anything is unstable at any point I'd be crashing, but no other symptoms such as jitter on desktop or in-game, correct?

Yeah, text does not properly convey "tone" well.

I appreciate the info and it seems those settings are probably correct since I'm running stable and my temps are now extremely cool at 1.21v and I'm pushing Dying Light and Rage 2 at 200fps all ultra settings.

For what ever reason, I guess the mobo just defaulted to 1.35v and since I've found no stock voltage reference until now, I wasn't sure if I should have dropped the voltage.

Do you happen to have a link to the data/spec sheet?
I'm still unable to find it for what ever reason.

Yeah, the 212 Evo was at one time considered one of the best air coolers and my temps now are definitely extremely acceptable, so it seems so far to have solved the issue.

If they were hitting [email protected] that's insane. Wouldn't think that would even be possible.

I'm assuming if anything is unstable at any point I'd be crashing, but no other symptoms such as jitter on desktop or in-game, correct?
no prob.
yeah, mobos, for both sides, seem to have very aggresive auto-voltage. it guarantees stability but jacks up the heat.
i look at the tech docs, on the left side, here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0600k-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-80-ghz.html
well... it was one of the best bang-for-buck heatsinks, not really in the best-of-the-best catagory. ive found that with push/pull they top out at about 4.5G, for either side.
well it was 1.252 or something close.
yeah, probably. id run a couple rounds of OCCT to double check. it does a good job of realistically loading the whole system rather than prime95 pushing it to the very edge.

no prob.
yeah, mobos, for both sides, seem to have very aggresive auto-voltage. it guarantees stability but jacks up the heat.
i look at the tech docs, on the left side, here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0600k-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-80-ghz.html
well... it was one of the best bang-for-buck heatsinks, not really in the best-of-the-best catagory. ive found that with push/pull they top out at about 4.5G, for either side.
well it was 1.252 or something close.
yeah, probably. id run a couple rounds of OCCT to double check. it does a good job of realistically loading the whole system rather than prime95 pushing it to the very edge.
Thanks for the info!

Yeah, thus far I seem completely stable and a full 10C cooler under full load when gaming now with same high FPS, no problems.
I'll give it a test on OCCT but so far so good.
If it continues, I'd probably be able to jack the clocks and up the voltage small amounts if I wanted to OC, though I wouldn't push to 4.5 probably. Game Boost pushes it to 4.1 which is already more than I probably need, honestly.
For some reason, 1.2v seemed like it would be too low, but from your info and seeing the effect of it now, it seems that it works just fine.

no prob!
nice.
one test takes an hour and its a just to be sure thing.
probably and yeah, unless youre shooting for braggin rights or a pro you dont really need the jacked up speed. gpus do most of the heavy lifting now.
yeah they took a dive in voltage a couple gens ago, i think, im on amd and deal with mostly oems at work...

Back